RWD Pontiac G6 in 2010

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:15:08 AM

SVT666

A RWD Pontiac G6 is coming in 2010.  That will be really cool.  I wonder if there will be a RWD G5 down the road.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-rear-wheel-drive-pontiac-g6-due-in-2010.html

Raghavan

That's awesome!
And if the G5 became RWD, then the Cobalt will be RWD too...
Cheap RWD cars coming!!!

omicron

Torana concept to go into production? Thank you, O Pontiac, for assuring sales volume.

ifcar

Bad move. They need to have a sporty-looking FWD car without sporty substance to satisfy people who want a fast-looking but comfortable family sedan, the ones who have been buying the Grand Am and G6 in vast quantities. They need what the current G6 is, what the Dodge Avenger is, but better. They don't need everything in their line to be designed at the tiny enthusiast section of the market.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on June 04, 2007, 10:33:15 AM
Bad move. They need to have a sporty-looking FWD car without sporty substance to satisfy people who want a fast-looking but comfortable family sedan, the ones who have been buying the Grand Am and G6 in vast quantities. They need what the current G6 is, what the Dodge Avenger is, but better. They don't need everything in their line to be designed at the tiny enthusiast section of the market.
It's about time Pontiac became the enthusiast brand GM always hailed it to be.

Raghavan

The people who want a sport-looking FWD car can buy a Saab then.
RWD.  :rockon: Plus this is a great way for Pontiac to become the enthusiast division of GM (which they really aren't right now).

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 04, 2007, 10:37:45 AM
It's about time Pontiac became the enthusiast brand GM always hailed it to be.

Agreed.  It's the only way the marque will survive, IMHO.

SJ_GTI

I tend to agree with Ifcar.

Most people buying cars don't really know much about them. The G6 has been reasonably successful. It has decent sales volume and sells for singificantly more than the car it replaced (the Grand Am). Its not a great car but it is pretty nice IMHO.

GM needs to stick with a strategy and make their cars better with each generation. Instead it always seems like they are a bit scatterbrained. They will make a decent car and then cancel it just because it wasn't hailed as the next big thing.

I posted something similar on GMI about the Cobalt, but many car companies would love to have the volume that the G6 pulls in. GM would be better served by building on a mild success rather than trying to start from scratch in a whole new segment.

Northlands

I think Ifcar has a good point. They've been selling fwd Grand Ams for ages. It's had a sporting look to it, but still provides a fairly comfortable family aspect to it. If it went more " hardcore "  :rolleyes:  this particular model will sell less. Plus  it won't be sharing with the Malibu anymore , and cost a little more to produce it. 

However, I do agree GM should make a sport division. Pontiac was supposed to be it before.  I'd personally like to drive a rwd G6 ( or similar sized car ).

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT666

Quote from: Northlands on June 04, 2007, 11:21:40 AM
I think Ifcar has a good point. They've been selling fwd Grand Ams for ages. It's had a sporting look to it, but still provides a fairly comfortable family aspect to it. If it went more " hardcore "? :rolleyes:? this particular model will sell less. Plus? it won't be sharing with the Malibu anymore , and cost a little more to produce it.?

However, I do agree GM should make a sport division. Pontiac was supposed to be it before.? I'd personally like to drive a rwd G6 ( or similar sized car ).
The Malibu is supposed to be RWD too, so it will still share a platform.  Ignore this.  It's wrong.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 04, 2007, 11:26:51 AM
The Malibu is supposed to be RWD too, so it will still share a platform.

I've never heard the Malibu is going to RWD. I am 99.999% sure it will stay FWD. The Malibu is the defintive FWD family car in Chevy's lineup.

I have heard (on the interwebs) that the Impala may go RWD, sharing a platform with the Pontiac G8/Chevy Camaro. This is a different platform than what is being discussed for the G6 though.

I just don't see the demand for RWD vehicles. The Chrysler 300C looks more distinctive, has better powertrains, and in general gets far better write-ups than the Impala...yet the boring Impala easily outsells the 300C.

The Pirate

I think SJ_GTI is right.  The Malibu got larger with it's last redesign, so buyers of large FWD sedans wouldn't be alienated when the Impala switched over to RWD (on the Zeta platform, I believe).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rich

I thought I'd heard that the Malibu was staying FWD since the Impala was going RWD.

I have to disagree with IFCAR.  If people want a FWD family car, buy a Chevy or a Saturn.  The G6 has never done well in any of IFCARs comparos as a family car anyway, might as well move it to be a total performance sedan package.

There will always be the Chevy SS for people that want FWD.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

I am so glad that RWD cars are slowly coming back.  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Sorry, I was thinking of the Impala.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 04, 2007, 11:43:46 AM

The G6 has never done well in any of IFCARs comparos as a family car anyway, might as well move it to be a total performance sedan package.

People don't buy the G6 because they are looking for the most practical family car. they need a practical family car, but want something sporty. The G6, while maybe not as functional as a Malibu or Camry as far as space, is pretty roomy (nice rear legroom, though headroom isn't great) and has a comfy ride while still looking like a sporty car.

