Saab hoping to introduce 8 new models

Started by BMWDave, June 23, 2005, 10:04:33 AM

BMWDave

Saab's new model program revived; automaker hoping to introduce eight new models
WIM OUDE WEERNINK | Automotive News Europe
Posted Date: 6/23/05
GOTHENBURG, Sweden -- Saab Automobile AB's new-model program, which was put on hold three years ago, has been revived.

That means the General Motors subsidiary will introduce eight models over the next eight years.

Saab officials do not want to comment on the program. But there is excitement about the brand's opportunities among employees and dealers.

"We finally get what we need to compete with Audi or BMW," one Saab dealer in Europe said.

In the short term, Saab will present a face-lift of its 9-5 flagship model at the Frankfurt auto show in September. That move was necessary, the dealer said, because a successor model has been delayed by uncertainty over the brand's future. The current 9-5 debuted in 1997.

The 9-3 sport wagon, which will debut this autumn, is expected to boost 9-3 sales. The sedan introduced in 2002 has not met expectations in a declining European market for sedans.

Saab's next new model, the 9-6X, is based on Subaru's B9 Tribeca sport wagon. The 9-6X will be built starting next year at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. in Lafayette, Ind.

Saab's core models will be the 9-3 and 9-5. Successors of both models, based on GM's second-generation Epsilon architecture, will be produced at Opel's plant in Ruesselsheim, Germany, after 2008. "The two together should generate 150,000 annual sales volume," a Saab source said. "But niche models should bring Saab's future sales volume up to 250,000."

Saab plans a successor to the Subaru-derived 9-2X, plus a Saab crossover vehicle.

Last year, Saab built 122,805 cars, including 84,591 9-3 sedans and convertibles. Saab boosted production before the 9-3 sport wagon launch, making 8,665 units in April alone.

"All future Saabs will be true Saab designs, not hybrids such as the Subaru-derived 9-2X or the Chevrolet TrailBlazer-derived 9-7X," the European dealer said. "The model strategy will be based on crossover vehicles and all-wheel drive."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Quote"Saab's next new model, the 9-6X, is based on Subaru's B9 Tribeca sport wagon. The 9-6X will be built starting next year at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. in Lafayette, Ind."

"All future Saabs will be true Saab designs, not hybrids such as the Subaru-derived 9-2X or the Chevrolet TrailBlazer-derived 9-7X," the European dealer said. "The model strategy will be based on crossover vehicles and all-wheel drive."
<_<  

BMWDave

Quote"Saab's next new model, the 9-6X, is based on Subaru's B9 Tribeca sport wagon. The 9-6X will be built starting next year at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. in Lafayette, Ind."

<_<
They say it will be based off the Tribeca, then they say there will be no hybrids. :rolleyes:  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

<_<
They say it will be based off the Tribeca, then they say there will be no hybrids. :rolleyes:
I thought that was interesting too, perhaps they meant that the new vehicles will only be based on other GM models and not be clones like the 9-7x and 9-2x are.  

ifcar

<_<
That was my point, when I put those two paragraphs next to each other and put in my own  <_< .  ;)  

BMWDave

<_<
That was my point, when I put those two paragraphs next to each other and put in my own  <_< .  ;)
No, the smiley wasnt meant for you.....I was agreeing with you B)  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

<_<
I thought that was interesting too, perhaps they meant that the new vehicles will only be based on other GM models and not be clones like the 9-7x and 9-2x are.
The 9-7X definitely is more than just a clone, it has a redone exterior, interior, and platform.

BMWDave

<_<
The 9-7X definitely is more than just a clone, it has a redone exterior, interior, and platform.
Here we go again :rolleyes:  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

<_<
I know, it's just that most people would just say "I agree" or "what he said" rather than just paraphrasing the comment that they quoted.  ;)  

BMWDave

<_<
I know, it's just that most people would just say "I agree" or "what he said" rather than just paraphrasing the comment that they quoted.  ;)
Oh well, next time I'll do that.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

<_<
Oh well, next time I'll do that.
You don't have to, I just thought it was odd/funny.  

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

I hate seeing my favorite brands being perverted and pimped out to the masses.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteI hate seeing my favorite brands being perverted and pimped out to the masses.
Yep, the thing same thing is happening to VW :(  

Raza

QuoteI hate seeing my favorite brands being perverted and pimped out to the masses.
Yeah, true.  However, as much as I like my car, the Phaeton, and the R32, I've got no love for VW, but the rest of VWAG I like.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Yeah, true.  However, as much as I like my car, the Phaeton, and the R32, I've got no love for VW, but the rest of VWAG I like.
You hate the LS430 but like the Phaeton? Is it coming down to the styling, or what?

