sister needs new car: update with pics =)

Started by Vinsanity, June 12, 2007, 03:45:53 PM

Vinsanity

well the distributor in my sister's 94 Civic burnt out again for the second time in 2 months, and it's been a good car otherwise, but my parents want to help her get something newer since she's going off to transfer to a university this fall. they're basically looking for reliability, low miles, and automatic trans for under $13,000. here's what we've seen so far:

2006 Mazda 3: I knew this would be your guys' favorite, and my sis likes the car too.
2005 Mazda 6: sis also likes this one, but isn't sure if she wants a bigger car
2004 Toyota Solara: likes the interior
2005 Hyundai Tiburon: likes the exterior
2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse: also likes the exterior, but not as much as the Tib
2007 Toyota Corolla: can be had new for $13.5k
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer: is cheap :praise: (can be had for $10k)
2006 Nissan Sentra: is also cheap, but my brother says it's better than the Lancer :huh:
2007 Nissan Versa: priced out of budget brand new with basic options, but there are a few used ones around
2007 Toyota Yaris: not much cheaper than the Corolla

I know it's a pretty long list, but any other suggestions?

SVT_Power

^what's with the SX4? It didn't seem overly great when im in my friend's
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

NomisR

Do you hate your sister?  If you do, have her get a Corolla or Solara.. that'll teach her!

Otherwise, 3!

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2007, 03:45:53 PM
well the distributor in my sister's 94 Civic burnt out again for the second time in 2 months, and it's been a good car otherwise, but my parents want to help her get something newer since she's going off to transfer to a university this fall. they're basically looking for reliability, low miles, and automatic trans for under $13,000. here's what we've seen so far:

2006 Mazda 3: I knew this would be your guys' favorite, and my sis likes the car too.
2005 Mazda 6: sis also likes this one, but isn't sure if she wants a bigger car
2004 Toyota Solara: likes the interior
2005 Hyundai Tiburon: likes the exterior
2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse: also likes the exterior, but not as much as the Tib
2007 Toyota Corolla: can be had new for $13.5k
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer: is cheap :praise: (can be had for $10k)
2006 Nissan Sentra: is also cheap, but my brother says it's better than the Lancer :huh:
2007 Nissan Versa: priced out of budget brand new with basic options, but there are a few used ones around
2007 Toyota Yaris: not much cheaper than the Corolla

I know it's a pretty long list, but any other suggestions?

SVT_Power

Quote from: NomisR on June 12, 2007, 03:50:20 PM
Do you hate your sister?  If you do, have her get a Corolla or Solara.. that'll teach her!

Otherwise, 3!

:lol: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Quote from: M_power on June 12, 2007, 03:49:44 PM
^what's with the SX4? It didn't seem overly great when im in my friend's

I haven't test-driven one yet, but so far having only poked around a couple of them at the auto show, I've become obsessed. I think they're so flippin' cool. :lol:

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: NomisR on June 12, 2007, 03:50:20 PM
Do you hate your sister?? If you do, have her get a Corolla or Solara.. that'll teach her!

Otherwise, 3!

LOL if it were my choice, we'd have nothing to do with the Corolla. but my dad, in spite of having driven one himself, thinks that it would be the perfect car for her. I'm doing my best to look out for her, but you know, father knows best :mask:

I'll show her the SX4 just for shits and grins (she thinks the Yaris is cute, so I guess she doesn't mind goofy looking cars), but they're over $15k new, and a quick autotrader search turned up nothing on the used car market.

she's leaning toward one of the Mazdas for now, anyways

93JC

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2007, 04:05:33 PM
I'll show her the SX4 just for shits and grins (she thinks the Yaris is cute, so I guess she doesn't mind goofy looking cars), but they're over $15k new, and a quick autotrader search turned up nothing on the used car market.

Goofy? 

:nono:

I have no idea what SX4 pricing is like down there. :lol: It's around $18,000 here, including destination and taxes.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on June 12, 2007, 04:11:05 PM
Goofy? 

:nono:

I have no idea what SX4 pricing is like down there. :lol: It's around $18,000 here, including destination and taxes.

It's not much less here.

I'd look at budget economy cars, specifically the Elantra, Focus, and Versa. The Versa is the most pleasant of the three, but the most expensive (of the three, still a good buy for what it is) and it may have first-year reliability troubles (Nissan hasn't had much luck with that recently.) The Elantra is less expensive, especially used, and more plentiful. The 06s aren't bad either, and they're very inexpensive. Same with any Focus, you can get a new one decently equipped for at or near your price point.

The Corolla is also a decent choice, and it's relatively inexpensive as it nears the end of its product cycle. I'd drive the other three I mentioned first, though.

