I want a definitive answer... (clutch question)

Started by 850CSi, June 04, 2007, 07:49:06 PM

850CSi

Okay, when I want to downshift quickly, it's best for the transmission (and to not have the car buck like a bronco) to blip the throttle.

Do I HAVE to double-clutch (Neutral, clutch out, throttle, clutch in, gear), or can I blip the throttle in neutral with the clutch in and not cause any damage to the clutch and transmission?

The latter only makes sense to me with a modern transmission but I want to make sure, because I've always double-clutched. That, and I'm not a mechanical guru.

Eye of the Tiger

There's not much of a point in double-clutching a modern synchornized transmission.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on June 04, 2007, 07:49:06 PM
Okay, when I want to downshift quickly, it's best for the transmission (and to not have the car buck like a bronco) to blip the throttle.

Do I HAVE to double-clutch (Neutral, clutch out, throttle, clutch in, gear), or can I blip the throttle in neutral with the clutch in and not cause any damage to the clutch and transmission?

The latter only makes sense to me with a modern transmission but I want to make sure, because I've always double-clutched. That, and I'm not a mechanical guru.

In a modern transmission with syncros, double clutching is not necessary.  I do it sometimes on very cold mornings when the car isn't warmed up yet, and the gearbox is a bit balky.  Other than that, I never do it.

FWIW, my car has 118K HARD miles on the original clutch and tranny.  I just change the tranny oil every 30K miles.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

If I need to downshift quickly for a turn I just rev-match by heel-and-toeing. If I need to downshift to a lower gear to pass someone I just leave it in gear, push in the clutch, rev-match while selecting the gear I want, then I let out the clutch.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

Blipping the throttle before letting the clutch out but not double clutching will reduce clutch slippage during re-engagement, which is always a good thing for your clutch.  You don't even need to be in neutral.  You can shift to the next gear and blip the throttle right before letting the clutch out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

The Pirate

Man, you guys are all fancy with your shifting.  I usually just push in the clutch and have my passenger do the shifting, that way I don't have to set down my beer.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Hell, if you blip it right, you don't even need to use the clutch at all.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on June 04, 2007, 08:00:13 PM
Man, you guys are all fancy with your shifting. I usually just push in the clutch and have my passenger do the shifting, that way I don't have to set down my beer.

I just steer with my knees while I'm shifting with one hand and doing whatever else needs to be done with the other hand.  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Blipping is good for smooth clutch take-up, double clutching is good for helping your synchros.? You should not have to double-clutch unless you notice it being a bit balky, like The Pirate mentioned.  I double-clutch sometimes to help the car get into first gear, because it can be balky at times...stupid Subaru transmission.

Secret Chimp

Heel and toe shift if you want, but double-clutching is silly. Sure it's "easy on the synchros," but people don't have their synchros breaking left and right by not doing toodle-doo 1920s fancy feet moves.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 04, 2007, 11:10:27 PM
Heel and toe shift if you want, but double-clutching is silly. Sure it's "easy on the synchros," but people don't have their synchros breaking left and right by not doing toodle-doo 1920s fancy feet moves.

Al Jolson is miffed!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

850CSi

Quote from: MX793 on June 04, 2007, 07:59:13 PM
Blipping the throttle before letting the clutch out but not double clutching will reduce clutch slippage during re-engagement, which is always a good thing for your clutch.? You don't even need to be in neutral.? You can shift to the next gear and blip the throttle right before letting the clutch out.

I always learned that in general having the clutch in and giving it any gas with the car in gear was a no-no...

And not only does it help clutch slippage, it enables a much faster and smoother shift.

850CSi

Quote from: The Pirate on June 04, 2007, 08:00:13 PM
Man, you guys are all fancy with your shifting.? I usually just push in the clutch and have my passenger do the shifting, that way I don't have to set down my beer.

:lol:

850CSi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 04, 2007, 08:00:25 PM

Always used to do that with the Audi... Could drive easily without the clutch. I've shifted in the 3er before without the clutch but it's more strict and the range is much smaller.

