The Official Mustang Thread

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:07:09 AM

SVT666

Big 3 Performance is putting a 650 hp Limited Edition Mustang into production.? 100 will be built and they come with a 3 year warranty.  Pricing is expected to be LESS then a GT500. That's what I call a performance bargain.

Big 3 Performance Mustang

SVT666

Ford confirms that the next Bullitt Mustang will be a late 2008 model year release.

2008 Bullitt Mustang

SVT666

I just read a rumour that along with a redesigned exterior the 2010 Mustang will have a BOSS 5.7L engine option.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 20, 2007, 10:34:08 AM
Big 3 Performance is putting a 650 hp Limited Edition Mustang into production.? 100 will be built and they come with a 3 year warranty.? Pricing is expected to be LESS then a GT500. That's what I call a performance bargain.

Big 3 Performance Mustang

I like what they did with the rear end there. It's much cleaner without that giant chrome round thingy.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Europe has a Mustang tuner and they are building some wicked cars.

Milan Mustang

Rich

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 20, 2007, 10:37:36 AM
Ford confirms that the next Bullitt Mustang will be a late 2008 model year release.

2008 Bullitt Mustang

Hmmm sounds cool, but I have my heart set on a ragtop :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

I should post this on a mustang forum, but I'm too lazy to register... and most of you will say if I have to ask then a Mustang isn't for me, but here goes...

What mileage will an '05 Mustang GT 'vert get on the highway with the cruise control set at 70mph?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Ron From Regina

Cant speak for the vert, but depending on the wind I get around 24-25 miles per us gal at that speed. I've seen as low as 22 going into a strong head wind.

Edit:, I should point out that I have the 5spd, and 3.55 gears. 07s and up, the 3.55s are an option. The standard gears are a littler taller, so milage would be a little better.

Raza

The more I look at older Cobras, the more I think about buying one.  Randy's is too expensive, but there are plenty on Autotrader in my range.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Quote from: NACar on August 20, 2007, 10:42:05 AM
I like what they did with the rear end there. It's much cleaner without that giant chrome round thingy.

Oh man that looks awesome!
My most favorite looking Mustang by far.

Raza

Saleen sells a full glass roof for the new Mustang.  It's awesome.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Man, I should have waited a year for my insurance premium discount, saved up a bit more, and bought a Mustang.  :cry:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on August 22, 2007, 12:19:42 PM
Man, I should have waited a year for my insurance premium discount, saved up a bit more, and bought a Mustang.? :cry:
Yes, yes you should have.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2007, 12:35:18 PM
Yes, yes you should have.

It's still in the plan though.  This car needs to get me through the next few years (school and whatnot), then I'm buying a beater truck (Ranger or Tacoma) and a Mustang GT.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: Nethead on August 22, 2007, 12:14:14 PM
RazDude: Check out Miss Molly's Mollypop Saleen--it has the full glass roof and it looks great from above (not really noticeable in side, front, and rear views).  5.0 Mustang has a feature on Good Golly Miss Molly in her metallic pink dress and her metallic pink Saleen, with a fabulous shot of Miss Molly through the glass roof.  You're gonna get one of these, of course, so you've probably seen the article...

I haven't been reading any Mustang mags, actually.  I was going to ask Hemi what his MM and FF thing was though.  I need information on older Cobras.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9470.msg546555#msg546555 date=1187811241
I haven't been reading any Mustang mags, actually.? I was going to ask Hemi what his MM and FF thing was though.? I need information on older Cobras.
MM&FF is the perfect mag for Cobras.? They love Cobras and virtually every issue has at least one Cobra in it.? I believe one of their project cars is a 2003 Cobra right now.? They may even be working on a 1996 Cobra too.? They focus mainly on the 03-04 Cobras, but they do have tech articles on the 1996 Cobra.? They also feature someone's 1996 Cobra every so often.? 5.0 Mustang is a waste product for the most part because they do very little driving.? Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords (MM&FF) is the best Mustang magazine on the shelf.? Modified Mustang is a lot like 5.0 Mustang and Mustang Monthly is a really good mag, but it focuses on classic Stangs.

