Greatest Ferrari of all time???

Started by sportyaccordy, June 03, 2007, 09:18:50 PM

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

Quote from: ro51092 on June 04, 2007, 04:07:51 PM
wow. How could you not pick F40?
How can you pick any one Ferrari?
My favorites are the 360 Challenge Stradale, the 512 Testarossa, the 288 GTO, the 500 Superamerica, and the 400 California Spyder

nickdrinkwater

The 360 is actually one of the ugliest Ferraris of all time IMO.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 04, 2007, 02:13:34 PM
The F50 was also hideous, and didn't have the same impact on the world as the F40. From what I know, when the F40 came out, it was the fastest car in the world and basically unlike anything the world had ever seen. The F50 was basically routine in comparison...

The F40 was certainly not unique,  most evident by the fact that Enzo Ferrari had the car built as a direct competitor to the Porsche 959.  And it's obvious when you compare the specs and nature of the two cars.  Both cars packed twin turbo engines displacing about 2.8 liters producing very similar HP levels.  Both cars were extremely modified version of base cars, the 308 GTB and the Porsche 911.  Plus the fact that they pretty much admitted to targeting the 959.

Here's the article on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F40

"As early as 1984, the Maranello factory had begun development of an evolution model of the 288 GTO intended to compete against the 959, and possibly the Jaguar XJ220R, in FIA Group B. However, when the FIA brought an end to the Group B category for the 1986 season, Enzo was left with five 288 GTO Evoluzione development cars, and no series in which to campagin them. Enzo's desire to leave a legacy in his final supercar allowed the Evoluzione program to be further developed to produce a car exclusively for road use."

So basically the F40 program came about from a terminated FIA racing series.  Many many high performance sports cars in the past have come about by extreme modification of lesser road cars. The F40 was certainly nothing new, and nothing unique.

The F50, on the other hand was definitely a unique piece of engineering, the likes of which the world will probably never see again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F50

It was a road going Formula 1 car.  That is a statement that many manufactures try to claim but rarely pull off.  Ferrari did with the F50.  First off, it actually used a modified Formula 1 engine.  It's not  Formula 1 "inspired" or anything like that, it was actually a modified version of the Ferrari F92 Formula 1 engine, actually built from the same block.  It also was used in the amazing Ferrari 333SP race car before it came to the F50.

The drivetrain layout of the F50 was also directly taken from Formula 1, as well as the suspension design, the carbon fiber tub design, and the fact that the rear suspension was directly bolted to the transmission, and the fact that the engine and transmission are structural components of the car. 

The F50 was, and still is the closest thing to a street legal Formula 1 car, the modern Enzo doesn't come close.  To top it all off, the F50 is the most exclusive of the F40 F50 Enzo lineup.  The F40, on the other hand, is by far the most common of the three.

Minpin

I would have to go with the 550 maranello myself. love that car.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

JYODER240

Although not the greatest the 550 Barchetta or 575 Superamerica might be my pick if I could choose any Ferrari.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza on June 04, 2007, 12:44:49 PM
I think the most beautiful car ever made is this:

I don't know if I would dare say that, but it's tempting to agree with you.

the Teuton

The Dino is technically a glorified Fiat, but I digress.  It looks really cool, but why favorite?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on June 05, 2007, 12:02:25 AM
The Dino is technically a glorified Fiat, but I digress.? It looks really cool, but why favorite?

Bahhh!

Ferrari Dinos are Ferraris.

Fiat Dinos are Fiats.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 565 on June 04, 2007, 12:05:20 PM
Eh.   I never liked the F40.  I don't know why everyone goes so crazy for it.  It's development was done on the 288GTO Evoluzione (which shares many of it's parts), which was just a hopped up version of the regular 288GTO, which itself was a hopped up version of the entry level 308GTB.  I'd much rather have the F50, which was built as a road going formula car, with the suspension directly bolted the the transmission. 

I am with you on this.  I would pick the F50 anyday over the F40.  I also think it is MUCH more attractive.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2007, 12:15:49 AM

Bahhh!

Ferrari Dinos are Ferraris.

Fiat Dinos are Fiats.

Fiat Dinos are Fiats.

Dino 208s and 308s after 1975 are Ferraris.

206s, 246s, 308s & 208s are Dinos.