850CSi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 04, 2007, 11:10:27 PM

Yeah, it's pointless to protect the synchros, they're there for a reason.

850CSi

SO what I got so far... If I'm rolling along in 1st gear and I shift to 2nd, once I'm in 2nd gear I can stay with the clutch depressed and give the gas a quick stab and then release the clutch? Same goes for downshifting?

I love my transmission but the way it's geared (along with the delay valve) makes it necessary to match revs.

850CSi

This video's interesting... Is it me or is he staying on the gas when he's upshifting...?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 850CSi on June 04, 2007, 11:43:23 PM
This video's interesting... Is it me or is he staying on the gas when he's upshifting...?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA

I can't see the video- work filters-but there is a tried and true technique in drag racing in which you never lift the throttle, made famous by a guy named Ronnie Sox.  Its basically a timing game using the clutch only with sort oof a 3/4 pump to get out of gear and a very slight pump to get into the next one. It has to be done in one uninterrupted fluid motion, and is very hard on the gears.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 850CSi on June 04, 2007, 11:36:13 PM
SO what I got so far... If I'm rolling along in 1st gear and I shift to 2nd, once I'm in 2nd gear I can stay with the clutch depressed and give the gas a quick stab and then release the clutch? Same goes for downshifting?

I love my transmission but the way it's geared (along with the delay valve) makes it necessary to match revs.

You should only need to blip on a downshift; on an upshift the revs should drop by themselves.

Check out this power shift on the first change and an clutchless upshift on the second.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4&mode=related&search=

footoflead

When I'm driving, i try to blip as much as possible but i don't double clutch.  It is perfectly okay to do that in modern transmission
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

VTEC_Inside

Throttle blipping downshifter here.

Never tried, nor never will bother double clutching unless I end up behind the wheel of some vintage auto.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

heelntoe

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 04, 2007, 08:00:25 PM
on a motorcycle, you can put light pressure on the shifter while you sharply get off the gas and the shifter will fall into gear.  :devil:
driving a car without a clutch occasionally, the hardest part is getting off from a start.
@heelntoe

MX793

Quote from: 850CSi on June 04, 2007, 11:32:15 PM
I always learned that in general having the clutch in and giving it any gas with the car in gear was a no-no...

And not only does it help clutch slippage, it enables a much faster and smoother shift.

So long as the clutch is fully in, this will cause no damage to anything in your drivetrain whether the car is in gear or in neutral.  If the clutch is in, the engine is completely disconnected from the gearbox and they have no effect on one another.  Anyone who tells you that giving it the gas with the clutch in when the transmission is in gear is bad but that it's OK to do when in neutral has no idea what they're talking about.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

i perfer a double-clutch if I'm doing something like downshifting from 3rd to 2nd around 8k rpms... lots can go wrong with spinning synchros up that hard  :partyon:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

When downshifting, it's best to floor the throttle and the clutch, shift, and then release the clutch as quickly as possible while pulling the handbrake.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on June 05, 2007, 05:20:38 PM
i perfer a double-clutch if I'm doing something like downshifting from 3rd to 2nd around 8k rpms... lots can go wrong with spinning synchros up that hard  :partyon:
You downshift into second so that the engine is at 8k RPM?  What is your redline?

Raghavan

Quote from: Champ on June 05, 2007, 05:43:53 PM
You downshift into second so that the engine is at 8k RPM? What is your redline?
Dude, he has an RX-8, 9,000 RPM redline. ;)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on June 05, 2007, 12:29:08 AM
Check out this power shift on the first change and an clutchless upshift on the second.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4&mode=related&search=

That was SICK!!!

And I blip... again I don't see the point of double clutching or whatever it is, the synchros take care of all that :huh:

MX793

If you shift really fast, you can sometimes shift too quickly for the synchromesh to adequately match the shaft speeds and you'll end up grinding gears.  Double clutching's the only way to avoid this.
Needs more Jiggawatts