Jaguar XJ Goes Diesel

Started by BMWDave, June 23, 2005, 05:13:34 AM

BMWDave

Jaguar XJ Goes Diesel
Date Posted 06-22-2005

HALEWOOD, England ? Jaguar is set to introduce a turbodiesel version of its flagship XJ model, which until now was available only with gasoline engines.

The product of a joint development between the PSA Group of France and Ford Motor Co. will be the most significant aspect of the updated XJ-Series.

The new 2.7-liter, six-cylinder engine makes 207 horsepower. The twin-turbo diesel weighs only 405 pounds, thanks to its aluminum composition. The engine can deliver a maximum 322 pound-feet of torque, outperforming the 4.2-liter gas variant. The diesel will accelerate the XJ from zero to 60 miles per hour in 8.1 seconds and reach a top speed of 140 mph.

In addition to producing all that power, the XJ's average fuel consumption of 35 miles per gallon is reasonable for a V6, and the addition of a catalyzed diesel particulate filter ensures the carbon dioxide emissions meet stringent European Stage 4 requirements.

Aside from the diesel engine, the new XJ will possess a host of new features such as a tire-pressure monitoring system, automatic speed limiter and Bluetooth wireless connectivity. And the XJ becomes the industry's first to be equipped with electronically controlled active engine mounts, which cancel 90 percent of engine vibration when the car is at idle.

What this means to you: The diesels are coming! The diesels are coming!

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

They'd never bring that to the US. A 2.7-liter XJ8 wouldn't sell.

R33 GT-R

QuoteThey'd never bring that to the US. A 2.7-liter XJ8 wouldn't sell.
Like you said, it would bomb horribly.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

ifcar

Unless they had high sales expectations, it couldn't. ;)

R33 GT-R

Like someone would want it over the Super 8 or the S.  Maybe a poser.

ifcar

Or maybe someone who wants fuel economy over power (Wimmer). They wouldn't be able to sell very many, but then again they aren't selling very many XJs anyway.

Raza

This is great news in the world of The Diesel.  But it won't sell here.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteThis is great news in the world of The Diesel.  But it won't sell here.
That's fine, they won't sell it here.  ;)  

R33 GT-R

QuoteOr maybe someone who wants fuel economy over power (Wimmer). They wouldn't be able to sell very many, but then again they aren't selling very many XJs anyway.
The XJ is due for some TLC from the Ford boys.  I still thinks a stunning car for the geriatric crowd, yes I think it's labled, but spice it up some and snag some of the younger upwardly mobile crowd.

Raza

QuoteOr maybe someone who wants fuel economy over power (Wimmer). They wouldn't be able to sell very many, but then again they aren't selling very many XJs anyway.
The XJ is due for some TLC from the Ford boys.  I still thinks a stunning car for the geriatric crowd, yes I think it's labled, but spice it up some and snag some of the younger upwardly mobile crowd.
Nah, that won't happen.  VW tried that "You drove a Jetta when you were younger, now drive a Phaeton because you're successful!"...it won't work.  Young people don't want XJ sized cars--what Jag needs to concentrate on now is a new S Type and something to replace the god-awful X Type.  And I hate the nomenclature.  It should be "ST6" "ST8" and "STR".  The X has two 6 cylinder engines, so I'm not sure how to do that..."XT6" and "XTS"?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

What do you mean? The XJ is already arguably the most fun-to-drive car in its class.

R33 GT-R

QuoteWhat do you mean? The XJ is already arguably the most fun-to-drive car in its class.
I drove a Super 8 and it was a blast but like I said, give me more grey hair and another 30 years and I'll think about it.  

Raza

The XJ is best in class.  Probably.  It's definitely up there.  2nd or 3rd at least.  Which says alot from what it was just a few years ago.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe XJ is best in class.  Probably.  It's definitely up there.  2nd or 3rd at least.  Which says alot from what it was just a few years ago.
From what I understand Ford supposedly invested millions in quality control issues at Jaguar plants to produce a reliable car that stays home instead of the shop.

Raza

QuoteThe XJ is best in class.  Probably.  It's definitely up there.  2nd or 3rd at least.  Which says alot from what it was just a few years ago.
From what I understand Ford supposedly invested millions in quality control issues at Jaguar plants to produce a reliable car that stays home instead of the shop.
Ford should be doing something--other than losing a billion in Jag's F1 program.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe XJ is best in class.? Probably.? It's definitely up there.? 2nd or 3rd at least.? Which says alot from what it was just a few years ago.
Ford should be doing something--other than losing a billion in Jag's F1 program.
Agreed, it's pure stupidity.  

BMWDave

QuoteThe XJ is best in class.  Probably.  It's definitely up there.  2nd or 3rd at least.  Which says alot from what it was just a few years ago.
Its also one of the most reliable in its class...every long term test I see of the XJ gushes about how the car has been trouble free, etc.  Its also the lightest car in its class, which is very good.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Like everyone else has said, we will never get this car, but perhaps we will get a XJ equipped with the new diesel V8 the XK will be getting.  

ifcar

cawimmer430

2.7-l diesel for an XJ? Seems kind of low if you take into regard the competition. I mean 207-hp and the appropriate torque seem fine, but Audi, BMW and Mercedes offer the A8 3.0 TDI, 730d and S320 CDI respecticely: all engines with an engine cc rating of at least 3-liters or higher. I'm sure it's a good engine, but I have a feeling that it will be outclassed by the big German three diesels.  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote2.7-l diesel for an XJ? Seems kind of low if you take into regard the competition. I mean 207-hp and the appropriate torque seem fine, but Audi, BMW and Mercedes offer the A8 3.0 TDI, 730d and S320 CDI respecticely: all engines with an engine cc rating of at least 3-liters or higher. I'm sure it's a good engine, but I have a feeling that it will be outclassed by the big German three diesels.
A luxury car doesn't need to outgun a Corvette, Wimmer.  ;)  

cawimmer430

Quote2.7-l diesel for an XJ? Seems kind of low if you take into regard the competition. I mean 207-hp and the appropriate torque seem fine, but Audi, BMW and Mercedes offer the A8 3.0 TDI, 730d and S320 CDI respecticely: all engines with an engine cc rating of at least 3-liters or higher. I'm sure it's a good engine, but I have a feeling that it will be outclassed by the big German three diesels.
You're learning IFCAR.  :lol:

Next time you do your midsize mainstreamer comparison, make sure to mention that none of those cars can smoke a Corvette...which means they SUCK and are NOT WORTH buying.  :D  :P  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

You're learning IFCAR.  :lol:

Next time you do your midsize mainstreamer comparison, make sure to mention that none of those cars can smoke a Corvette...which means they SUCK and are NOT WORTH buying.  :D  :P
I'll keep that in mind.  :D