2007/06 Nissan 350z coupe 6-speed vs auto comparison?

Started by 1 BAD 7, June 20, 2007, 12:42:45 PM

1 BAD 7

Guys I was wondering how 2007/2006 Nissan 350z coupe 6-speed compares with auto version with regards to accleration, such as 0-60mph, 1/4th mile, 0-120mph, and mid-range pull etc. I know that the 6-speed has more horsepower and the auto has more torque but how does it effect there overall performance figures. Does any one know of an automotive source that has done a comparison of both versions with genuine performance figures:huh:

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

SVT666

sportyaccordy

I think they would be very close to each other. I know the gearing on the 5 spd auto is really good, and makes for an enjoyable drive in the lesser G35.

afty

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 20, 2007, 12:57:39 PM
:confused:

It's true for the 2006 model.  The manual was rated at 300 hp and the auto at 287.  It was the same for the G35 that year as well.  With the 2007 model and the new HR engine, they now both make 306 hp.

JYODER240

I'm not sure about the 07 because it uses the VQ35HR (which i'm not a big fan of), but the 06 which has the VQ35DE is rated at 300hp, 260lb-tq for the manual and 287hp, 274lb-ft for the auto. I've driven both, it feels how you would expect. The auto has a little more down low and the manual has a little more up top plus a higher redline. I don't know that one is really any noticably faster than the other but I would bet the manual has the edge.

I did go from about 65 to 100 with a 06 auto (which is heavier than mine) and put about a car lenght on him.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Zcarnut

The launching advantage of the manual would deside the winner from a standstill.
But otherwise,its probably a difference only your stopwatch would be able to see.
I dont think the 5AT itself weighs much more than the 6MT,but I THINK the gearing in the auto is slightly taller.

EDIT..3.538 is the 6MT rear ratio
         3.357 for the slushbox
(from 07' specs but I believe the ratios have been the same for both since 03')
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

SVT666

Why are they rated differently for the different trannies?

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 20, 2007, 03:34:59 PM

Because the engines put down different numbers :devil:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

It's not unheard of. The RX-8 auto makes less power than the manual.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Onslaught

Quote from: Tave on June 20, 2007, 03:39:14 PM
It's not unheard of. The RX-8 auto makes less power than the manual.
And it's also a disgrace. Auto rotaries should be illegal.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 20, 2007, 03:34:59 PM

Perhaps Nissan's engineers were seeking to counteract the inherent loss of overall power with an auto by making it torqier to give the driver a feeling of adequate power?  Good question.

Laconian

Maybe it's because automatics keep the engine revs low, so tuning for a torque bias would be more accessible than a high power peak.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Yoder, why don't you like the HR? My automobile magazine subscriptions have lapsed and so I'm not quite as in the loop as I used to be.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on June 20, 2007, 04:41:02 PM
Maybe it's because automatics keep the engine revs low, so tuning for a torque bias would be more accessible than a high power peak.

Automakers have been doing this for years. It's nothing new, and it's not exclusive to the 350z or RX8. What is the point of this thread anyway? Nobody in their right mind would ever buy a 350Z with an automatic, unless they were missing a leg.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

"But I need to commute!"
"My left leg gets tired."
"I need the other hand to text my friends."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on June 20, 2007, 04:53:59 PM
"But I need to commute!"

:nono:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

"But I need to commute!"

You rang?

edit: except the texting. I don't even talk on the phone unless I absoltuely have to, and even then I use my bluetooth thing.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

Quote from: Laconian on June 20, 2007, 04:42:26 PM
Yoder, why don't you like the HR? My automobile magazine subscriptions have lapsed and so I'm not quite as in the loop as I used to be.

Well to be honest I havent driven one yet but from what I've heard it doesn't sound nearly as good as the DE. I think i've heard the word "thrashy" used to describe it. I've also heard that NVH levels have taken a downturn. It's taller, i think due to a new intake manifold, so it knows requires an ugly hood on the 350Z. It has some decent power increases but I don't think it's worth it. Maybe if I drive one I'll change my mind, though.

JYODER240

Quote from: R-inge on June 20, 2007, 04:09:25 PM
Perhaps Nissan's engineers were seeking to counteract the inherent loss of overall power with an auto by making it torqier to give the driver a feeling of adequate power?? Good question.

I'm not sure why. For 03-04 all 350Z's auto or manual had the 287hp 6600rpm redline. In 05 manual Track and 35th anniversary models got the 300hp 7000rpm redline. For 06 the auto's got the 287hp and manuals got the 300hp.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on June 20, 2007, 04:48:07 PM
Automakers have been doing this for years. It's nothing new, and it's not exclusive to the 350z or RX8. What is the point of this thread anyway? Nobody in their right mind would ever buy a 350Z with an automatic, unless they were missing a leg.

I'd say then about 70% of 350Z drivers are not in their right mind.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on June 20, 2007, 03:36:51 PM
Because the engines put down different numbers :devil:
Transmissions don't have any effect on engine power.

Lebowski

"But I need to commute!"

Ha, I love it when people cite their leg getting tired as a reaosn not to get a manual.  Every once in awhile someone over on corvetteforum will use that as the reason they got an auto C6.

If your leg is getting tired in a modern manual transmission car, either you're doing something wrong or you are the most pathetically out of shape individual on the face of the earth.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 21, 2007, 07:56:55 AM
Ha, I love it when people cite their leg getting tired as a reaosn not to get a manual.? Every once in awhile someone over on corvetteforum will use that as the reason they got an auto C6.

If your leg is getting tired in a modern manual transmission car, either you're doing something wrong or you are the most pathetically out of shape individual on the face of the earth.

I've got a bad left knee that turns to jelly after working a clutch in tight spots too long. 

I still drive stick.

:lol:

Although, 911 clutches are about as stiff as they were 20 years ago.  That is, very. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

:nono: I've got a knee that I blew out in high school that still gives me a lot of trouble.  The clutch in my Mustang wasn't very heavy until I had been sitting in traffic that was crawling along at 2 mph and stopping every 10 feet.  By the time I got home my knee was so sore, I wouldn't get off the cough for the rest of the night.  I can only imagine how bad it would be in bigger cities.

JYODER240

Ha, I love it when people cite their leg getting tired as a reaosn not to get a manual.? Every once in awhile someone over on corvetteforum will use that as the reason they got an auto C6.

+1

Never once has my leg gotten tired.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9744.msg484556#msg484556 date=1182421067
I'd say then about 70% of 350Z drivers are not in their right mind.

The majority of 350Z's sold have manuals.

Champ

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 21, 2007, 07:36:07 AM
They do when they tune the engines differently :huh:

Tave

Did I say they did? I said the engines in the cars (manual and automatic) put down different numbers. I.E., they're tuned differently.

It was a smartass answer, for sure, but I responded that way because you asked,

Why are they rated differently for the different trannies?,

not

Why did Nissan tune the automatic for less power and more torque?

Tave

Quote from: Champ on June 21, 2007, 08:13:25 AM
They do when they tune the engines differently :huh:

No they don't. They don't tune the transmission to give the engine more power.

S204STi

No, but they have a huge impact on what percentage of it makes it to the wheels.