Raza

You hate the LS430 but like the Phaeton? Is it coming down to the styling, or what?
Styling, dynamics, quality.  The Phaeton matches or exceeds in those three qualities and does it for less money.

It's really just a steel frame A8.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

ifcar

Styling, dynamics, quality.  The Phaeton matches or exceeds in those three qualities and does it for less money.

Dynamics? The Phaeton is the only luxury sedan that doesn't beat the LS430's dynamics. It handles like the 5,200 lb pig that it is, and the steering is totally devoid of any feel.

Raza

Dynamics? The Phaeton is the only luxury sedan that doesn't beat the LS430's dynamics. It handles like the 5,200 lb pig that it is, and the steering is totally devoid of any feel.
If you think the Phaeton has worse dynamics than the LS430, they've been giving you some LS's that don't have stock suspensions, because thsoe things are floaty as hell.  The Phaeton feels much more buttoned down.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

If you think the Phaeton has worse dynamics than the LS430, they've been giving you some LS's that don't have stock suspensions, because thsoe things are floaty as hell.  The Phaeton feels much more buttoned down.
Someone's been seeing the world through anti-Toyota goggles.  :rolleyes:

It's one thing to say that the LS430 doesn't handle well, because it doesn't. It's another to say that the Phaeton is any better, when it's arguably worse.

R33 GT-R

I would rather kick the 430 than the Photon.

LostBoy

<_<
Yeah...that sounds rather...fishy.

To be fair, though, IIRC, Saab has always used platforms/engines of other manufacturers and then tuned them to their liking to creat the "Saab feel."  That's the only way Saab was able to remain independent for so long on niche vehicles that weren't exorbitantly priced...but it left them little capital to fend off a market decline and buyout.  If Saab plans to use GM platforms and engines...so be it.  But the key is whether they will continue their "Saab-ifying" tradition, or simply become a different shade of corporate GM.  Let's hope that the 9-6x is much more than a "breathed-on" Subaru, and that future Epsilon-based cars are in fact just that:  Saabs based on the Epsilon platform...not based on an entire GM vehicle.  For instance...the Trailblazer and 9-2x.  Does that distinction make sense?

cozmik

<_<

To be fair, though, IIRC, Saab has always used platforms/engines of other manufacturers and then tuned them to their liking to creat the "Saab feel."  That's the only way Saab was able to remain independent for so long on niche vehicles that weren't exorbitantly priced...but it left them little capital to fend off a market decline and buyout.  If Saab plans to use GM platforms and engines...so be it.  But the key is whether they will continue their "Saab-ifying" tradition, or simply become a different shade of corporate GM.  Let's hope that the 9-6x is much more than a "breathed-on" Subaru, and that future Epsilon-based cars are in fact just that:  Saabs based on the Epsilon platform...not based on an entire GM vehicle.  For instance...the Trailblazer and 9-2x.  Does that distinction make sense?
Saab had always developed their own platforms until GM, but their engines had roots in other companies. The I4 that Saab has used for ages dates back to a Triumph engine which itself was derrived from a tractor engine. Saab used it, eventually started making it themselves, and ended up getting it to the point it is today in the 9-5.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

<_<

Saab had always developed their own platforms until GM, but their engines had roots in other companies. The I4 that Saab has used for ages dates back to a Triumph engine which itself was derrived from a tractor engine. Saab used it, eventually started making it themselves, and ended up getting it to the point it is today in the 9-5.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 9000 share a platform with the Alfa Romeo 164 and a Fiat of some sort?  

cozmik

You are correct, I totally forgot about the 9000. Actually it shared the glass and door panels as well, not to mention a lot of the interior IIRC. The C900 and its forbearers all had Saab designed platforms though. The Sonnett had its own platform as well, but with Ford V4 engines instead of the Triumph derived I4.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

QuoteYou are correct, I totally forgot about the 9000. Actually it shared the glass and door panels as well, not to mention a lot of the interior IIRC. The C900 and its forbearers all had Saab designed platforms though. The Sonnett had its own platform as well, but with Ford V4 engines instead of the Triumph derived I4.
That is what I thought, thanks for confirming.