IMHO, MM&FF is the mag you want.? They archive their tech articles and feature cars and such on their website so you should be able to find stuff there.? If you can't find what you are looking for, PM me and I'll answer any questions you have.? In fact asking me might be easier because I don't have to look most of it up.

MM&FF

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on August 22, 2007, 12:39:01 PM
HemiDude:? In addition to Miss Molly and her 465 HP Saleen, the current 5.0 Mustang has a feature article on Miller Motorsports Park and the Mustangs you can rent or buy from them as well as enroll in their driving schools.? Like so many effin' articles, there are no figures.? Nevertheless, one learns that stripping the interior out of an S197 saves 340 pounds (whether the stripping includes ripping out the door windows was not stated, but the pics would indicate that they are indeed ripped out).? MMP will sell you their MMP Mustang with an interior, and even their Mustang Challenge model sans the interior (leaving you sans $55,000).? Presumably the MMP Mustang is street legal but no such presumption should be made about the Mustang Challenge model.? The Mustang Challenge model is essentially a three-quarter FR500C for a little under half the bucks.? The "First Drive! Steeda GT 500" mentioned on the cover misleads one into thinking a test drive of the Steeda GT500 occurs between the covers...Hell no--Steve Turner drives it, but the entire "article" is only one caption under a one-and-a-third-page picture of the black-with-silver-stripes Steeda GT500 that made the blogs a month or so ago.? I bought the mag anyway because of the MMP article.? I'm too easy...

5.0 Mustang Magazine sucks.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2007, 01:44:47 PM
MM&FF is the perfect mag for Cobras.  They love Cobras and virtually every issue has at least one Cobra in it.  I believe one of their project cars is a 2003 Cobra right now.  They may even be working on a 1996 Cobra too.  They focus mainly on the 03-04 Cobras, but they do have tech articles on the 1996 Cobra.  They also feature someone's 1996 Cobra every so often.  5.0 Mustang is a waste product for the most part because they do very little driving.  Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords (MM&FF) is the best Mustang magazine on the shelf.  Modified Mustang is a lot like 5.0 Mustang and Mustang Monthly is a really good mag, but it focuses on classic Stangs.

IMHO, MM&FF is the mag you want.  They archive their tech articles and feature cars and such on their website so you should be able to find stuff there.  If you can't find what you are looking for, PM me and I'll answer any questions you have.  In fact asking me might be easier because I don't have to look most of it up.

MM&FF

Cool.  Thanks for that link.  I'm thinking about a 2001 myself.  Mineral Gray...

And an IRS, whereas the 94-98 had a solid rear axle. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

The 2001 is a very good car and came with 320 hp.? I am thinking of one of those as well when it's time for another Stang because with just a few mods the 2001 Cobra will top 400 hp without any trouble and it still costs half what a 03-04 still command.? To get to 400 hp, all you need are cams, CAI, and a catback.? A custom dyno tune, long tube headers, X-pipe, MAF, throttle body & plenum, pullies, and intake manifold will put you in the 440-450 range.? It's a great engine.?

The only downside to this car is the IRS because it's prone to axle hop (which can be corrected with aftermarket suspension bits).? It's also prone to grenading on the dragstrip which is why a lot of Cobra owners who frequent the track have swapped it out for a solid axle.? The IRS isn't a very good setup in the Cobra and a solid axle Mustang with a Watts Link will outperform it.? There is an IRS bushing kit from Maximum Motorsports though that dramatically improves the performance of the Cobra IRS by replacing all the stock bushings with ones made from urethane.? Who knew a different bushing would make that much of a difference?? Maximum Motorsports

The clutch will handle additional power, but when it goes I would recommend a RAM, McLeod, or Ford Racing clutch to replace it with.?

