Edmunds: G37 vs. 335i.

Started by MexicoCityM3, July 03, 2007, 09:16:58 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on July 03, 2007, 02:30:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it's a Tatra sedan.

IT'S A FUCKING REAL-LIFE REAR ENGINED SEDAN FOR ALL YOU NONBELIEVERS!  :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

red_shift

Quote from: TheIntrepid on July 03, 2007, 02:30:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it's a Tatra sedan.

Right you are. What an innovative car. Probably scary as hell in the snow for housewives, but the perfect car for me! (I think)? :lol:
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

Eye of the Tiger

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on July 03, 2007, 02:26:04 PM
So it does not come as a surprise to you that my colleague rates his BMW 530i a slightly better feeling driver than his (gasp) Porsche!
(I am sure he is exaggerating though)

I don't think he'd be surprised that anyone said a BMW is better at anything than anything else.  He's a BMW troll!

(Just poking fun, Mex.  You love your car.  I'm guilty of that too.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

red_shift

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 03, 2007, 02:29:10 PM
Seems like a stretch to me. Is it an E39 or an E60? The E39 was regarded as the best driving sedan in the world for many years, so maybe.

E39. I have driven it. It's good, but come on..
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: red_shift on July 03, 2007, 03:06:37 PM

I haven't driven an E39 but I agree with you, better than a 911? Don't think so.

The 530i was the best E39 handling-wise b/c of the rack & pinion steering and lighter weight. The 540i and the M5 had recirculating ball steering.

I have driven a 530i E60 and its very far from being a 911.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9943.msg494705#msg494705 date=1183495312
I don't think he'd be surprised that anyone said a BMW is better at anything than anything else.? He's a BMW troll!

I do look at life through "///M Colored Glasses". :praise:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 03, 2007, 03:34:56 PM
I do look at life through "///M Colored Glasses". :praise:

Don't feel bad.

A coworker has a black M3.  E46, I don't know the year or the mileage, but his daily commute is about half mine (so, 50 miles a day for him).  He wants to buy a 135i.  Around the time of the introduction of the 135i, I will be losing my Passat since the lease will be up.  So, there's a possibility that we'll be doing our transactions at the same time.  So, there will be a black, 6 speed M3 up for sale around me that will be high mileage and relatively cheap with a credible history around the same time that I will be looking for a new car. 

Kismet?  It's no Laguna Seca Blue, but black's nice.  2/3 of the cars I've owned have been black. 

I ran an example car through KBB; a 2002 with 80K miles and CD and leather in "Good" condition.  Trade in value was $19,700.  Which means, if I offer $21K, he might go for it...

It would be a damn shame for me to buy a BMW.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on July 03, 2007, 01:19:54 PM
I drove the regular TL, and man, it was not very good to me.  TSX is a better car, in my opinion.
TSX was painfully slow IMO, though it did have a good tranny.  The handling was also pretty wallowy IMO.  The Type-S was significantly more appealing to me than either the regular TL or TSX.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

1 BAD 7

I dont know because I have never drove my E39 back to back with a Porsche 911.

But if I had to guess I would say it is a stretch to say that E39 sedan would drive better then a sports car like Porsche 911. Maybe you should ask him in what sense is he speaking :huh:

On the other hand I do remember clearly that my friend when he was looking to buy a new car went on a test drive to see if he would like a Porsche 911. He was planing on trading his E46 BMW M3 at that time. But he came back and told me that he didnot like Porsche 911 it didnot feel much faster or even more involving then his M3. He also hated the interior layout and felt it looked real dated and boring. Anyways he settled for a BMW 645ci at the end as he thought it was more to his taste.

I guess everything comes down to individual taste some people swear by Porsche while others dont find them all that and a bag of chips.

Quote from: red_shift on July 03, 2007, 03:06:37 PM

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

I have driven my coworkers 335i and it truly is amazing.  It's by far the best all around performance car I've ever driven.  Having said that I would rather buy a Mustang.

:lol:

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on July 03, 2007, 10:56:57 PM
TSX was painfully slow IMO, though it did have a good tranny.  The handling was also pretty wallowy IMO.  The Type-S was significantly more appealing to me than either the regular TL or TSX.

The TSX does have mushy stock tires. 

But I found it quick enough.  Some people do care more for forward thrust than I do, though. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on July 04, 2007, 08:14:16 AM
The TSX does have mushy stock tires. 

But I found it quick enough.  Some people do care more for forward thrust than I do, though. 
I find that opinion interesting considering you bought the more powerful S model of the Boxster lineup.  It would seem that choice is rather incongruent with some of your opinions described here and elsewhere.

