To Hell In a Handbasket

Started by Rich, June 25, 2007, 12:50:39 PM

Rich

I see pigs flying

Hell is getting chilly

Omicron is sobering up

Raghaven is starting to like FWD

GoCougs is thinking about buying shares of GM stock

Raza is thinking about buying a Cobalt and FordSVT is going to sell his Mustang!  (Oh...wait.... :lol:)

Ferarri is going to build a Hybrid :

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121391#2

Ferrari con Carne: FXX Mille Chili Concept

MARANELLO, Italy ? The centerpiece of Ferrari's future-tech presentation at the Fiorano test track was the FXX Mille Chili, described by several European journals as "the most important concept ever presented" by the House of Maranello.

Not intended for production, the Mille Chili (Italian for 1,000 kilos) displays a grab bag of innovative future technologies, many derived from Formula One racing, that Ferrari intends to begin applying to production cars over the next five years.

Among those technologies: hybrid drivetrains, carbon-fiber chassis and bodywork, fixed seats with adjustable pedals and steering, carbon-ceramic brakes and active aerodynamics.

The Mille Chili resembles a shrunken Enzo; in fact, it is more than 3 feet shorter and weighs more than 600 pounds less than the Ferrari supercar. The company says it could easily accommodate the Enzo's 6.0-liter V12, but Ferrari seems more intent on trumpeting its recent development work on high-performance hybrids.

The Ferrari system appears to be unique in that it ties an electric motor to the gearbox rather than the engine. The system is said to provide a seamless and near-instantaneous burst of torque during shifts, when the conventional engine is powered down. Coupled with an electronically controlled transmission, the system could find its way into Ferrari production cars by 2012. Ferrari also says that most of its future vehicles will be able to run on bioethanol.

What this means to you: Maranello joins such other prestigious marques as BMW and Lexus in exploring the performance parameters of future hybrid technology ? certainly a promising development for green-minded enthusiasts around the globe.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Need I more proof that Ferrari has lost its way?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

The ghost of Enzo is not amused.

Soup DeVille

OK, so why did Ferrari name a car after Milli Vanilli?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

NomisR

What's next?  A Ferrari Saloon?  :banghead:

Tave

NomisR brings up a valid point, IMO: as long as the car is intended to be a sportscar, what's wrong with it? There's people who bitch about V8 Ferraris, yet how many here think the 360 or its line isn't a "real Ferrari."

Just because Ferrari makes a product doesn't mean it will live up to the brand's reputation, but if they happen to make a hybrid that captures the essence of Ferrari, what do you people have to complain about?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

You know though, the problem I have with a Hybrid is, it doesn't add much to the performance and it increases weight.. there's no benefit for it to be in a sport car..  but if it actually adds to it, i'm all for it..

I'd rather see Ferrari create an electric Ferrari, that'd be really fast in the same fashion as the Tesla is based on the Lotus Elise... I'd get one of those!   :ohyeah:

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on June 25, 2007, 05:01:28 PM
You know though, the problem I have with a Hybrid is, it doesn't add much to the performance and it increases weight.. there's no benefit for it to be in a sport car..? but if it actually adds to it, i'm all for it..

So far. Someone might come along and wow us. Ferrari doesn't guarantee that, but they have a shot, just like everyone else. I think it's premature to condemn their effort before we know how bad it actually sucks :tounge:

QuoteI'd rather see Ferrari create an electric Ferrari, that'd be really fast in the same fashion as the Tesla is based on the Lotus Elise... I'd get one of those!? ?:ohyeah:

That would be cool. In fact, it'd be awsome to see the Tesla make production with someone, period.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Submariner

If they can make a hybrid thats as raw as the F40, only faster, i'll bite.

Hell, if Ferrari just makes cars that lose the pounds, ill be happy.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

NomisR

Most likely though, I think Ferrari is going the same direction that Honda is going with the Hybrid technology, more of an assistance for additional power instead of a replacement as with the Toyota version of the hybrid.

I like Honda's method better but I don't know if the additional power would out weight the additional weight from it..