Edmunds Inside Line - 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series vs. 2007 BMW M6

Started by cawimmer430, June 18, 2007, 02:04:28 AM

cawimmer430

If the 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series and 2007 BMW M6 could talk trash, things would get ugly in a hurry.

The big-bore Benz would snort something about its 465 pound-feet of grunt, the kind of power that would leave the Bimmer's flame-surfaced sheet metal in a smoldering pile on the road. The high-strung M6 would make a remark about the Benz's boy-racer fender flares, silly bodywork vents and decidedly uncivilized exhaust note.

You can imagine the slugfest that would follow, plenty of 500 horsepower bellowing through quad exhaust pipes and then R-compound rubber splattered across elegant grilles. Think of it: a total hammer-and-tongs cage match, testing these high-performance icons to their breaking point.

And that's precisely how we approached this comparison of the 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series and the 2007 BMW M6.

Price Wars

Sorry to end the suspense, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Benz wins this contest given its $136,000 price tag ? nearly a $27,000 premium over the M6. Or should it?

The BMW M6 coupe and the M5 sedan have proven themselves worthy to us in the past. And this M6 came fully equipped, complete with $3,500 worth of Merino leather upholstery, BMW's $1,000 Comfort Access System, the $1,000 Head-Up Display and $1,095 HD and satellite radio. The price tag for this car comes to $109,190, as tested.

For its part, the Benz has no options. But like the M6, it comes standard with a navigation system, automatic climate control and plenty of leather upholstery. So this AMG-built hot rod is not exactly a stripped-down track-only version of the CLK. Quite the opposite, in fact. There's plenty of opulence to go with its bad attitude.

Cont....

The Easy Choice

Bottom line: The Benz wins this test, but not just because it's quicker and handles better. Nope. When you're talking about laying down this much cash, there's more to it than performance. For this kind of green we want something special. We want attitude to go with the speed, sound to go with the looks and exclusivity to justify the cost of entry.

The CLK63 AMG does it all. And it does it in a way the haughty, if capable, M6 cannot, with fat fender flares, bad attitude and plenty of brawn to back up its trash talk.

Full Article and Video:

Comparison Test: 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series vs. 2007 BMW M6

M
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CJ

Mmmm....I'll take the M6.  I'm not really a fan of the CLK63 Black Series.  I think the M6 is just one of those cars.

Raza

CLK Black for me.  Damn, that's a great car.  "Faster and handles better"?  BMW fanboys are not going to like that!

"No!  My 10,000 2 door handles better than every other car!  It eats Enzos for lunch and two Enzos for dinner!"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

CLK 63AMG Black edition is uberamazing... i started drooling at the autoshow looking at it and gently stroking its lucious carbon fiber in my mind
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

nickdrinkwater

Looks like the same Black that they drove in Evo.

I would actually take the 6 here.  It's such a difficult decision, but I just think the normal CLK AMG is better looking than this new version.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Champ

omicron

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 18, 2007, 09:09:34 AM
I think they both look fantastic.

Yes, but you also think the Veyron, M5, Continental GT, and IS250 look good.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 18, 2007, 09:12:23 AM

So? They look good; that doesn't necessarily make them good cars. I do like the Veyron as a technological marvel, and the M5 as a muscular sports sedan (though I'd take an S6 over it in a heartbeat), but the Continental GT and the Lexus IS are nice to look at, and that's all.

ro51092

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 18, 2007, 09:12:23 AM

I think all except the M5 look like shit.

TheIntrepid

SJ_GTI

Isn't the CLK more of a 3-series competitor? Seems like an odd comparison. Like taking an M3 CSL against a CL63 and then eclaring the M3 the winner because it handles better.

Would have made more sense to compare the CLK63 to the M3, even though it does have more power.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 09:46:35 AM
Isn't the CLK more of a 3-series competitor? Seems like an odd comparison. Like taking an M3 CSL against a CL63 and then eclaring the M3 the winner because it handles better.

Would have made more sense to compare the CLK63 to the M3, even though it does have more power.

