2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Started by BMWDave, May 08, 2005, 06:04:00 AM

BMWDave

R&T Review

Without the Lancer Evolution, Mitsubishi would be up a creek. Faced with myriad problems, the Japanese company is currently struggling to reestablish itself in the marketplace, partly because of the dismal sales performance of its bread-and-butter products, the Galant and Endeavor. However, Mitsubishi's image has remained relatively clean, thanks mainly to the Lancer Evolution, arguably the most potent Japanese performance car in the marketplace today.

We were able to sneak a peek at the next-generation model, dubbed the Evo IX, this winter at Mitsubishi's test track in Okazaki, Japan. The first thing you notice is the face, which has changed slightly from the current version (the Evo VIII). The grille is now more open, without the body-colored middle section on the VIII.

Also of note are the front bumpers that integrate small oval air vents. One of these vents is functional ? it sends air to the intercooler through a small pipe, while the other is cosmetic. Better cooling of the intake charge usually means more power, and that is indeed the case with this latest Evo.

The turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 remains basically the same, but it now comes with MIVEC (Mitsubishi's variable valve-timing technology). Mitsubishi also switched to a turbocharger with a larger compressor cover, which, according to the company, has reduced turbo lag. The engine now pumps out 286 bhp at 6500 rpm and 289 lb.-ft. of torque at 3500. While not a huge gain over the current car's 276 bhp and 286 lb.-ft., the results of these changes are noticeable as soon as you hit the throttle. The forward surge is immediate and almost violent as all four tires grab hold of the tarmac.

At about 2500 rpm the turbocharger comes to life, providing another quick burst before you have to grab the next gear. The test equipment verified our behind-the-wheel experience. The new IX outran the VIII to 60 mph, recording a run of 4.4 seconds. The IX might have posted a better time had it not been for the launch-control component (first seen in the Evo VIII MR) that limits revs to 5000 rpm at launch.

The handling setup of the Evo IX is basically the same as the VIII's. Our test car was an Evo IX MR, whose suspension consists of MacPherson struts with inverted Bilstein shock absorbers up front and a multilink setup in the rear (the base Evo IX won't get the Bilsteins).

On Mitsubishi's handling course, the Evo IX felt more like a club racer than a 4-door people hauler. It turned in with crispness, the steering exhibiting flawless precision and quickness. Body roll was minimal, and it understeered only through the tight stuff. There were times in left/right transitions when the rear end came a bit loose, but a touch of countersteer solved the problem.

U.S.-bound Evos won't get AYC (Active Yaw Control), which has been on Lancer Evolution models in Japan, but we do get ACD (Active Center Differential) that adjusts the torque split between the front and rear tires, depending on grip and driving style.

The Evolution IX hits dealerships this fall for about the same price as the current model. That means the base Evo IX will be about $29,000 with the top-of-the-line MR listing for around $34,000. An attractive deal considering that this 4-door can keep up with the likes of a Porsche Carrera and Chevrolet Corvette.

Thoughts?  This is just about the only nice car in Mitsubishi's stable.  I think its why they are not going to die so quickly.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

Well, it looks better, goes faster, is more effecient, and hasn't gotten fat. So its still awesome.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteWell, it looks better, goes faster, is more effecient, and hasn't gotten fat. So its still awesome.
I wonder why Mitsubishi cannot make all its cars like the Evo.  The rest are fat and bloated cars! :angry:   They ought to fire their design team.  All their cars look like pigs.

2007 Honda S2000

MX793

Mitsubishi's styling has definately gone down the tubes, IMO.  The previous Galant, Diamante and Eclipse were all better looking than the current versions.  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

QuoteMitsubishi's styling has definately gone down the tubes, IMO.  The previous Galant, Diamante and Eclipse were all better looking than the current versions.
Old Galant:

New galant:

Old Eclipse

New Eclipse

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

The Endeavor is the only Mitsibushi that I actually like.  I think its a very good value in its class.

2007 Honda S2000

MX793

QuoteMitsubishi's styling has definately gone down the tubes, IMO.  The previous Galant, Diamante and Eclipse were all better looking than the current versions.
Old Galant:

New galant:

Old Eclipse

New Eclipse
'06 isn't here yet.  I was comparing the current '05 car to the last generation of the DSM Eclipse.

