Project dune buggy

Started by Zcarnut, June 16, 2007, 09:59:23 AM

Zcarnut

Some of you may already know im putting this thing together.

I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Zcarnut

It started off like this...

JWC

Dang that looks good.  I almost wish I had bought a dune buggy instead of the 'vert.  Would have been great  to cruise around in.

I was looking at the photos posted in the other thread at work and everyone that walked by commented on how good this project looks. 

Good job.

Zcarnut

Thanks.Im anxious to get it done.Im about a month behind my original completion date (late May).I think I have a good shot of finishing (or near enough to drive) before the 4th of July.Little stuff like the rear seat might not make the cut,but thats cosmetic.
So long as I dont hit anymore snags I should be OK.Anything that requires a fabrication slows it all down.
Got lucky last night though.Found a "universal under dash radio mounting kit" at a local stereo shop.
Mounted it below my speedo dead center and it looks great.I was already putting in the guages/switches so I wanted to get all that knocked out at once.
That saved me 3 hours of scrounging together a enclousure.

At least you can drive your vert year round! But I love the buggies.

giant_mtb

Sweet!  Those buggies are awesome!

Is it VW powered? 

Secret Chimp

Doesn't look like it's anything-powered right now.
Slide a bike crank on that transmission shaft and it could be people-powered :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Ah, I guess I should re-phrase my question, then...

Will it be VW powered?  :thumbsup:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2007, 12:54:31 PM
Ah, I guess I should re-phrase my question, then...

Will it be VW powered?? :thumbsup:

That's a VW transaxles under there, so maybe.

But, you can hook just about anything up to one of those. Corvair, Pinto, and subaru engines are popular as well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 18, 2007, 04:42:31 PM
That's a VW transaxles under there, so maybe.

But, you can hook just about anything up to one of those. Corvair, Pinto, and subaru engines are popular as well.

I have one (that doesn't quite work, but I digress) that I'd be willing to sell for next to nothing (relatively speaking).
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Zcarnut

The engine is on the floor under a green tarp just to the right of that fridge.
Yes its VW powered (1600 Dual Port,Weber Progressive carb,Petronix ignition,and headers).
I'd love to run somthing else more modern,but that poses some problems:

1) Have to put a radiator in it.That means somthing ugly hanging off the side of the engine or kiss the backseat area goodbye.Havent seen too many fiberglass buggies with a good looking liquid cooled engine (AND a back seat still)

2) A VW engine looks pretty damn cool (IMO) dressed out and theres plenty of toys out there to do it economically.

3) A VW engine is simple and easy to fix.15 minutes and its hanging off the back...or dropped if you need to do somthing semi major.Parts are reasonable and you can get some ponies out of them relatively cheap.

4) Could go Corvair..But I dont have one!

60-65HP will motivate it well (1300lbs).Eventually I want somthing with around 90HP.

Zcarnut

Well im hoping July 3rd is my lucky day.Engine in and first drive tommorow.

Soup DeVille

Godspeed and fahrvergnugen!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raghavan

Good luck!
What trans is in it?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raghavan on July 03, 2007, 12:21:56 AM
Good luck!
What trans is in it?

It's your standard VW 4-speed I believe. I don't think that's a Bus tranny, is it Z?

Raza

Oh that's pretty.  Can I have it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

etypeJohn

Nice Job.? Needs some Crager SS mags though.?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: etypeJohn on July 03, 2007, 11:05:31 AM
Nice Job.  Needs some Crager SS mags though. 

Those things belong on old Dodge Ram shaggin' wagons and nothing else :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

etypeJohn

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 03, 2007, 12:21:24 PM
Those things belong on old Dodge Ram shaggin' wagons and nothing else :P

Wrong.   They are from the appropriate period for the vehicle. 

Zcarnut

Johns right.My father in law has those same wheels on his Buggy and they look great.I prefer not to run wheel adaptors,but those are on my short list. I actually ran Cragers on my old Manx buggy.
These wheels are temporary untill I find some that tickle my fancy. Dont look bad though with orange IMO though...And I got this set of new wheels with the body as a "bonus".
The trans is a 71'-79' "late model" IRS from a standard/Super Beetle.
Havent checked the stampings on it to ID the exact year.