The CLK, despite being based on the C class, is priced more closely to the 6 series.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg481596#msg481596 date=1182182199
The CLK, despite being based on the C class, is priced more closely to the 6 series.

As far as I can tell, this is not true, though the CLK is more expensive than the 3-series coupe.

The CLK350 is about 6k more expensive than the 335i coupe, but the CLK550 is about 18k cheaper than a 650i coupe. Its an in-between type car, but mechanically and economically it still seems closer to the 3er than the 6er (to me).

RomanChariot

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 09:46:35 AM

That sounds like a typical C&D comparison.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 10:09:05 AM
As far as I can tell, this is not true, though the CLK is more expensive than the 3-series coupe.

The CLK350 is about 6k more expensive than the 335i coupe, but the CLK550 is about 18k cheaper than a 650i coupe. Its an in-between type car, but mechanically and economically it still seems closer to the 3er than the 6er (to me).

18K MSRP?  Wow, 6ers are overpriced!

In any case, the CLK, as you said, is one of those in-between cars.  It's not quite a 3er competitor, and it's not quite a 6er competitor.  As it stands, I've seen it compared to both. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

I doubt I'd ever buy either, but between the two I'd take the CLK hands down.

The M6 is just flat out ugly, as that first picture very clearly illustrates.

Edit: Holy shit, $136k!  Make mine a 997TT, please.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2007, 10:38:17 AM
I doubt I'd ever buy either, but between the two I'd take the CLK hands down.

The M6 is just flat out ugly, as that first picture very clearly illustrates.

You obviously don't know anything, since you drive a cheap plastic American car.  The M6 is awesome.  The face is so sleek and droopy, and the 74" rims look awesome and are there only for performance purposes.  My only problem is that it needs to weigh more, for better traction, because that V10 is a monster, as every time you press the M button, you get an extra 100bhp.  And if you set the SMG to the 15 fastest setting and the lights for a 37 second delay, the car will beat Zondas around a track.  Any track.  I've seen it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on June 18, 2007, 10:42:38 AM
You obviously don't know anything, since you drive a cheap plastic American car.  The M6 is awesome.  The face is so sleek and droopy, and the 74" rims look awesome and are there only for performance purposes.  My only problem is that it needs to weigh more, for better traction, because that V10 is a monster, as every time you press the M button, you get an extra 100bhp.  And if you set the SMG to the 15 fastest setting and the lights for a 37 second delay, the car will beat Zondas around a track.  Any track.  I've seen it. 

I don't see if I can understand this post.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg481640#msg481640 date=1182184958
Blah blah blah You obviously don't know anything, since you drive a cheap plastic American car.? Blah blah blah

x2.  :lol:

MexicoCityM3

The Benz is 26,000 more than the M6. It should win this comparo.

I?d like to see what BMW could do bringing us a 26K more expensive M6 CSL. Then we could talk.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 18, 2007, 02:04:28 AM

The big-bore Benz would snort something about its 465 pound-feet of grunt, the kind of power...

Ugh.

Definitely the CLK63 in my garage.

Sir_CARzy

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lol:

TBR

Yet no one cares when a 10k more expensive 335i is compared to a G35, what an odd twist of events...

Or, when a 530i is compared to a comparably priced (actually cheaper, IIRC) M45 everyone gets bent out of shape saying that V8 to V8 is the only fair way.

giant_mtb

TheIntrepid

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on June 18, 2007, 11:21:23 AM
Yet no one cares when a 10k more expensive 335i is compared to a G35, what an odd twist of events...

Or, when a 530i is compared to a comparably priced (actually cheaper, IIRC) M45 everyone gets bent out of shape saying that V8 to V8 is the only fair way.

I personally couldn't care less about the price, I just put that info to refute the idea that the CLK class was a 6-series competitor. CLK AMG's have always been compared to M3's as far as I know. In fact, the only reason I can think that they used the M6 is because it happened to be the most expensive BMW they could find.

PS. The 530i pwns the soulless M45.  :lol:

TBR

Only because that was the only four seater coupe BMW had for a long time, I've seen the CLK55 compared to the regular 6-series before.