Retro Roadster Raceoff

Started by the Teuton, July 12, 2007, 08:46:06 PM

Which one?

16 (53.3%)
11 (36.7%)
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 28

the Teuton

They shouldda been out on the market at the same time, but they weren't.  Still, which one would you bring to Woodward?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

I hate the looks of the Chevy. I can't fit in the Bird and I'm not 70 years old. So it would have to be the bath tub with wheels.

CJ

Prowler hands down.  I LOVE the Prowler.

JYODER240

I'd settle for the Prowler, although it really isn't my cup of tea either.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

giant_mtb

Prowler...just 'cause.  :huh: They're all ugly/crappy cars, IMO, so I just picked the one I thought might be least crappy.

ro51092

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 12, 2007, 10:36:51 PM
Prowler...just 'cause.  :huh: They're all ugly/crappy cars, IMO, so I just picked the one I thought might be least crappy.

Exactly.

93JC

Thunderbird, by a long shot. I love them, I think they look fantastic.

Raghavan

SSR. RWD + 6 speed manual + 390 hp. :rockon:

giant_mtb

Rich

Quote from: Raghavan on July 12, 2007, 10:47:06 PM
SSR. RWD + 6 speed manual + 390 hp. :rockon:

What he said...

I'm surprized the Mustang 'vert isn't on here....
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 12, 2007, 11:37:29 PM
What he said...

I'm surprized the Mustang 'vert isn't on here....

That would undoubtedly skew the results so much that the Mustang might as well have just had its own poll asking "which one would you want?".

the Teuton

...And all of these started right around 40 grand, too.  The Mustang has an unfair price advantage.  :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

heelntoe

i chose the SSR for reasons mentioned above, thunder bird is second though.
@heelntoe

the Teuton

While realistically I'd probably take a 986 over any of these three, I went with the Prowler, at least in the red color with the 253 hp engine.  The 218 hp version was gutless by comparison.  It also looks much cooler than the other two cars.

heelntoe

were the prowler and the t-bird on sale around the same time?
@heelntoe

the Teuton

Quote from: heelntoe on July 13, 2007, 01:03:51 AM
were the prowler and the t-bird on sale around the same time?

The Prowler began in 1997 and ended in 2002.  The T-Bird was 2002-05.  The SSR was 03-06.  They're all kinda close.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

giant_mtb

The SSR had that sweet gauge that told you how much horsepower you were getting while you drove.  :rockon:

TheIntrepid

Oh yeah? Well the Camry Hybrid has a sweet guage which tells you what kind of fuel mileage you're getting. :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

SSR. Though it's a truck, the Thunderbird doesn't actually handle any better, and the powertrain just kills it. Plus, you have the practicality of a massive trunk and retractable roof.

CMan

SSR.

Maybe it was heavy, but it still pulled off 0-60 in 5.3, and actually retained some utility. I could haul a little bit of music equipment in the back.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

Onslaught

Don't know how many of you have ever been in that last T.Bird but they are the most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. No leg room and absolutely no head room at all with the top up. I had to have a short guy at work pull them in for me because I couldn't drive the things. Perhaps Ford made them for all the hunched over old people seeing they are the only ones I've ever seen in one.

Raza

Well, the SSR is the only one here with a stickshift.  But it's a truck.  The Thunderbird makes me want to claw my eyes out every time I see one, so that's out.  The Prowler, gorgeous it may be, is begging for a third pedal to make it a real sports car. 

Had I one, I would search high and low and far and wide to get it its stickshift.  Prowler for me. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

I chose teh Prowler due to the customizing potential, especially when the bumpers are removed (and interestingly, they were designed to be removed...)

Mildly modded ones are running in the 12s in the quarter, while some like the one this engine is in are running low 11s. With the V6...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

CMan

Yeah, that's another thing. The Prowler looks like it should have the biggest V8 you can find, and you open the hood and there's a fucking V6?!??!
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

Raza

Quote from: CMan on July 13, 2007, 06:40:46 AM
Yeah, that's another thing. The Prowler looks like it should have the biggest V8 you can find, and you open the hood and there's a fucking V6?!??!

That doesn't matter.  It made good power (though unimpressive for an engine that size), but it was mated to a lazy 4 speed auto. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Like most of the street rods it was patterned after, which used low power crate 350s and 4 speed automatics.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 13, 2007, 07:32:43 AM
Like most of the street rods it was patterned after, which used low power crate 350s and 4 speed automatics.

Just because it has old looks doesn't mean it needs old technology. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 13, 2007, 07:37:07 AM
Just because it has old looks doesn't mean it needs old technology. 

That's just it, it used modern computer controlled engine management tech to make it as quick as those older 350 powered street rods, along with factory engineered suspension that worked vastly better than any street rod would, plus a warranty, and easy customizeability. Tom Gale is an avid street rodder, with an award wining custom '33 Ford street rod of his own, so it's no surprise that the Prowler took a lot from his own personal car.