Which car company has the best styled cars?

Started by BMWDave, May 08, 2005, 06:07:07 AM

BMWDave

Of course I can say Ferrari, but this is more of a question about attainable cars.  For me, I would have to say BMW as a whole.  A lot of people may not like them, but I love the uniqueness and edginess that they have.  

I also absolutely love the new CLS.  It looks simply brilliant.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Out of the exotic realm, I'll also go with BMW. The Bangle-done exteriors are for the most part well-done, it's the interiors that I can't stand.

SJ_GTI

No surprise I would also choose BMW. The fact that so many people get riled up over them is, in part, why I like them. If nothing else BMW is staying away from the "generic" look of some of its competition.

Audi also seems to be going this route. I think the new front-end treatment they are using looks great on every car so far.

As for MB...all of their cars look good, but other than the CLS they don't have anything extraordinary.

giant_mtb

I'd probably say BMW as well.  The only reason most people get riled up over a Benz is because, simply, it is a Benz...the cars from them don't really do anything for me...they're nice but they're not extraordinarily catchy.

MX793

I'm actually rather fond of Cadillac's current design theme.  Infiniti is right up there as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

Compare this:

to this:

Both nice cars, but the BMW does more in the excitement aspect.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

I cant beleive people like Bangled cars...
I would go with Mercedes. None of their cars so far are ugly, but that minivan thing is horrible.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TurboDan

QuoteOut of the exotic realm, I'll also go with BMW. The Bangle-done exteriors are for the most part well-done, it's the interiors that I can't stand.
Couldn't agree more.  I absolutely love BMW's styling, even the Bangle models.  I think the current 5er is one of the most beautiful cars BMW has ever put out.  That said, I do not like the interiors at all, for the most part.  They definitely use high quality materials, but the cars look "bare" without a true component panel on the dash, and I've hated iDrive since day one.

I'd still consider buying one, because I know what awesome cars they are - but it'd take some getting used to.

GMPenguin

QuoteI cant beleive people like Bangled cars...
Same here, the Z4 and 5-series I love (except interiors).  I don't like the others but the 3-series is okay.  I'd have to go with Audi or Cadillac, althought Cadillac's are getting a little too similar and familiar.

ifcar

QuoteOut of the exotic realm, I'll also go with BMW. The Bangle-done exteriors are for the most part well-done, it's the interiors that I can't stand.
Couldn't agree more.  I absolutely love BMW's styling, even the Bangle models.  I think the current 5er is one of the most beautiful cars BMW has ever put out.  That said, I do not like the interiors at all, for the most part.  They definitely use high quality materials, but the cars look "bare" without a true component panel on the dash, and I've hated iDrive since day one.

I'd still consider buying one, because I know what awesome cars they are - but it'd take some getting used to.
I agree about the interiors. Have you seen the pic of the new 3-Series without iDrive, it actually looks pretty nice.

I probably wouldn't buy one myself if I were shopping for a luxury vehicle, though more because of the high price than because of the interior styling and iDrive.  

TurboDan

Yeah, you really do pay a premium with BMW.  I could definitely find better deals on 9-3s and A4s.  The 3er might still be top of its class, but the competition is getting stronger.

ifcar

QuoteYeah, you really do pay a premium with BMW.  I could definitely find better deals on 9-3s and A4s.  The 3er might still be top of its class, but the competition is getting stronger.
Not to mention muscle-for-the-dollar bargains such as the G35 and 300C.

850CSi

Probably Audi or Mercedes-Benz:

The historical #1 was BMW in the late '90s and early '00s, when they literally had the best-looking model line-up in the history of the Automobile:

TBR

Well, I am going to have to go with Infiniti on this one. They have a well rounded, well priced line-up of attractive vehicles.

BMWDave

Faris, why dont you like current BMW styling?  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteFaris, why dont you like current BMW styling?
I don't know why he doesn't like them as much as the newers ones, but I prefer the older ones because they look aggressive, conservative, and elegant all at once while most of the newer ones just look weird.

BMWDave

I don't know why he likes them, but I like them because they look aggressive, conservative, and elegant all at once, no brand has been able to do that since then (though Audi is getting pretty darn close).
I asked him why he dislikes current BMW's, not likes them.  I love the current ones, more so than any BMWs before them.  I wanted to know why Faris doesnt like the current ones.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I don't know why he likes them, but I like them because they look aggressive, conservative, and elegant all at once, no brand has been able to do that since then (though Audi is getting pretty darn close).
I asked him why he dislikes current BMW's, not likes them.  I love the current ones, more so than any BMWs before them.  I wanted to know why Faris doesnt like the current ones.
I had a soft spot for the look of the previous 7-Series, but by now all older BMWs but the 3-Series have started to simply look bland. It remains to be seen how well the current ones will age, however, and how they will be updated.  

TBR

Yeah, I realized that after I made the post and reread it, so I edited the original post to actually make the point I was trying to make.

BMWDave

Yeah, I realized that after I made the post and reread it, so I edited the original post to actually make the point I was trying to make.
I see.  

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

Park an E65 7-Series next to an E38... I really don't think you're going to be able to tell me the newer one is better looking, because it's bloated.

Same goes for the E60 5-Series, except it's the front that is just... hideous. The rear is awesome, the side is excellent, but the front ruins the entire design. The M5 looks a lot better, but it still can't compare overall to the E39.

Perhaps the only exception is the E90, which looks better than the E46, but the E36 looked better than them both.

Pretty much the same reason as TBR. The old ones were more understated and more elegant. I grew up with the BMWs of the '90s. My mom drove an E32 7-Series when I was a kid. Matter of fact, my A4 is the first non-BMW luxury car we've ever owned (Except if you count the Land Rover). My uncle owned a luxury car dealership. I grew up with the BMW's and Benzes of the '90s.

Perhaps it's also because, as of recent, the competition has been catching up, and BMW is no longer as dominant as it once was. There was a time when people would think you were out of your mind if you thought anything was better than the 540i in its class, and not because of the brand: It was really THAT much superior to every other car in its class until the A6 was given a face lift late in the E39s life and was nearly as good.

Don't get me wrong, though, I still like the new ones (and still prefer the new BMWs over their counterparts due mainly to brand bias). I just like the old ones a lot more.

The 7's facelift looks good. I'm expecting the 5 will get a face lift and they'll do something about that front. So, it's looking good again.

Colonel Cadillac

Cadillac-Most exciting
Mercedes-Benz-Everything but the G and ML are beautifully sculpted
Jaguar- Take a look at the XK and the XJ, you will be in awe
Audi- They look pretty agressive yet subtle in many ways, and they have the best interiors

850CSi

I forgot to mention that I'm really liking Lexus's new designs. The new GS and IS are my favorite Lexuses since the old LS.

TBR

Park an E65 7-Series next to an E38... I really don't think you're going to be able to tell me the newer one is better looking, because it's bloated.

Same goes for the E60 5-Series, except it's the front that is just... hideous. The rear is awesome, the side is excellent, but the front ruins the entire design. The M5 looks a lot better, but it still can't compare overall to the E39.

Perhaps the only exception is the E90, which looks better than the E46, but the E36 looked better than them both.

Those are pretty much exactly the same as my thoughts on BMW's styling.

Lorinser

I think Mercedes has the best designs, but Jaguar is a very close second.

TBR

QuoteI think Mercedes has the best designs, but Jaguar is a very close second.
Jaguars aren't bad either, but the X-type just doesn't look quite right and I don't care for the XK convertible (the coupe is another story (we need a drool smilie!)).

Tom

Another one here for BMW with Audi in close contention.  The Germans really do it right in terms of styling.

MrH

I never really understood why so many people like the exterior's of BMW's.  The new 3-series looks decent to me, but I don't find the older ones any better looking.  I really love the styling of the Z3, and the M-Coupe, but besides that, I am not a big fan of their styling.

Mercedes has a few cars that look awesome (CLS especially), but the entire family of cars looks a little too similar to each other in my mind.

I love the look of the Jaguar S-type.  One of the most beautiful cars on the road in my opinion.

The new Audi's take the cake in my book though.  Very reserved styling, but great looking none the less.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BMWDave

QuoteI never really understood why so many people like the exterior's of BMW's.  The new 3-series looks decent to me, but I don't find the older ones any better looking.  I really love the styling of the Z3, and the M-Coupe, but besides that, I am not a big fan of their styling.

Mercedes has a few cars that look awesome (CLS especially), but the entire family of cars looks a little too similar to each other in my mind.

I love the look of the Jaguar S-type.  One of the most beautiful cars on the road in my opinion.

The new Audi's take the cake in my book though.  Very reserved styling, but great looking none the less.
Do you like the new grille scheme?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI never really understood why so many people like the exterior's of BMW's.  The new 3-series looks decent to me, but I don't find the older ones any better looking.  I really love the styling of the Z3, and the M-Coupe, but besides that, I am not a big fan of their styling.

The Audi A6 and A8 have an attractive look, but the A4 doesn't look right with the 06's modified headlights.