Convertible vs Coupe

Started by Onslaught, May 28, 2007, 02:25:45 PM

Hard top or hair in the wind? That is if you have hair.

10 (37%)
17 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Onslaught

This won't be a old vs new. Just wanted to see if people like open air or fixed roof. It could be a Mustang, BMW Z4 or whatever they make both versions of them.
I'm just using the picture of the car I like the most!

TheIntrepid

Hardtop. However, between Cayman and Boxster, Boxster.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

If I lived where I live now, coupe.

If I lived in some warm, sunny clime with very little rain, probably spring for a cabriolet.

Raghavan

Coupe, and it's not just for the sake of rigidity either, I just like the feeling of being isolated and cocooned from the world.? That said, I also perfer smaller snug cockpits to big airy ones.? If I ever owned a convertible, I'd probably have the top on most of the time, if not all the time.? If I bought an S2000, I'd probably buy a hardtop for it as well.  My Supra has a targa top, I've taken it off like once.  The Pathfinder has a sunroof, I always keep it closed with the shade closed as well.  I like as little sunlight flowing into the cabin as possible. 

J86

Completely depends on the car and application.

SVT666

Coupe.  I don't like convertibles.

Onslaught

I like them both. Coupes almost always look better and are a little easier to live with. But nothing beats a good convertible on a mountain road on a spring day.

The Pirate

Generally, I'd go for a coupe, with a few exceptions.  I'd rather have a Mustang or Corvette coupe.  I would take a Boxster before I took a Cayman, though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

goldenlover1101

For me, its based on the car and what I am buying it for. If it is a touring car or a car bought primarily for touring (and designed that way) then a convertible is better. But a car meant as a driver's car should always be a coupe. I picked the Cayman because it is sexy as hell and like I said meant to drive. They each have their purpose though!

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

CJ

Top goes down, price goes up. 

Convertible for me.

Besides, who needs a Cockster?  :P

the Teuton

I'd probably go open air versus coupe if I had to pick in most cases.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Depends on the car. Ideally I'd take a Boxster over a Cayman, but I'd rather have a 911 coupe over a cabrio.

The Cayman does look better than the Boxster, though.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 28, 2007, 07:51:04 PM
Depends on the car. Ideally I'd take a Boxster over a Cayman, but I'd rather have a 911 coupe over a cabrio.

I'd take a boxster over a cayman as well. As for the 911 coupe vs cabrio, the coupe is a good looking car but whenever i see a cabrio, it looks sexy as hell.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Usually; 2 seats open, 4 seats closed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on May 28, 2007, 05:15:30 PM
Besides, who needs a Cockster?  :P

Well Raza's makes up for his stubbiness. :P

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Minpin

That's pretty much what i think about this one.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Tave

Depends on the car. I'll vote 'vert for this thread because I like the Boxster more.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

850CSi

95% of the time Convertible.  And Boxster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cayman.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9359.msg463376#msg463376 date=1180450432
Usually; 2 seats open, 4 seats closed.

Well put.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

giant_mtb

Hard top.  The local climate is only good for 3-4 months of comfortable top-down motoring, so I'd have to store it the rest of the time and have a second car.  Realistically, hardtop.  If I was rich and owned multiple cars and just wanted a "cruiser"...soft-top.  But I chose hardtop.

ro51092

The Cayman does look better than the Boxster, though.

I agree 100% with this. Except that I like the Boxster's looks better than the Cayman's.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 29, 2007, 09:44:47 PM
Well put.

There are some cool four seat convertibles though, but the ones I can think of aren't offered as coupes.  Eos and 9-3.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 565 on May 28, 2007, 02:35:22 PM
... If I bought an S2000, I'd probably buy a hardtop for it as well...

The S2000 sucks with the hardtop on- it like magnifies the cabin noise three or four times and you can't see out of the damnable thing.

In almost every other case I'd agree with you though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Coupe.  If I want open air driving, I'll get a bike.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MidnightDave

Couldn't vote, as I agree it depends upon the car, whether it's a DD, weekend car, track car, etc.

My favorite roof, and I've had targa, t-top, 'vert and coupe, (no retractable hard top, just don't trust 'em ;-) ), is the t-top. It's easy to handle, gives you an open air feel, a "cool" look when off and security/climate control when on...
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Raza

Quote from: MidnightDave on May 30, 2007, 09:34:12 PM
Couldn't vote, as I agree it depends upon the car, whether it's a DD, weekend car, track car, etc.

My favorite roof, and I've had targa, t-top, 'vert and coupe, (no retractable hard top, just don't trust 'em ;-) ), is the t-top. It's easy to handle, gives you an open air feel, a "cool" look when off and security/climate control when on...

Why the T tops over the full panel targa?  It seems like a pain to have to remove and replace two panels.  Ease of removal and replacement is one of the things I considered when buying a convertible.  Now, my top is, unfortunately, power, but take the MX-5 and the Solstice, two cars with manual tops.  I can operate the MX-5's top in 10 seconds flat, but the Solstice takes a lot more time and involves you getting out of the car to finish the job.  Which would you rather bother with in a sudden downpour?  The targa seems much quicker than T tops. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

I love convertibles. I've had many over the years, and own 2 of them right now. I will always have a convertible.

But in this comparison, I love the Cayman more than the Boxster. Love the lines.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on May 28, 2007, 04:37:47 PM
But a car meant as a driver's car should always be a coupe.

Why? Pure sports cars are definitely driver's cars, and from the MG TC through the Miata and S2k, they've almost always been roadsters or convertibles. F1 cars are driver's cars and are open cars. Pure driver's cars don't isolate you from the environment. GT cars do, but they are supposed to be touring cars, not pure sports machines.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

etypeJohn

What a bunch of pussys   :lol:

I can't believe any of you guys would opt for a coupe over a convertible.   
You can always raise a convertible top.  You can never lower a hardtop.

:devil: Pussys :devil: