CTS-V spy pics

Started by 565, June 02, 2007, 06:50:23 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120994

"SANTA MONICA, Calif. ? Spy photos of the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V have been circulating for months, but these are the latest shots of Cadillac's upcoming super sedan.

The first time we caught spy photos and video of the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V, it was running the N?rburgring test track in Germany. It sounded as good as it looked and our best guess at the time was Z06 power under the hood.

Our prediction hasn't changed despite the obvious hood bulge on this prototype. Such bodywork is typically a telltale sign of a blower hiding beneath. Countless rumors have predicted various supercharged V8s, but we're sticking to our original call and predicting a normally aspirated 500-plus-horsepower LS7 under the hood.

Nothing else has changed on this prototype as far as we can tell. It has the same set of industrial-strength brake rotors up front along with a deep, wire mesh airdam. Equally aggressive bodywork wraps around the sides and dual exhaust pipes finish off the rear end.

The standard Cadillac CTS goes on sale this summer, so expect to see the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V at dealerships late this year.

What this means to you: This CTS-V will have the muscle to run with the big boys from Germany, but unless it gets a suspension to match it will remain a super sedan backmarker. "

It's good to see Cadillac didn't go with cross drilled rotors.?

Raghavan

I like the wheels.
Supercharged V8. :praise:

Raza

Motor Trend claims it will be 600bhp.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on June 02, 2007, 07:37:36 PM
Motor Trend claims it will be 600bhp.

And I claim it will be 999bhp.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

850CSi

Why is the beltline rising so much?

Lebowski

I've never liked the CTS very much.

Raghavan

Quote from: Lebowski on June 02, 2007, 09:53:37 PM
I've never liked the CTS very much.
Why, because this will be so much faster than your Vette? :evildude:

giant_mtb

I want a roll of that checkered tape, dammit.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 02, 2007, 10:35:21 PM
I want a roll of that checkered tape, dammit.

I need some to put on teh 'st33m!   :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

I want to put that checkered tape on my Z and drive around untill I see spy photos of it showing up.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 02, 2007, 11:20:00 PM
I want to put that checkered tape on my Z and drive around untill I see spy photos of it showing up.

I want to import something that isn't sold here and do that...  :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: 850CSi on June 02, 2007, 11:39:22 PM
I want to import something that isn't sold here and do that...  :lol:

:lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on June 02, 2007, 10:36:59 PM
I need some to put on teh 'st33m!   :rockon:

News article:

New esteem is expected to reach our shores within a few months. Suzuki has highly successfully kept the new esteem a secret, but it could not escape the public eyes. Or perhaps nobody noticed because nobody cared  :devil:

the Teuton

Why no cross-drilled rotors?  Even the old MB C320 had them.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

perhaps just to make it look more plebian for now?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2007, 12:31:34 AM
Why no cross-drilled rotors?? Even the old MB C320 had them.

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2007, 12:31:34 AM
Why no cross-drilled rotors?? Even the old MB C320 had them.

Probably because GM opted for functionality instead of bling bling looks.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=50

A good site for brakes.

Here is what they say about crossdrilled/sloted rotors.

Cross-Drilled /Slotted Rotors

The second thing you can do to improve your brake performance is often to go to a larger rotor. We all know that this gives the rotor further ability to dissipate heat away from the pads through itself and through the air (conductive and convective heat transfer). So obviously a larger pad, a larger rotor, or both result in better brake performance by avoiding brake fade.

But what about cross drilled or slotted rotors? Well the common belief in the main stream is that somehow slotted or cross-drilled rotors allow for better performance by handling heat. This is 100 percent false. The individuals involved in such fallacies mention that air through the holes or slots work to cool the rotor (convective heat transfer into the air from the rotor). The issue is that from physics we know that metal transfers heat better then air by a significant amount. As such the larger mass of the rotor becomes more important then the larger surface area of the rotor in any situation other then the optimal. Cross drilling and slotting rotors are not optimal manners of creating metal to air transfer through larger surface areas. There is not much airflow through the holes or slots. Furthermore for cross drilling the holes will fill with brake dust in effect lowering the cooling ability of the rotors vanes they pass through.

Rigidity

From the information above we can glean that the rotor begins to work as a heat sink. Now by cross drilling or slotting we are decreasing the overall amount of metal to transfer this heat to. Clearly we are decreasing performance of the rotor to dissipate heat amongst itself. Furthermore, the holes of a cross-drilled or slotted rotor decrease the area of the pad that contacts the rotor. This concentrates the heat more on certain areas of the pad, which has similar effects to that of using a smaller pad. As such the pad heats up more quickly.

We are also damaging the brakes structural rigidity. The iron in a brake rotor is made of a crystalline structure. By drilling holes in said surface we cut the end grains creating a situation that breeds cracks. Furthermore, even if we were to cut the rotors correctly to avoid cutting the end grains structural rigidity is still decreased. The temperature around the holes will be slightly less then that of the entire rotor leading to temperature stress. Moreover, the decreased mass will result in lowered rigidity.

Advantages

So what do cross drilled and slotted rotors accomplish? The main original purpose of slotted and cross-drilled rotors was to vent gases that buildup between the pads and the rotors. However, this reasoning is no longer valid. As the years have gone by pads have been designed that produce very little gas. Furthermore many pads come with groves in themselves that allow for the removal of any minor gas that is created. A slotted or drilled rotor always decreases the rotors capability to dissipate heat amongst itself. A slotted or drilled rotor will also clean off the brake pad as it passes the slots at the expense of faster pad wear. As such there are benefits for rally and dirt tracks. Furthermore, the slots or holes themselves can serve to wipe off the top layer of glaze that tends to appear on your brake pads. Some racers say this last part is beneficial while others question whether the slots will fill before the deglaze affect is ever helpful. I have yet to determine the answer to this question.

The answer of slotted and cross-drilled rotor usefulness seems to lie with whether the benefit of cleaning the pads outstrips the loss in heat dissipation. In terms of cross drilling there are so many costs that nothing is accomplished beyond perhaps giving you a certain bling look. In a motorcycle or other extremely light vehicle the decrease in rotational inertia and unsprung mass might perhaps be useful (once other more efficient avenues are exhausted). However, in a street car or race car the speeds and weight of such vehicles will make the relatively miniscule decrease be outweighed by the need for more heat dissipation. Slotted rotors, meanwhile, share the positives of cross drilling but notably are slightly less subject to the costs. They do not impede airflow through the rotors vanes, nor do they have as large an affect on structural rigidity. Therefore, the need for slotting depends on your application.

Eye of the Tiger

omicron

Here's hoping for an HSV GTS with the LS7 and MRC!

giant_mtb

Quote from: omicron on June 03, 2007, 01:19:53 AM
Here's hoping for an HSV GTS with the LS7 and MRC!

I hope it has some OMG, LOL, and BBQ with it, too.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 03, 2007, 08:04:57 AM
I hope it has some OMG, LOL, and BBQ with it, too.

:lol:

But seriously; there are becoming too many acronyms to remember. Remember back in the days when cars had names!?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

omicron

Like the MGB GT V8, or the HSV GTS-R, or the FTE TE50, or the HSV SV5000, or the FPV GT-P, or the AMC AMX.

Raghavan

Quote from: omicron on June 03, 2007, 08:33:38 AM
Like the MGB GT V8, or the HSV GTS-R, or the FTE TE50, or the HSV SV5000, or the FPV GT-P, or the AMC AMX.
Or the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO MR FQ400.

omicron

Quote from: Raghavan on June 03, 2007, 08:39:59 AM
Or the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO MR FQ400.

Yes! Or the Subaru Impreza WRX STi S202.

S204STi

Hehe, some idiot over at NASIOC.com saw an earlier spy-pic of this car with more of the checker stuff on it, and he was convinced it was the new "folding hardtop four-door CTS."  :confused:

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on June 03, 2007, 08:46:58 AM
Yes! Or the Subaru Impreza WRX STi S202.

Or R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R 400R Preceding model?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

mojammer

Quote from: M_power on June 02, 2007, 08:28:36 PM
And I claim it will be 999bhp.

Serious.? Motortrend always makes a bloated call on power and stuff like that.

But it seems like the CTS will eventually have 600hp.?

5-series M:
340hp, 394hp, 500hp

E-Class AMG:
349hp, 469hp, 500hp (was there an AMG E before the na E55?)

Audi S6 (RS6):
340hp, 450hp, 435hp, upcoming ~550hp

3-series M:
240/320hp(euro), 333hp, 414hp

Audi S4 (RS4):
250hp, ~350hp(euro), 340hp, 420hp

C-Class AMG:
300hp, 350hp, 355hp, upcoming ~475hp

CTS-V:
400hp, coming soon an almost guaranteed 500hp or more, and what's next? Is there a limit, or are the super sedans going to keep going till they're 5000lbs, 750hp monsters (the S65 is only missing 100hp)?