And considering how hot a car the Eclipse was for Mitsubishi, I think they made a huge mistake by putting it on the Galant platform.  They turned an AWD, turbocharged firebreather into a bit of a dud.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

I'm glad they fixed the grille. I always hated that ugly triangle thing in the grille. It looks much better now.

I don't think Mitsu's new cars are that bad. I think the Galant looks kind of akward and slab sided and the Eclipse is...well...different, but the design is growing on me. I doubt that the Eclipse will really help Mitsu. There's not a lot of money in FWD, V6 coupes and as they get older they are almost forgotten.

Fire It Up

The Ralliart Galant is pretty cool though.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteThe Ralliart Galant is pretty cool though.
You mean this?

Yea, it does look pretty cool!

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

It shouldnt have to be a Ralliart version to look somewhat nice, though.  The base car looks like a pig.

2007 Honda S2000

Lorinser

Does anyone think that the front end of the new Eclipse looks a lot like the Scion Tc? :blink:  

BMWDave

QuoteDoes anyone think that the front end of the new Eclipse looks a lot like the Scion Tc? :blink:
B) I think youre alone there. B)  

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

QuoteDoes anyone think that the front end of the new Eclipse looks a lot like the Scion Tc? :blink:
Does anyone think the new Lexus IS looks like a Scion TC?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

Does anyone think the Ferrari Enzo looks like a Scion tC? :unsure:  :blink:  

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

I was serious.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

I was serious.
It reminds me of the Avalon vs. Whatever threads in C/D that kept popping up.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

--Mark

Why?

I like the EVO, but it IS fat and bloated. The thing ways 3300 lbs. That is absurdly overweight. Heck, the 1996 Taurus SHO weighed just a tad more, and it was a V6 large luxo sport thingy.

Sporty cars need to weigh much less.

BMWDave

QuoteScion:

Lexus:
Now I see the resembelance.  Its only in the headlights though.

2007 Honda S2000

MrH

QuoteScion:

Lexus:
Well, they're both silver.  That's about all I see.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

QuoteI like the EVO, but it IS fat and bloated. The thing ways 3300 lbs. That is absurdly overweight. Heck, the 1996 Taurus SHO weighed just a tad more, and it was a V6 large luxo sport thingy.

Well it's fat and bloated but they have done everything they can in reducing the weight of the thing, like thinner windows and what not.  You have to remember that the thing is AWD, not RWD or FWD which adds weight.

Plus the Evo IX is not a sports car, it's not even a GT.  It's a economy car based Rally car thing..

NomisR

Well the head light and overall profile of the tC and new IS looks similar

BMWDave

QuoteWell the head light and overall profile of the tC and new IS looks similar
Understandable, since they are from the same company. (Toyota)

2007 Honda S2000

Why?

QuoteI like the EVO, but it IS fat and bloated. The thing ways 3300 lbs. That is absurdly overweight. Heck, the 1996 Taurus SHO weighed just a tad more, and it was a V6 large luxo sport thingy.

Well it's fat and bloated but they have done everything they can in reducing the weight of the thing, like thinner windows and what not.  You have to remember that the thing is AWD, not RWD or FWD which adds weight.

Plus the Evo IX is not a sports car, it's not even a GT.  It's a economy car based Rally car thing..
AWD doesn't add that much wieght. They could make the car 2800 lbs or so if they really wanted to.

BMWDave

AWD doesn't add that much wieght. They could make the car 2800 lbs or so if they really wanted to.
It does add at least 2-300 pounds.  Thats a lot of weight!

2007 Honda S2000

Why?

It does add at least 2-300 pounds.  Thats a lot of weight!
the BMW system adds about 176 lbs, Audi's adds 187.

So a little under 200 lbs seems the norm.

And the BMW 325xi and the Audi A4 weigh a little over 3300 lbs, and they are luxury cars, not econo boxes.

There is just too much weight.

giant_mtb

QuoteScion:

Lexus:
Now I see the resembelance.  Its only in the headlights though.
Mmmm I see more than just the headlights.  The whole front fascia is very similar...along with the side profile and talights (in that picture)...