The shifter stinks and MM&FF actually called it a "mess of a shifter".? I highly recommend a Hurst unit which is IMHO the best shifter made for that car.

Raza

Cool.  How can I make it handle like an M3?

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Project Ice Box on their website is a 2001 Cobra that registered 621 hp at the wheels when they were done.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2007, 02:11:46 PM
Project Ice Box on their website is a 2001 Cobra that registered 621 hp at the wheels when they were done.

:lol:

You Mustang guys are really single minded, eh?  320 is plenty of power.  0-60 in mid fives is very fast for a daily driver.  It's just the handling that I want to improve.  Apparently the understeer is pretty bad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Actually 0-60mph was right around 5.0 seconds.  The handling can easily be improved on with the Maximum Motorsports suspension packages.  They carry several different packages for IRS Cobras.  Keep in mind that handling still won't be the car's strong suit even after modifications.  But on another note, 600 hp is easily attainable with a supercharger. :lol:

:rockon:

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2007, 02:23:04 PM
Actually 0-60mph was right around 5.0 seconds.  The handling can easily be improved on with the Maximum Motorsports suspension packages.  They carry several different packages for IRS Cobras.  Keep in mind that handling still won't be the car's strong suit even after modifications.  But on another note, 600 hp is easily attainable with a supercharger. :lol:

:rockon:

Now, on a FWD car, you can get a good amount of oversteer by using a big rear sway bar.  Would that work for the Mustang as well?  I'd trade outright grip for oversteer. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

You don't need to do anything to induce oversteer in this car except plant your right foot. :ohyeah:

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2007, 02:35:20 PM
You don't need to do anything to induce oversteer in this car except plant your right foot. :ohyeah:

I was hoping for a more natural oversteer progression, other than just power on. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9470.msg546619#msg546619 date=1187814386
Now, on a FWD car, you can get a good amount of oversteer by using a big rear sway bar.? Would that work for the Mustang as well?? I'd trade outright grip for oversteer.?

It won't matter if its FWD, AWD, or RWD a stiffer rear sway will transfer weight to the front thus making the rear end come around. 
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Ron From Regina

This thread needed bump to the front page, so I'll post a pic of a Roush 427R I saw at lunch yesterday. Pic is from my camera phone, and there was another car about to block my view, so it isn't the greatest.

I'd have no problem driving one.
http://www.roushperformance.com/mustang_427r.shtml

SVT666

I agree.  Two valves doesn't make any sense so I would guess it would be a 4 valve DOHC.  I'm stoked aobut this engine if it can power a Mustang through the 1/4 mile in 9 seconds without forced induction or nitrous.  Could it be a big bore version of the Hurricane?

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on September 02, 2007, 11:31:42 PM
HEMI666:? HemiDude, that head is so narrow that it seems improbable that DOHCs could fit unless the camshaft lobes act directly upon cups atop the valve stems.? While this would be a powerful setup (it was the setup used on Ford's 1964 and later DOHC Indy engines and on the Cosworth-Ford DFVs), it makes for time-consuming valve adjustments--no sweat in racing engines that are torn down regularly but a pain in a street engine.? Besides, four-valves-per-cylinder operated by a SOHC has been done for decades, and is hardly a technology leap from three-valves-per-cylinder operated by a SOHC as is done in the current Mustang 4.6 V8s.? The SOHC three-valve works so well that it may be all that will ever be needed once you throw in a bore spacing that allows for some really huge displacement.? Now that the engine has been photographed in public, I expect we'll hear more details very, very soon...

Actually, the valve covers resemble the aftermarket high-lift-camshaft rocker covers seen on some pushrod 302s/351s more than they resemble any valve covers seen on the OHC modulars.?
SOHC 3 valve makes sense too.  I can't wait to hear more about this engine.  To power a Mustang down the track that fast, it would need at least 700 hp in NA trim.  That's a monster engine.