Spotted Today!

Started by Raza , June 22, 2005, 06:24:46 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on April 28, 2020, 05:59:27 PM
Wow, German does not lend itself well to space efficient labeling.

The original interior most likely didn't have any labeling. When I shoot classic cars I notice a lot of the buttons are not labeled. The owner essentially had to memorize their function. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on April 28, 2020, 08:05:26 PM
Reminds me of that scene in the movie U-571 where the German-American kid from Pennsylvania translates the sub's controls and valves into English for the rest of the crew.  ;)

Since there's nothing on TV I'm following a guy on Youtube who plays Silent Hunter III and does basically one hour long episodes. So intense! :lol:

Here's episode 1!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMujzr5laQg

Quote from: MrH on April 29, 2020, 08:11:01 AM
If there isn't a word for something in German, they literally just combine words that describe it.  While precise, it gets really really ridiculous.

We say grocery store.  They say Lebensmittelgeschaft, which basically translate to "food business", but Lebensmittel is not even food, it basically says "means to life" or something like that.

That's the craziness of the German language. You can literally combine all words and make sense out of them. The writers at Star Trek would have a field day with German technobabble.  :lol:

Spotted today! A Honda Element with California stickers on the rear (this car was never sold here) and a new BMW 4-Series Coupe.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Does Star Trek technobabble translate naturally to German?

Triaxilatingtachyonbaryonbeamenung
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on April 29, 2020, 11:11:54 AM
Does Star Trek technobabble translate naturally to German?

Triaxilatingtachyonbaryonbeamenung

It's basically a word-for-word translation of the original English. Could not find German Star Trek technobabble on Youtube, but maybe this clip has some (didn't watch it). ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5Lrft3-3g

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 29, 2020, 08:54:52 AM
The original interior most likely didn't have any labeling. When I shoot classic cars I notice a lot of the buttons are not labeled. The owner essentially had to memorize their function. ;)

That's still pretty common in big trucks today.

If you don't know what it does, you probably shouldn't touch it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 29, 2020, 11:36:45 AM

It's basically a word-for-word translation of the original English. Could not find German Star Trek technobabble on Youtube, but maybe this clip has some (didn't watch it). ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5Lrft3-3g

My former manager is trying to woo me to spend time in Munich but this language is just exhausting!!!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 29, 2020, 11:40:24 AM
That's still pretty common in big trucks today.

If you don't know what it does, you probably shouldn't touch it.
Very true.  My wife thought that the electric hand brake switch opened a storage compartment and decided to try it as I was just accelerating from a stop light.  Surprising how effectively the electric hand brakes engage. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on April 29, 2020, 11:44:17 AM
My former manager is trying to woo me to spend time in Munich but this language is just exhausting!!!

German = very technical and precise combined with exhaustingly long words.  :praise: :lol:

When you're stuck in traffic and suddenly there's a TURF WAR next to ya! Mercedes-Benz C63 ///AMG Coupe (C204) and BMW //M5 (F90):rockon:

Mercedes-Benz 710 "Kurzhauber" Historical Firetruck

Porsche 356 Speedster

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Ferrari 458 or 488 Italia behind me. Just activate the rear-facing camera and snap the shot.  :lol:

1968-1972 Alfa Romeo GTA 1300 Junior

Mercedes-Benz 250C Automatic Coupe (W114)

What a sin! How dare they do this to the best-looking Mercedes-Benz S-Class ever, the W116!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Alfa GTA/GTV, still one of the best looking sports coupes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2020, 04:33:16 PM
Alfa GTA/GTV, still one of the best looking sports coupes.

:ohyeah:

Citroen CX25 GTI Turbo! HOLY SHIT! The unicorn of the CX range!!! Top-of-the-line CX.  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Always thought they were unusual looking, but very compelling.  Not sure why.

Laconian

Yeah. Alluring in kind of an ugly way. The bold angles are pretty eye-catching on the SM/CX.

Eye of the Tiger

Holy Batmobile, I didn't know that was a thing
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2020, 06:21:42 AM
Holy Batmobile, I didn't know that was a thing

Citroen has put out some wild cars over the years. Good for them!
Will

cawimmer430

I actually prefer the original CX, which had more chrome. This one is a latter model with more plastic.  :ohyeah:

Spotted today! Porsche 914...

Lovely Mercedes-Benz W111 Coupe, based on the headlights either a 220SE or 250SE, basically base model.

A Mercedes-Benz 180 or 180D "Ponton".

I get weak when I see a W123, here's one I spotted at Castle Nymphenburg, took candid shots because the owner was inside.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

saw a string of sweet Acura supercars this morning in oldtown Alexandria VA this morning. I'll have to play around with editing video...
Will

cawimmer430

Porsche 914

Opel Blitz Van

Triumph TR4 IRS

Mercedes-Benz AMG GT Coupe

Maserati Gran Turismo speeding past me on the Autobahn. I was doing about 150 km/h, I estimate he was doing over 200 km/h.

Chevrolet Camaro Convertible roaring past me on the Autobahn...

Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

Citroen Acadiene

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Never used to care the the styling of the TRs, however, looking at them now, they don't look so bad.

How could you let a Camaro pass you? ;)

Laconian

"Citroen Acadiene"

I do love those little French worker vans. They're so dorky but for a lot of folks they're all you need. Working trucks here are FUCKING ENORMOUS and I don't know why. Maximizing the size of the tax writeoff, probably?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 12, 2020, 01:10:12 PM
"Citroen Acadiene"

I do love those little French worker vans. They're so dorky but for a lot of folks they're all you need. Working trucks here are FUCKING ENORMOUS and I don't know why. Maximizing the size of the tax writeoff, probably?

Ford Transit Connects seem to be a great worker size vehicle.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 12, 2020, 03:06:15 PM
Ford Transit Connects seem to be a great worker size vehicle.

Yeah, I like the Transit Connects too. They're Focus-based, right? I wonder how they drive.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 12, 2020, 03:37:59 PM
Yeah, I like the Transit Connects too. They're Focus-based, right? I wonder how they drive.

Dunno but efficient packaging, sliding doors on both sides (would be GREAT for more cars to have those).
Will

AutobahnSHO

Oh Miata RF in that gorgeous new Orange. :wub: I want that color on mine LOL.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 12, 2020, 03:37:59 PM

Almost exactly like an overweight, top heavy Focus woukd drive.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK CRD (3.0L diesel.) A rarity in the USA.

I complimented the owner, who was thrilled. He's owned it from new: it was a 2008 & the engine is Mercedes-sourced. He got a great deal and loved the car.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 12, 2020, 12:59:08 PM
How could you let a Camaro pass you? ;)

I had such excellent fuel economy ratings I didn't want to ruin them with a race that I would lose.  :lol:

Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon

IRONY - when Mitsubishi Forklift Services uses Volkswagen Transporter vans...

Mercedes-AMG GT Coupe

Audi 80 Quattro, possibly a 1983 model due to a reference in its historic license plate.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

I think I saw an old Ford GT40. What are the odds of that occurring? Was it a replica?

shp4man

Looks out of place in the European surroundings. It's about a '70 or '71. This generation are the best built of all Ford trucks, IMO.