Edmunds Inside Line - 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series vs. 2007 BMW M6

Started by cawimmer430, June 18, 2007, 02:04:28 AM

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 19, 2007, 07:18:15 PM
The M6 gets uglier each and every time I open this thread.? It might be the ugliest $100k+ car on the market today.

Yes, it is. 

Although, I must say, I saw a 650 the other day and in profile, it looked quite good.  Made me think about one again.  But then again, for me to ever buy one, I'd have to live in a world where the 911 doesn't exist.  And that's a world in which I couldn't live.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on June 19, 2007, 08:58:11 PM
Who cares if other people know what it is?? That's a pretty sad reason to buy a car IMO, to impress your D-bag neighbors.

I agree there are better "real" sports cars for the price (GT3).? Or less (911 Carrera S).? But the M6 isn't one of them.

GT3 > M6 > 911S
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on June 19, 2007, 07:00:59 PM
Perhaps slightly off topic, but why is it called a "black series" when the car is not black in color?

Doesn't make any sense, does it? Black is a color, and nothing else. Even if they called it something like "Gold Edition," then the name would at least denote a premium product, because gold is also a precious metal. Or "Diamond Edition."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg483540#msg483540 date=1182340638
Yes, it is.?

Although, I must say, I saw a 650 the other day and in profile, it looked quite good.? Made me think about one again.? But then again, for me to ever buy one, I'd have to live in a world where the 911 doesn't exist.? And that's a world in which I couldn't live.

I think that goes for all current BMW's. If you could look at their "shadows" they would look quite good. They have great porportions, they just have ackward details.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Why is it called Black Series if it's not black??

Why does the 328i have a 3 liter engine?

Why is it called a Reuben, if it's made of corned beef and not people named Reuben?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on June 19, 2007, 10:01:23 PM
Are you guys going to do this when the Saab Black Turbo comes out and it will be offered in other colors than black?

Quite possibly. :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg483748#msg483748 date=1182359558
Why is it called Black Series if it's not black??

Why is it called a Reuben, if it's made of corned beef and not people named Reuben?

Names must have some meaning, or we might as well call it the Mercedes CLK ASUFHJNBFEWJBRIWEUQ@&#!*&#$*&!$@!*&!@13412746t17658---=/';;'... Edition.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Tave on June 20, 2007, 11:51:39 AM
Names must have some meaning, or we might as well call it the Mercedes CLK ASUFHJNBFEWJBRIWEUQ@&#!*&#$*&!$@!*&!@13412746t17658---=/';;'... Edition.

Abbreviated to "Mohawk Edition"

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

1 BAD 7

Very true SJ_GTI specialy that last part :lol:

On a more serious note I will take the M6 in that deep Monaco blue color and save the extra $25K.? Everytime I see this Monaco blue M6 rolling thru my neighbour hood I envy this doctor dude that is behind the wheels boy o boy..... lucky him.

But the more I think and rationalize the more I realize that if I had $106K-125K to spend on a ride then I would just get smaller, lighter and equaly fun all new M3 for nearly $60K and call it a day. :ohyeah:

I think the rest of that $65K could do some serious good if invested properly. :rockon:.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 12:11:56 PM
I personally couldn't care less about the price, I just put that info to refute the idea that the CLK class was a 6-series competitor. CLK AMG's have always been compared to M3's as far as I know. In fact, the only reason I can think that they used the M6 is because it happened to be the most expensive BMW they could find.

PS. The 530i pwns the soulless M45.? :lol:

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

ChrisV

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on June 20, 2007, 12:34:25 PM
But the more I think and rationalize the more I realize that if I had $106K-125K to spend on a ride then I would just get smaller, lighter and equaly fun all new M3 for nearly $60K and call it a day. :ohyeah:

I think the rest of that $65K could do some serious good if invested properly. :rockon:.

I'd be willing to bet that most people buying in this category aren't concerned about a mere $65k for investing, or they are leasing the car and aren't actually spending that $65k difference anyhow.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Champ

Quote from: Raza on June 20, 2007, 11:12:38 AM
What does the 'i' stand for in most of the BMW models?

I understand 3xxci is the convertable?  I can understand the 'c'.  Is the 'i' mean I-6 engine?

1 BAD 7

Good point chrisV :ohyeah:

Quote from: ChrisV on June 20, 2007, 12:44:17 PM
I'd be willing to bet that most people buying in this category aren't concerned about a mere $65k for investing, or they are leasing the car and aren't actually spending that $65k difference anyhow.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Champ on June 20, 2007, 12:44:59 PM
What does the 'i' stand for in most of the BMW models?

I understand 3xxci is the convertable?? I can understand the 'c'.? Is the 'i' mean I-6 engine?

I am not sure, but I think it has something to do with the fact that its a gas engine rather than diesel engine. For instance, a 3-series with a 2.0L diesel is called a 320d, the gas version is called 320i.

