RDX V6, Murano o Venza

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 26, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on March 26, 2017, 02:23:54 PM
Why isn't the Outback on this list? IMO it's one of the perfect cars. Great road manners, great fuel economy (for what it is), with the lowest TCO of all the SUVs according to CR.

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 26, 2017, 03:17:37 PM
^Because it's slow

Not with the six-cylinder!

Raza

Since when are Volvos unreliable?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on March 27, 2017, 07:34:52 PM
Not with the six-cylinder!

Yeah, just get the Outback.  Or the Forester, which I think is just the same car, but boxier.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2017, 05:58:39 AM
Yeah, just get the Outback.  Or the Forester, which I think is just the same car, but boxier.

No the Outback is on a larger/more refined platform.  The interior on the Outback is now legitimately nice for a mainstream vehicle.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on March 28, 2017, 08:47:27 AM

Since always

Older Volvo's had a solid reliability reputation.  I'm talking the old, RWD ones like the 240, that would run forever.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2017, 10:00:14 AM
Older Volvo's had a solid reliability reputation.  I'm talking the old, RWD ones like the 240, that would run forever.

I assume that pretty much correlates to the pre-Ford Volvos?

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 29, 2017, 08:26:36 AM
I assume that pretty much correlates to the pre-Ford Volvos?

No.  There was a period before Ford ownership where they were average at best.  90s, basically.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2017, 05:56:56 AM
Since when are Volvos unreliable?

Hmm Consumer Reports doesn't seem to down on them.... but I just don't like modern Volvos anyway.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Can you get more Highlander for your money than the Acura? I always thought they were a huge step up from the Rav4 and CRV on exterior and interior style (although the Honda isn't terrible on the nicer trims). As much as I hate my friend's Rav4, it feels like a solid hunk of granite.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Highlander is way too big. Talking more with her it seems wifey wants something like the Rabbit but higher up and a little bigger. I think our first looks will be the Tuscon/Sportage.... then we will try the Murano... and see which extreme she is more fond of.

Tave

Also have the Tiguan, HR-V, Equinox, Encore, and Terrain in that range, didn't see them mentioned.

Edit: someone else said Equinox too; my buddy bought one for his wife last fall, I like it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

68_427

Equinox is not nearly as nice as the others.

Sporty put her on some deuce deuces

Rear facing seat will not be an issue for passengers at all.  The Venza is probably the Roomiest besides the Ford

Also I know this isn't the same as actually having a seat to try in each vehicle but cars.com grades vehicles on how well they accommodate car seats.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/06/2013-toyota-venza-car-seat-check/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-nissan-murano-car-seat-check-1420684492118/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-acura-rdx-car-seat-check-1420680932037/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-ford-edge-car-seat-check-1420690450625/

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 30, 2017, 05:40:45 PM
Highlander is way too big. Talking more with her it seems wifey wants something like the Rabbit but higher up and a little bigger. I think our first looks will be the Tuscon/Sportage.... then we will try the Murano... and see which extreme she is more fond of.

An Escape 2.0-liter could be another option as a compact crossover that's still more powerful than a RAV4/CR-V/Rogue.

12,000 RPM

Tiguan is too small and I'm a little weary on VW right now. Hrv and Encore are too small AND to slow. Equinox just looks cheap. Escape 2.0t is not as fast as specs or fuel consumption suggest... Tuscon 1.6t is as fast with 3-5 more MPGs, Sportage SX guzzles more but is a good clip faster. I think in that class the Tuscon is probably the pick of the litter. If we went Ford it would be the Edge

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 31, 2017, 07:15:19 AM
Tiguan is too small and I'm a little weary on VW right now. Hrv and Encore are too small AND to slow. Equinox just looks cheap. Escape 2.0t is not as fast as specs or fuel consumption suggest... Tuscon 1.6t is as fast with 3-5 more MPGs, Sportage SX guzzles more but is a good clip faster. I think in that class the Tuscon is probably the pick of the litter. If we went Ford it would be the Edge

The Encore does have the optional larger engine, but it's definitely small inside. The Escape 2.0 felt respectably quick to me (I had a front-wheel-drive one to test recently), but the Edge is definitely cushier. I wasn't a fan of the Tucson's ride quality or steering, but it's not bad overall, especially now that they've apparently fixed a bug in the transmission software.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I like the Venza too;I feel like wifey will feel it's too big

SJ_GTI

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 30, 2017, 04:46:42 PM
Hmm Consumer Reports doesn't seem to down on them.... but I just don't like modern Volvos anyway.

Hmm, I really like XC90s.  They were one of the first SUVs that started to turn me around on them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

What about a Discovery Sport?  FoMoJo seems to love his. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2017, 02:24:43 AM
Out of budget in warranty. Out of warranty Land Rover product = starting a land war in Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJCCoLoKRA&t=0s

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2017, 02:24:43 AM
So far, so good.  We've had it for 4 months and it's been a very good experience.

Money wise, it's fairly cheap.  We've leased it for 42 months at 464 $CAD rather than purchase which suits me because, other than being a bit leery of reliability, I wouldn't want to pay for any repairs.  Warranty is 4 years, so it should cover anything that goes wrong.  As well, it shouldn't need any major service within that period, tires, brakes, etc. with the usage we have.

As for construction, it's really just a made over Ford as it uses their CD platform, highly modified they claim, as well as the EcoBoost 2.0 I4 motor; likely with no modification other than logos.  The transmission is a ZF-9 that works nicely with the engine.  It also has more technical features than I care for.

Seems very solid, runs quiet, has a nice sound system.  Love the navigation system; though it's very much a nagivation system; tells me all about the current traffic situations.

What impressed me the most is mileage.  Gets amazingly good mileage for a fairly heavy vehicle if you are gentle with it.  Of course, it can be terrible if you push it really hard.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

I do really love the looks of the whole Land Rover lineup. Just can't stomach the risk. And even with free loaners and maintenance there's still the time cost.

2o6

Ya'll stay recommending shit that does not stay together

12,000 RPM

Raza needs to play the lotto with all the luck he's had.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 01, 2017, 10:07:39 AM
I do really love the looks of the whole Land Rover lineup. Just can't stomach the risk. And even with free loaners and maintenance there's still the time cost.
I suspect that you can negotiate a cheaper monthly lease rate down there if you bargain hard enough. 36 to 42 months is a fairly safe length; as long as you don't abuse it.

Lease rate first presented to us was well over $500 CAD per month.  After some serious bargaining, they dropped about $80 CAD.  This is on a well eguipped model. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on April 01, 2017, 10:08:15 AM
Ya'll stay recommending shit that does not stay together

According to people on this forum, the only reliable cars are a small percentage of Japanese snoozeboxes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

For something like a crossover for your wife who ammittedly doesn't care about driving dynamics, you should 100% be getting a Japanese snooze box.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV