Who said the S6 is boring?

Started by cawimmer430, June 12, 2007, 05:57:58 AM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

The ten metres of front overhang ruins it for me every single time.

Rich

Quote from: omicron on June 12, 2007, 06:12:55 AM

What he said.  Makes me think of the W bodies....
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Payman

Stare at this for a few minutes...

... the Audi don't look so bad now, eh?

:ohyeah:

omicron

Quote from: Payman on June 12, 2007, 06:19:16 AM
Stare at this for a few minutes...

... the Audi don't look so bad now, eh?

:ohyeah:

Yuck.

Champ

I think it looks boring, but it may not actually be boring.  All the Audi's look too similar for my tastes.  S4's don't look vastly different than A4's, RS/S6 don't look vastly different than the A6, etc.

ro51092

I don't think it's boring, but there other cars I'd take over it, like the M5 or the E63.

SJ_GTI

I don't see the big deal on the front overhang. It has about the same front overhang as 75% of cars on the road. In proportion to an RS4, it has less front overhang.

JYODER240

I think it looks great. I like this current design theme more than the A5.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 12, 2007, 08:54:22 AM
I don't see the big deal on the front overhang. It has about the same front overhang as 75% of cars on the road. In proportion to an RS4, it has less front overhang.

I think it's the unbroken, almost semi-circular curve of the front end as opposed to a more strongly-defined corner that accentuates the overhang, and makes it more noticeable from this angle than many other cars with, as you point out, greater front overhang. Other angles, like directly front-on, and this view:

emphasise the vertical over the horizontal, and negate the prevalence of the overhang somewhat.

Lebowski

I think its one of the best looking cars in its class and most of you guys are blind.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Payman

Quote from: Lebowski on June 12, 2007, 09:29:21 AM
I think its one of the best looking cars in its class and most of you guys are blind.

:lol:  +1

SVT_Power

I parked right in front of one at the team sizing night yesterday. There was also a E60 M5 and a C6 Z06 in the parking lot
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

nickdrinkwater

I don't know Wims, who did say that the S6 is boring?  I know it wasn't me!  It's a damn nice ride....I would prob get an S4, but then move into an S6 when I hit about 40!

sandertheshark

One of those blew by my rental Fusion this morning.  It certainly doesn't sound boring.  Doesn't really do much for me visually though.

cawimmer430

I think the design is world class. The overhangs in this case add a unique and classy style to it.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: omicron on June 12, 2007, 09:03:08 AM
I think it's the unbroken, almost semi-circular curve of the front end as opposed to a more strongly-defined corner that accentuates the overhang, and makes it more noticeable from this angle than many other cars with, as you point out, greater front overhang. Other angles, like directly front-on, and this view:

emphasise the vertical over the horizontal, and negate the prevalence of the overhang somewhat.

Okay, here's what I need you to do.  Save the pic to your hard drive, and then in paint or photoshop point to or circle what you're talking about.  Because I don't see it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

omicron

Quote from: Raza on June 13, 2007, 04:22:55 AM
Okay, here's what I need you to do. Save the pic to your hard drive, and then in paint or photoshop point to or circle what you're talking about. Because I don't see it.

In the first view, the camera angle accentuates the length in front of the front wheels, whereas the second view makes it appear the car has a rather short front overhang.

Now, see these two photos:

Both are likely to be as equally forward of the front wheel, but the new car has a more pronounced curvature of the front end. The red line shows the visual extent of the overhang - in the first photo, the eye is deceived by the more prominent semi-circular flow of the side of the car into the front bumper, and around to the other side. Compare that to the front end of the older S6 - the existence of a flatter curve between the side and the front, and a bumper that juts out from the headlights more obviously, discourages the eye from incorporating the front end into its perception of overall front overhang.

The front grille, front bumper, headlights and lower air intakes are all in one arc on the new S6, whereas the older S6 has a more clearly defined bumper that is separate to the headlights, which in turn is separate to the grille, and lower intakes.

However, from full front-on, you don't see that - all you see is the height of the front grille, and the height of the bonnet, instead of the continuous curves. If anything, one perceives there to be a defined corner between side and front - which the front 3/4 shows there not to be.

deesea

Personally, I quite like the direction that Audi is going with their cars. All their cars are like a giant family...I suppose it's similar to BMW and MB, they all have this look thats easily recognizable. As for the S6, I think its got this aggressive, yet luxurious look to it, and I'm quite taken with it. The S5 as well, I think that thing looks simply brilliant.  :tounge:
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

SVT_Power

Quote from: deesea on June 13, 2007, 07:25:49 PM
Personally, I quite like the direction that Audi is going with their cars. All their cars are like a giant family...I suppose it's similar to BMW and MB, they all have this look thats easily recognizable. As for the S6, I think its got this aggressive, yet luxurious look to it, and I'm quite taken with it. The S5 as well, I think that thing looks simply brilliant.  :tounge:

Personally, I quite think you're gay.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: M_power on June 13, 2007, 07:26:54 PM
Personally, I quite think you're gay.

That was uncalled for. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

deesea

ah, I had a feeling this would come from the guy who doesn't have a single STRAIGHT moment in his life....stop trying to convert me edward.....I have my eyes set on the STRAIGHT path.... :P

SVT_Power

SVT_Power

Quote from: deesea on June 13, 2007, 07:29:13 PM
ah, I had a feeling this would come from the guy who doesn't have a single STRAIGHT moment in his life....stop trying to convert me edward.....I have my eyes set on the STRAIGHT path.... :P

You should post in the ARBT and we'll go from there  :devil:

deesea

I see you're carspins official jackass.....and I used to wonder why....haha

saxonyron

Quote from: deesea on June 13, 2007, 07:25:49 PM
Personally, I quite like the direction that Audi is going with their cars. All their cars are like a giant family...I suppose it's similar to BMW and MB, they all have this look thats easily recognizable. As for the S6, I think its got this aggressive, yet luxurious look to it, and I'm quite taken with it. The S5 as well, I think that thing looks simply brilliant. :tounge:

+1

I like the family resemblance, and as the resident Audi Aficionado (not troll :nono: ), I'm also loving the new A5/S5.  I prefer the A4 front end with the contoured lights vs the A6's more rectangular lights.  I think it gives the car a more aggressive look without damaging the "luxury" theme.  Throw those on the S6 and it would be better, but I'll take the S6 as is, thank you. :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

deesea

Quote from: saxonyron on June 13, 2007, 08:04:19 PM
+1

I like the family resemblance, and as the resident Audi Aficionado (not troll :nono: ), I'm also loving the new A5/S5.  I prefer the A4 front end with the contoured lights vs the A6's more rectangular lights.  I think it gives the car a more aggressive look without damaging the "luxury" theme.  Throw those on the S6 and it would be better, but I'll take the S6 as is, thank you. :ohyeah:

Yup, I totally agree with you there. But then the one exception for me is the R8, as much as I like Audi's, I was quite appalled by the look of the R8. From the front, the R8's resemblance to a Alienware PC is actually quite frightening, haha. apart from that, I got no qualms with the R8.