The 3, Yaris, and the non-economy cars on your list aren't very good buys, and are only worth it if she really loves them. Make sure she drives the cheaper ones, too. The Lancer is inexpensive, but you can do better for no more money. There's little reason to get the Sentra over the Versa.

Vinsanity

I knew you were going to suggest the Focus :praise:

I thought of it, though. And although I think it would be a good choice to look at, I'm not the right person to suggest the Focus to her, since I was the owner of the infamous Mercury Cougar that turned out to be a lemon :mask:

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2007, 04:27:41 PM
I knew you were going to suggest the Focus :praise:

I thought of it, though. And although I think it would be a good choice to look at, I'm not the right person to suggest the Focus to her, since I was the owner of the infamous Mercury Cougar that turned out to be a lemon :mask:

Does she know that Ford and Mercury are the same? If not, you're fine.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2007, 04:31:12 PM

If she doesn't know, she should be told. It's a terrible car, IMO.

ifcar

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2007, 04:31:12 PM

she does. maybe I can find a cheap enough Focus for her to consider, though

as for the Sentra vs. Versa, I did a new-vs-new carsdirect comparison between the two, and similarly equipped is only about a $600 difference. although that's a considerable price gap in this field, does the Sentra not give you $600 more "car"? (i.e. CV transmission, 14 hp, more interior room, etc.)

ro51092

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2007, 04:54:18 PM
she does. maybe I can find a cheap enough Focus for her to consider, though

as for the Sentra vs. Versa, I did a new-vs-new carsdirect comparison between the two, and similarly equipped is only about a $600 difference. although that's a considerable price gap in this field, does the Sentra not give you $600 more "car"? (i.e. CV transmission, 14 hp, more interior room, etc.)

Versa also has a CVT on the 1.8SL. I'd think that at that little price difference, it also has a feature advantage, unless they're slashing Sentra prices in just your area.

And I'd say that in many ways the Versa is better than the Sentra regardless of price. Interior quality, seat shape, fuel-efficiency, and handling being a few key areas.

Raza

What about an older Buick if she wants something large?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9609.msg477111#msg477111 date=1181693203
What about an older Buick if she wants something large?

LOL I emailed her a link to a listing for a 2006 Sebring convertible and she refused to believe that I was serious :mask:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2007, 06:00:46 PM
Versa also has a CVT on the 1.8SL. I'd think that at that little price difference, it also has a feature advantage, unless they're slashing Sentra prices in just your area.

And I'd say that in many ways the Versa is better than the Sentra regardless of price. Interior quality, seat shape, fuel-efficiency, and handling being a few key areas.

I dunno, the only time I experienced those two cars first-hand was at the L.A. auto show, where they had a fully-loaded Versa that stickered for $18k and a top of the line Sentra that stickered for $19k. the Sentra seemed like it was worth every penny to me :huh:

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9609.msg477124#msg477124 date=1181693891
Grand Prix!

Or how about this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221080648&dealer_id=8311522&car_year=1995&model=JAGXJR&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=JAG&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=18966&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=1005

That is, if you want Submariner hanging around all the time.

haha! out of the 4 guidelines I posted, that car meets exactly half of them (although I guess 72k miles is really low for a 95)

and no offense, but I don't think I want any carspin guys hanging around my sister all the time. I'm not Wimmer :nono:

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2007, 06:23:03 PM
haha! out of the 4 guidelines I posted, that car meets exactly one (although I guess 72k miles is really low for a 95)

and no offense, but I don't think I want any carspin guys hanging around my sister all the time. I'm not Wimmer :nono:

Low miles, automatic, under 13 grand, and it's as reliable as you want it to be. 

Sound perfect for her.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Kia Rio?  You can probably buy 2 used ones for the price of one!   :rockon:

ro51092

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: ro51092 on June 12, 2007, 06:25:37 PM
Give her your Q45?

she wants more than 17 mpg and less than 180k miles. otherwise, I would.

matter of fact, I'm probably going to sell it to my dad's mechanic pretty soon

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9609.msg477129#msg477129 date=1181694253
Low miles, automatic, under 13 grand, and it's as reliable as you want it to be.?

Sound perfect for her.

somehow, the fact escaped me that the Jag is an automatic. so I guess 2 out of 4 ain't bad.

but still, my feet are more reliable than a 12-year-old British car. and so is the bus.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2007, 06:33:49 PM
somehow, the fact escaped me that the Jag is an automatic. so I guess 2 out of 4 ain't bad.

but still, my feet are more reliable than a 12-year-old British car. and so is the bus.

3 out of 4.

And beautiful!

Don't get Chris in here yelling at you about how reliable old Jags are.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i