Link

Not for U.S. Sale: BMW Alpina B5
Road Warrior: The legendary BMW tuner launches the fastest E60 yet
MATT DAVIS
Published Date: 6/20/05
BMW ALPINA B5
ON SALE: Now; not in North America
BASE PRICE: $100,900
POWERTRAIN: 4.4-liter, 493-hp, 516-lb-ft supercharged V8; rwd, six-speed Switch-Tronic auto
CURB WEIGHT: 4078 lbs
0 TO 62 MPH: 4.7 seconds (mfr.)

We were minding our ownbusiness along the Bavarian B-roads in the latest Alpina creation, the B5 sedan, when we entered a long no-speed-limit stretch of autobahn. Just as we started to accelerate, a silver Porsche 996 911 Turbo S coupe went flying past at about 190 mph. Could we resist the temptation? Punching the gas pedal of the BMW Alpina B5 helped demonstrate nearly every technological wonder of the discreet German company. In about 10 seconds we were on the Turbo S?s tail at 190 mph. Top speed on the Turbo S is 191 mph while we had 195 mph available to us in the new B5. It was easy to see the driver of the Turbo S was upset about being followed so easily by a BMW 5 Series four-door.

Then a slower car pulled into the fast lane ahead of the Porsche and the brakes went on hard. Whereas this sort of braking is the norm in a low-lying Porsche, it is more exciting in a relatively tall 5 Series. But we were amazed by the stopping power. Alpina pulls the same non-cross-drilled brake set that it uses on the larger B7?14.7 x 1.4 inch front, 14.5 x 0.9 inch rears?and applies it here to its fastest creation. We were shocked by this display of braking, as we were convinced evasive measures would be required. And it was all done with pure comfort.

What a piece of work is this B5. Calling Alpina a BMW aftermarket partner is wrong. Alpina is the only outside company BMW partners with and still insists on having the BMW symbol left on the hood and cargo lid. Too bad the plan to tackle the U.S. market in 2002 was canceled after a short time.

The motor in the B5 is the supercharged 493-hp, 4.4-liter 90-degree V8 that starts life as a naturally aspirated 4.4-liter V8 as used in the 545i, 745i and Li. Bore and stroke stay the same, but everything is pulled apart and machined and polished to surgical standards. The crankshaft is the same but is hardened through multiple heat treatments. Harder Mahle pistons are used and first, second and third gears are hardened to take the added torque stresses. Adding the ASA intercooled Nautilus-style radial supercharger to the throttle body-less Valvetronic system is a first for the company. The supercharger is belt-driven from the crankshaft and boost pressure from the constantly spinning turbine in the radial unit reaches 0.81 bar (11.7 psi). The result is no lag between accelerator input and engine output, combined with optimized fuel economy at lower everyday speeds during which the supercharger takes a breather. It leeches only 20 hp from the engine?s top end to operate this unit. By comparison, the Roots compressor in the 6.5-liter Mercedes-Benz V12 reportedly eats 120 hp at 6000 rpm.

The Alpina?s 493 hp are  available from 5500 rpm until redline at 6000 rpm. Coupled with 516 lb-ft from 4250 to 5250 rpm, it?s apparent why that Porsche had trouble escaping us at those higher revs at speed.

Alpina?s B5 aero design has a practical strategy of cooling and stabilizing?two things it does well. Alpina 19-inch, 20-spoke alloy wheels and Michelin Sport Contact 2 tires together provide the footing needed at these extreme limits?245/40 ZR19 front and 275/35 rear. Acceleration to 62 mph takes 4.7 seconds, equal to the M5.

The B5 comes as a sedan or wagon in Alpina blue. Base price, fully loaded, pre-tax, is 77,500 Euros ($100,900). BMW Alpina builds 1000 cars per year with final assembly on the BMW production line, so this price seems shockingly reasonable to us.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

An M5 will be faster and aren't all Alpinas automatics?  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Oh and 493 bhp and 516lb-ft is the exact same numbers as the S55 AMG.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteOh and 493 bhp and 516lb-ft is the exact same numbers as the S55 AMG.
Yea, I noticed that.  Thats pretty strange.

First off, I dont understand why anyone would pay more money for an Alpina B5 than an M5.  M5 has more horsepower, a better way of delivering that power (high strung V10) and arguable looks a lot better.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Personally, I like superchargers.

But I don't like automatics.  Every Alpina I've ever seen or heard of has a two pedal trans, and that leads me to believe that they only make automatics.  And that's definitely what a high performance BMW is about.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuotePersonally, I like superchargers.

But I don't like automatics.  Every Alpina I've ever seen or heard of has a two pedal trans, and that leads me to believe that they only make automatics.  And that's definitely what a high performance BMW is about.
I think that its their rule that they only make automatics.

2007 Honda S2000

SargeMonkey

I never looked into bmw's ,not counting mini, maybe an old cheapy but not the new ones, very nice.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TBR

First off, I dont understand why anyone would pay more money for an Alpina B5 than an M5.  M5 has more horsepower, a better way of delivering that power (high strung V10) and arguable looks a lot better.
Rarity I guess.  

BMWDave

Rarity I guess.
I think an M5 is pretty rare.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Rarity I guess.
I think an M5 is pretty rare.
Not as rare as a B5.  

850CSi

The B5 is a lot more civilized than the ///M5, it's a lot easier to drive day-in and day-out.

That said, that's probably the only advantage, and I'd personally favor an ///M5 any day of the week except maybe monday. :lol:

Submariner

QuoteBy comparison, the Roots compressor in the 6.5-liter Mercedes-Benz V12 reportedly eats 120 hp at 6000 rpm.
Sense when did Merc' have a 6.5 V-12?  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

QuoteBy comparison, the Roots compressor in the 6.5-liter Mercedes-Benz V12 reportedly eats 120 hp at 6000 rpm.
Perhaps they got confused since the cars with that V12 are the SL65, S65, and CL65.

BMWDave

Perhaps they got confused since the cars with that V12 are the SL65, S65, and CL65.
And "sense" is spelled since ;)

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

He says Roots compressor, which I take to mean a roots type supercharger.  Well...

Mercedes doesn't have supercharged V12...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteHe says Roots compressor, which I take to mean a roots type supercharger.  Well...

umm SL65?

Edit:  whoops I thought you said turbocharged.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteHe says Roots compressor, which I take to mean a roots type supercharger.  Well...

umm SL65?

Edit:  whoops I thought you said turbocharged.
How did you think I said turbocharged?  The word "supercharge" is in my post twice!

MB has four V12 iterations.  The 5.5L 600, the 5.5L Maybach, and I believe the 5.5L 65, all turbocharged.  The fourth V12 is the 7.3L AMG.

None are supercharged.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i