SantaFe, Equinox, E-Series tip in rollover testing

Started by ifcar, June 23, 2005, 07:06:08 AM

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

ifcar

mazda6er

Apparently extending the VUE's wheelbase wasn't the greatest idea ever.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

The Vue itself tipped in an earlier round of rollover testing.

R33 GT-R

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe Vue itself tipped in an earlier round of rollover testing.
What kind of shoes was it sporting when it rolled, don't say Firestone.

ifcar

Whatever were the standard tires equipped on it, I suppose. NHTSA didn't say.

TBR

No reason to trust this, inaccurate testing is useless. Unless they actually took these vehicles to a skid pad and ran them through an emergency lane change manuever rather than using their little turn table I wouldn't even bother looking at this data before buying a suv.  

ifcar

QuoteNo reason to trust this, inaccurate testing is useless. Unless they actually took these vehicles to a skid pad and ran them through an emergency lane change manuever rather than using their little turn table I wouldn't even bother looking at this data before buying a suv.
That's not what the dynamic test is. Look into it, then let us know what you find.

TBR

Excellent, they have changed their testing procedure:
"The new dynamic maneuvering test used by NHTSA to help evaluate rollover risk utilizes a heavily loaded vehicle (to represent a five-occupant load), and a full tank of gas. Using a fishhook pattern, the vehicle simulates a high-speed collision avoidance maneuver?steering sharply in one direction, then sharply in the other direction?within about one second. Test instruments on the vehicle measure if the vehicle?s inside tires lift off the pavement during the maneuver ("inside" meaning the left wheels if turning left, and the right wheels if turning right). The vehicle is considered to have tipped up in the maneuver if both inside tires lift at least two inches off the pavement simultaneously. The tip-up/no tip-up results are then used with the SSF measurement as inputs in a statistical model that estimates the vehicle?s overall risk of rollover in a single-vehicle crash.13"

Much more useful than before, these numbers are worth a look I guess.  

ifcar

Unfortunately, their star ratings are still flawed, as they put more emphasis on  the static measurements than the dynamic test, and the test itself doesn't represent many real-life circumstances. You'd be better off just looking at tip vs. no-tip than at the actual computed "rollover risk."
One of the C/D editors had a great column about the test and its flaws, "Good Enough For Government Work". I doubt it's on the web anymore, do you get C/D?

TBR

QuoteUnfortunately, their star ratings are still flawed, as they put more emphasis on  the static measurements than the dynamic test, and the test itself doesn't represent many real-life circumstances. You'd be better off just looking at tip vs. no-tip than at the actual computed "rollover risk."
One of the C/D editors had a great column about the test and its flaws, "Good Enough For Government Work". I doubt it's on the web anymore, do you get C/D?
Yeah, I do. That column was the basis for my original post, for some reason I was thinking that the rating took into account the static measurements only.  

SargeMonkey

I don't like the roll over tests, they are not very "real life", when most SUV's roll in this area it when its icy and the soccer moms are about.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TBR

I just now noticed that the E-series was listed. That van needs some serious safety improvement, from what I understand there is no rollover or side impact protection from the B-pillar back, just sheetmetal, cardboard, and plastic. There aren't many vehicles still on the market that are just plain unsafe, but the E-series is definitely one of them.