Now I will say the Aura seems to fit into the same space that the G6 was in, but so far the G6 far outsells the Aura.

Raza

I recently read a letter in a Motor Trend, I believe that said "Why would I spend extra money on a Charger when I could get an Avenger with similar looks for less?", paraphrased of course, though the language was no less simple.  The average consumer, even ones that read car magazines, doesn't seem to be able to tell the advantages or disadvantages of either setup.  I don't see how this could hurt at all.  Sure, there would be performance, enthusiast minded variants, but the average car would be just soft and compliant as a standard E class or 5 series, two midsize, RWD sedans.  If they keep interior space similar, then they shouldn't lose sales; only gain a reputation.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 04, 2007, 11:51:44 AM
People don't buy the G6 because they are looking for the most practical family car. they need a practical family car, but want something sporty. The G6, while maybe not as functional as a Malibu or Camry as far as space, is pretty roomy (nice rear legroom, though headroom isn't great) and has a comfy ride while still looking like a sporty car.

Now I will say the Aura seems to fit into the same space that the G6 was in, but so far the G6 far outsells the Aura.

There's nothing to keep a RWD G6 from having good rear legroom, and having a comfy ride (in base trim).? GM has sooooo many FWD sedans for sale, and I'd appreciate it if they had more RWD ones.? It isn't like the general public knows a difference in RWD or FWD.? If the volume sales that Pontiac might lose in the switch to RWD, it'd be great if they could bring Oldsmobile back and sell the RWD cars that enthusiasts want.? If you want a RWD sedan with a manual from GM your only choices now are G6 G8 or CTS, and they both are pretty big cars.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

The Pirate

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 04, 2007, 12:02:44 PM
  If you want a RWD sedan with a manual from GM your only choices now are G6 or CTS, and they both are pretty big cars.

And in the case of the CTS, it's a bit more than a lot of folks are willing to pay (myself included).  I'm a used car buyer anyway, though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

FlatBlackCaddy

just making the cars rwd won't make them sell, they have to be GOOD rwd cars.

280Z Turbo

RWD does make sense for sporty cars...look at the 240SX. It's a cult classic because of the RWD.

I don't see how this makes sense for a G6, however. The packaging benefits and perceived security of FWD are too much to ignore, IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 04, 2007, 01:48:59 PM
RWD does make sense for sporty cars...look at the 240SX. It's a cult classic because of the RWD.

I don't see how this makes sense for a G6, however. The packaging benefits and perceived security of FWD are too much to ignore, IMO.
That doesn't stop people from buying the other RWD cars on the market.

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 04, 2007, 01:48:59 PM

The popularity of the 240SX showed up years after it had been discontinued due to the drifting craze.  It was not very popular when it was actually in production, especially the last couple of years.  IIRC, they didn't even sell 4000 a year in '97 and '98.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 04, 2007, 11:37:39 AM

I just don't see the demand for RWD vehicles. The Chrysler 300C looks more distinctive, has better powertrains, and in general gets far better write-ups than the Impala...yet the boring Impala easily outsells the 300C.

IIRC, nearly 50% of Impalas go to fleets.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I think its a good move...

I had a thought they needed to do this after seeing the G8 at the NYAS.  There you had a real bonefied sport sedan (but on the large side).  You turn around and saw some wannable G6 GXP.  For me, it just tarnished the G8.  Put this new G6 along side of the G8, and now you have the makings of a lineup that will appear to the audience POntiac is suppose to appeal to - enthusiasts.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

goldenlover1101

I tihnk its a good idea. Pontiac needs to be a bargain BMW and leave FWD econo-cars to Chevy. They are afterall, the catch-all brand, from Trucks to subcompacts. As long as Pontiac styles it right I think it will sell well without incentives.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on June 04, 2007, 04:22:45 PM
IIRC, nearly 50% of Impalas go to fleets.

I'm sure a substantial portion of 300s also goes to fleets.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on June 04, 2007, 04:21:07 PM
The popularity of the 240SX showed up years after it had been discontinued due to the drifting craze. It was not very popular when it was actually in production, especially the last couple of years. IIRC, they didn't even sell 4000 a year in '97 and '98.

Regardless of that, I'd say there would be a market for it now if it was cheap and RWD. Although since the Z moved downmarket from the Z32, it's not necessary anyway.

USA_Idol

Eh.   :huh:  Just kill off the Pontiac brand entirely.  Give Chevy a handful of affordable RWD performance cars to sell alongside their FWD cars.  With that plan, there would be no need for Pontiac.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on June 04, 2007, 10:38:41 AM
The people who want a sport-looking FWD car can buy a Saab then.
RWD.  :rockon: Plus this is a great way for Pontiac to become the enthusiast division of GM (which they really aren't right now).

Grand Am shoppers as a whole probably aren't going to be able to afford a Saab.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]