What's this? Lexus IS250 outhandles BMW 335i!? WTF!?

Started by cawimmer430, June 16, 2007, 06:14:16 AM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Going through a slalom faster is not the same as handling better.

sportyaccordy

I could slap z-rated 18s on my car... it would put up better numbers... but not necessarily handle better

FordSVT

Mustang's routinely post 0.86-0.89 Gs on a 300 ft skidpad, but there are a host of cars that post lower or equal grip figures that I'd say handle much better.

The original Dodge Neon posted faster slalom numbers than the Corvette at the time, but that didn't mean it was a better handling car, it just meant it was really light and narrow and could slide through the cones quickly.

IMO, handling is about feedback and control to a great degree. A car might be able to get around a track quickly on paper, but if the steering is numb and it's tricky to drive and you've got to constantly strain to get any feedback from the tires through the wheel, I wouldn't say it's a "good handling car". This is akin to the reason many magazines consider the 911 a better "handling" car than the Corvette even though the Vette can post numbers as fast or faster than a 911.

ro51092

I doubt it can do anything better than the 335i.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

Quote from: ro51092 on June 16, 2007, 08:16:51 AM
I doubt it can do anything better than the 335i.

It's quieter and has some nicer interior materials. And of course, the IS250 is much less expensive. But that's about it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 08:25:32 AM
It's quieter and has some nicer interior materials. And of course, the IS250 is much less expensive. But that's about it.

*Cough* *Cough* TOYOTA *COUGH* *COUGH*

:devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2007, 10:07:13 AM
*Cough* *Cough* TOYOTA *COUGH* *COUGH*

:devil:

The IS is just an especially bad Toyota, IMO. Most are boring, but good cars for people who don't care about driving enjoyment, yet the IS (and GS) try to be interesting and screw up the basics without actually getting significantly more enjoyable.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 10:09:09 AM
The IS is just an especially bad Toyota, IMO. Most are boring, but good cars for people who don't care about driving enjoyment, yet the IS (and GS) try to be interesting and screw up the basics without actually getting significantly more enjoyable.

IFCAR, I have never read a review about the Lexus IS and GS that complained about the poor leg space for the driver and co-passenger. When I checked out the IS and GS at a Lexus show, my legs were cramped upfront because the transmission tunnel is unusually wide on both cars. Why doesn't Consumer Reports etc. complain about this?  :rolleyes:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2007, 10:18:35 AM
IFCAR, I have never read a review about the Lexus IS and GS that complained about the poor leg space for the driver and co-passenger. When I checked out the IS and GS at a Lexus show, my legs were cramped upfront because the transmission tunnel is unusually wide on both cars. Why doesn't Consumer Reports etc. complain about this?  :rolleyes:

From CR:

IS:
"Most drivers found a comfortable position behind the tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, but head room was tight in the snug cockpit. Tall drivers had tight leg room in the narrow footwell."

GS:
"However, the cramped cabin, which includes a bump in the driver's footwell in the AWD model, makes the driving position uncomfortable. There's limited head room, even for medium-sized drivers."

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 10:29:02 AM
From CR:

IS:
"Most drivers found a comfortable position behind the tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, but head room was tight in the snug cockpit. Tall drivers had tight leg room in the narrow footwell."

GS:
"However, the cramped cabin, which includes a bump in the driver's footwell in the AWD model, makes the driving position uncomfortable. There's limited head room, even for medium-sized drivers."

If I was CR, this is what I would do:

NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

:evildude:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2007, 10:32:00 AM

If I was CR, this is what I would do:

NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

:evildude:

As a bad luxury car is still better (price-independent, as CR's ratings are) than most good cheaper cars, both Lexuses qualify for the CR recommendation label. The GS is ranked at the bottom of its class though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 10:37:06 AM
The GS is ranked at the bottom of its class though.

Excellent. Life couldn't be better.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AKL

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------