Champ

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 20, 2007, 12:48:05 PM
I am not sure, but I think it has something to do with the fact that its a gas engine rather than diesel engine. For instance, a 3-series with a 2.0L diesel is called a 320d, the gas version is called 320i.
Well why isn't everyone bitching about 'i' not meaning anything, but are having a tissy fit about 'black'.  You guys are funny.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Champ on June 20, 2007, 12:51:15 PM
Well why isn't everyone bitching about 'i' not meaning anything, but are having a tissy fit about 'black'.? You guys are funny.

I think it does mean something, I just don't know what it is.

And I wasn't bitching about the AMG anyway.  :cry:

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 20, 2007, 12:53:08 PM
I think it does mean something, I just don't know what it is.

And I wasn't bitching about the AMG anyway.? :cry:

Legend has it, it means "fuel injected".  Don't know if that's true.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Raza beat me to it. The system is obsolete now that they're entire line-up is EFI, but it still serves, as SJ pointed out, to differentiate between the gasoline and diesel models.

Champ

Ok, so 'Black' differentiates a special AMG one from a regular AMG one.  Just like 'i' differentiates gas from 'd' diesel.

quitcherbitchin.

Tave

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member, man! I don't know how I get away with it.
"I like my sandwiches with three pieces of bread."
"So do I."
"Well let's form a club then."
"Okay, but we need some more stipulations."
"Yes we do. Instead of cutting the sandwich once, let's cut it again."
"Yes, four triangles. And we will position them into a circle. And in the middle we will dump chips."
"Or potato salad."
"Okay. Lemme ask you a question: how do you feel about frilly toothpicks?"
"I'm for 'em!"
"Well this club is formed. Spread the word on menus nationwide!"

RIP Mitch

Lebowski

Quote from: ChrisV on June 20, 2007, 12:44:17 PM
...  or they are leasing the car and aren't actually spending that $65k difference anyhow.

Ah, because if you lease the car, you aren't actually spending the money.

If only that were true, I'd be driving an F430 right about now and ...

MX793

Quote from: Tave on June 20, 2007, 08:50:53 AM
Doesn't make any sense, does it? Black is a color, and nothing else. Even if they called it something like "Gold Edition," then the name would at least denote a premium product, because gold is also a precious metal. Or "Diamond Edition."

I only ask because you sometimes see motorcycles offered as a "Dark" edition (in the case of Ducati), but those versions are called such because they feature some coloration that distinguishes them from the regular models.  For instance, a Dark edition Ducati Monster featured flat black paint that wasn't available on the regular model.  Or the Harley Sportster Nightster edition, which likewise features dark coloration to distinguish it from other models.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

BMWology:

i = fuel injected
d = diesel
e = economical model
L (after numbers) = long wheelbase
x = AWD
c = cabrio/coupe/compact
///M = motorsports
L (before numbers) = specialty uber luxury model
T = touring/estate/wagon
Z = used to have to do with the "z" rear axle on the Z1 and Z3, but now it's just the designation for sports cars.
CSi = Coupe Sport Injected = big, poweful sports coupe when ///M just isn't appropriate

I don't think I'm missing any, but I could be wrong.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

Quote from: the Teuton on June 20, 2007, 08:38:22 PM
BMWology:

i = fuel injected
d = diesel
e = economical model
L (after numbers) = long wheelbase
x = AWD
c = cabrio/coupe/compact
///M = motorsports
L (before numbers) = specialty uber luxury model
T = touring/estate/wagon
Z = used to have to do with the "z" rear axle on the Z1 and Z3, but now it's just the designation for sports cars.
CSi = Coupe Sport Injected = big, poweful sports coupe when ///M just isn't appropriate

I don't think I'm missing any, but I could be wrong.

-CSL
-ti

I'll let you fill in the blanks.

the Teuton

Quote from: ro51092 on June 20, 2007, 08:41:29 PM
-CSL
-ti

I'll let you fill in the blanks.

CSL = club sport light, but that would technically be Klub Sport Leicht in German, which is KSL.  Why would they make the designation in English?

ti = turbo injected.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

Quote from: the Teuton on June 20, 2007, 09:04:47 PM
CSL = club sport light, but that would technically be Klub Sport Leicht in German, which is KSL.  Why would they make the designation in English?

ti = turbo injected.

ti means compact, like in the E36 318ti.

Raza

They've done away with "c" as well.  Which just makes things fucking confusing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg484559#msg484559 date=1182421486
They've done away with "c" as well.? Which just makes things fucking confusing.

Their current naming scheme for the 3-series is a complete clusterfuck.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on June 21, 2007, 07:58:37 AM
Their current naming scheme for the 3-series is a complete clusterfuck.

They have always have some inconsistencies in their naming, but I agree their current system is pretty strange.

There is logic to it, but unfortunately the logic isn't necessarily related to engine size anymore.