Engines in now BTW.Gotta bleed the brakes,run the throttle cable,and make a trip for gas...
Might have her running later tonight!

Zcarnut

Heres a pic of one with Cragers....

Zcarnut

Well..Ive had it running for a little over a week now.Other than a few "bugs" its been doing fine.

etypeJohn

Quote from: Zcarnut on July 27, 2007, 09:40:17 AM
Well..Ive had it running for a little over a week now.Other than a few "bugs" its been doing fine.
[

Nice, very nice.  Needs Cragers though.  How do you think it would look with the wheels on it now painted body color?  Or black?  Or maybe even chromed.

Zcarnut

I almost painted the rims orange too when we did the body/engine.But thought it may have been too much.
The white shocks and raised letter tires help balance it out IMO .Have to flip the front tires around..They match the rears and I bet it would look ALOT better.
Dont care for black rims on anything.They make a car look like the hubcaps are missing or somthing!
Chrome or polished aluminum is a definate. Got a friend that wants these wheels and is looking to do a swap.
Im not sold on the offset these rear rims have anyway.I want somthing tucked in more.
I see Cragers in my future unless he offers me somthing that I find equally appealing.

Car sure does move out to be a basically stock 1600! Catches second easily and hits 70 no sweat.

etypeJohn

Quote from: Zcarnut on July 27, 2007, 10:10:47 AM
I almost painted the rims orange too when we did the body/engine.But thought it may have been too much.
The white shocks and raised letter tires help balance it out IMO .Have to flip the front tires around..They match the rears and I bet it would look ALOT better.
Dont care for black rims on anything.They make a car look like the hubcaps are missing or somthing!
Chrome or polished aluminum is a definate. Got a friend that wants these wheels and is looking to do a swap.
Im not sold on the offset these rear rims have anyway.I want somthing tucked in more.
I see Cragers in my future unless he offers me somthing that I find equally appealing.

Car sure does move out to be a basically stock 1600! Catches second easily and hits 70 no sweat.

I'll bet it does jump off the line.  What's the weight?  About 1300# '

These are also period and might look good. 

and last but not least (just kidding)   :lol:.

Eye of the Tiger

OMG NOT THE TEDDY BEAR WHEELZ, I THOUGHT THOSE HAD FINALLYL FADED FROM EXISTeNTCE  :cry:
better than daisies at least
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Zcarnut

Yeah thats a good looking wheel too.Very similar to the style my friends 07' Mustang GT has (which is a retro design itself)
I prefer the Classic Cragers though!

Now those Bear wheels are "HOT"! I might have to get those! (I thought they were discontinued too)

What surprised me about the engine John is its basically the same setup my street legal sandrail had engine/tranny/ratios.About the same weight too but I was running 31 10 50's in the rear which were lighter but taller (by about 3 inches)
Guess that made the gearing quite a bit taller.

SVT_Power

I saw one of those in traffic the other day
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Zcarnut

I saw a set of those about 3 years ago on a New Beetle.

SVT_Power

i didn't mean the wheels. I meant the dune buggy thing. Looks just like yours except bright yellow
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

etypeJohn

Quote from: Zcarnut on July 27, 2007, 01:57:08 PM
Yeah thats a good looking wheel too.Very similar to the style my friends 07' Mustang GT has (which is a retro design itself)
I prefer the Classic Cragers though!

Now those Bear wheels are "HOT"! I might have to get those! (I thought they were discontinued too)

What surprised me about the engine John is its basically the same setup my street legal sandrail had engine/tranny/ratios.About the same weight too but I was running 31 10 50's in the rear which were lighter but taller (by about 3 inches)
Guess that made the gearing quite a bit taller.

I thnk the bear wheels were discontinued some years ago.  That pic was from a sale of four on ebay.