But, please do not think I am insulting you, I am not.  I am only trying to understand you better  :ohyeah:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Lebowski

Quote from: LonghornTX on July 04, 2007, 12:18:11 PM
I find that opinion interesting considering you bought the more powerful S model of the Boxster lineup.? It would seem that choice is rather incongruent with some of your opinions described here and elsewhere.

But, please do not think I am insulting you, I am not.? I am only trying to understand you better? :ohyeah:.

He got the S because he's a badge whore.

Lebowski

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 04, 2007, 12:16:25 AM

On the other hand I do remember clearly that my friend when he was looking to buy a new car went on a test drive to see if he would like a Porsche 911. He was planing on trading his E46 BMW M3 at that time. But he came back and told me that he didnot like Porsche 911 it didnot feel much faster or even more involving then his M3. He also hated the interior layout and felt it looked real dated and boring. Anyways he settled for a BMW 645ci at the end as he thought it was more to his taste.

645 over a 911?  Your friend has interesting taste.  And by interesting, I mean really, really bad.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on July 04, 2007, 12:26:22 PM
645 over a 911?  Your friend has interesting taste.  And by interesting, I mean really, really bad.

You're wrong. Kayani said it, and therefore it must be, across all the lands. A 645ci >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any 911, in any regard

TheIntrepid

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 04, 2007, 03:57:48 PM
You're wrong. Kayani said it, and therefore it must be, across all the lands. A 645ci >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any 911, in any regard

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

1 BAD 7

Dude shutup with your non-sense and grow up loser :evildude:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 04, 2007, 03:57:48 PM

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Like I said it is just a matter of taste he didnot care for Porsche 911 and instead it finaly came down between BMW 645ci or CLS 500. Like they say different strokes for different folks.

Quote from: Lebowski on July 04, 2007, 12:26:22 PM
645 over a 911?? Your friend has interesting taste.? And by interesting, I mean really, really bad.

www.KayaniTravel.com

TBR

So basically, for your friend, style meant more than performance. I am not sure why else a person would cross shop those three cars seeing as how they are very different in nature. The 645ci is a big luxury gt and therefore makes almost no sense whatsoever. The CLS500 is a sports sedan and there is really no reason to get one over a cheaper E500. The 911, on the otherhand, is a legend for a reason.

Submariner

Quote from: TBR on July 04, 2007, 09:16:41 PM
So basically, for your friend, style meant more than performance. I am not sure why else a person would cross shop those three cars seeing as how they are very different in nature. The 645ci is a big luxury gt and therefore makes almost no sense whatsoever. The CLS500 is a sports sedan and there is really no reason to get one over a cheaper E500. The 911, on the otherhand, is a legend for a reason.

It looks better, handles better, is more exclusive?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

I am not sure how it would handle better when they have the same suspension, though I guess the wider track might help. As far as looking better and being more exclusive, that is precisely my point (though, I find the car to be overdone while the E is just perfect).

ro51092

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 04, 2007, 07:35:00 PM
Dude shutup with your non-sense and grow up loser :evildude:

Anyone remember my list of Kayanisms?

Eye of the Tiger

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on July 04, 2007, 12:18:11 PM
I find that opinion interesting considering you bought the more powerful S model of the Boxster lineup.? It would seem that choice is rather incongruent with some of your opinions described here and elsewhere.

But, please do not think I am insulting you, I am not.? I am only trying to understand you better? :ohyeah:.

True, and I often think "maybe I should have gotten the standard model", but it's not that I dislike fast.  I just don't need it.  Also, it's a very involving car, despite being modern, and slightly heavy (it's light for its class, but its whole class is overweight), so I don't mind the extra speed.  Of course, a car like the Box S is very dangerous....for your license.

As a sports car, though, many of the criteria are different.  It's not a commuter car.  I've driven it to work twice, and I couldn't imagine doing it everyday.  It's not harsh or tough in jams or anything like that, I feel bad about just driving on the highway with cruise control on instead of tearing up backroads.  As enthusiasts, we tend to ask more out of the cars that we have to use everyday. 

If they sold the Fiat Panda 100HP (I think they're making an Abarth version!) or a Lupo GTI, I'd absolutely buy one to replace my Passat. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 04, 2007, 09:33:19 PM
I am not sure how it would handle better when they have the same suspension, though I guess the wider track might help. As far as looking better and being more exclusive, that is precisely my point (though, I find the car to be overdone while the E is just perfect).

The CLS is tuned slightly differently.? And it's prettier and has a better interior.  If I were buying in that class, I'd save up for a CLS.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ro51092

Man, I really like the E92. But now, I'll take an E87 coupe over it.