New engine into the SVT Contour - questions

Started by SVT_Power, July 22, 2007, 08:21:05 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2007, 08:10:21 PM
1... a number typed here to remind you of how many first cars you get

Very good point.  Nick, not to sound too sappy, but do you miss your first car, and what was it?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 31, 2007, 08:09:27 PM
Do they realize that you are going to take a bath selling it??

Rebuilding the engine may not be a pretty repair bill, but its your best solution to get your moneys worth out of the car.

I'm gonna be taking losses whichever way I go. I'm roughly looking at losing 2 grand either way so might as well as just get rid of it now rather than later.

It's probably true that I should drive the car after getting the engine fixed to get the most out of my money (and with a fresh engine i dont think there'll be anything that big that comes up for a while - but the body does have 175k kms on it). If JWC is right about contours just seeming to fall apart past 110k miles, I might be in for a few more surprises - which I really don't want to and can't deal with.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2007, 08:12:52 PM
Very good point.? Nick, not to sound too sappy, but do you miss your first car, and what was it?

A god damn slow ass piece of shit that I didn't want but was glad to get anyway Suzuki Samurai. At least it was a manual, and had 4wd so I could go play in the snow, and was a soft top and therefore was somewhat fun in the summer. Nevertheless, what I really wanted was a car. At the time, that car was a 1990 Tercel hatchback for $1200, but my dad said no and made me get the Samurai for $1800. Go figure.

I don't really miss having it as an only car, although I did buy another one years later, just for go play with off road. I do think they are some of the best off road vehicles ever made.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

idiot...the word you use to describe someone who listened to their heart instead of head and got screwed over
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 31, 2007, 08:20:53 PM
idiot...the word you use to describe someone who listened to their heart instead of head and got screwed over

idiot... the word you also use for people who make decisions with their cars based purely on financial reasons. Cars are never sound financial investments, and therefore should treated as such.  That's why I am SRT-4-less right now. In retrospect, I could have gotten by without selling it, and I'd have it nearly paid off by now. Can you imagine me with a SRT-4 inste4d of a 'st33m!? Hells yes you can!

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on July 31, 2007, 08:20:03 PM
If JWC is right about contours just seeming to fall apart past 110k miles, I might be in for a few more surprises - which I really don't want to and can't deal with.

Here's what doesn't work on the car:
-headlights suck (fogged over)
-rear driver's side lock sometimes malfunctions when it feels like it
-fogs need replaced
-AC doesn't work (disconnected completely)
-muffler broken

Here's what works:
-power sunroof
-mirrors
-door locks
windows
-just about everything else

Is it this rare for a high mileage first year car to work so well?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2007, 08:26:50 PM

Here's what doesn't work on the car:
-headlights suck (fogged over)
-rear driver's side lock sometimes malfunctions when it feels like it
-fogs need replaced
-AC doesn't work (disconnected completely)
-muffler broken

Here's what works:
-power sunroof
-mirrors
-door locks
windows
-just about everything else

Is it this rare for a high mileage first year car to work so well?

so basically the only thing that's gone wrong with your contour is the A/C? That's pretty impressive imo

btw, my headlights were like that too but I bought a $10 bottle of plastic cleaner/polish and it got rid of alot of it

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2007, 08:23:37 PM
idiot... the word you also use for people who make decisions with their cars based purely on financial reasons. Cars are never sound financial investments, and therefore should treated as such.  That's why I am SRT-4-less right now. In retrospect, I could have gotten by without selling it, and I'd have it nearly paid off by now. Can you imagine me with a SRT-4 inste4d of a 'st33m!? Hells yes you can!

sigh. Well I'll float the rebuild and keep idea with my parents.

It'll sound something like this: "Since other SVTC's with more kms are selling at about 7k from dealerships, why don't we just say we bought it for that price. But we actually only paid $4600 for it, we should have been out another $2400. So why don't we just get the engine rebuild and let me keep the car"

I'll probably get this look from my parents :  :confused: and they'll say "wtf?"

the Teuton

I just don't see the car being unreliable enough that it will break again after you get the engine fixed.  The car has proven to be very reliable.

Raghavan

What he said.^
:rockon:

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2007, 08:33:58 PM
I just don't see the car being unreliable enough that it will break again after you get the engine fixed.  The car has proven to be very reliable.

well the only major thing I'd worry about other than the engine is the A/C - which i never even used while I had it. I just had the sunroof and windows down.

After the engine is rebuilt, the only thing I have to watch out for I think is the notorious oil starvation while taking hard right turns

SVT_Power

well i just suggested it to my mom and she cut me off middle of the idea and said no

the Teuton

The engine will be brand new and under warranty.  This is a little ridiculous.  It's one thing if you don't have the means to do so, and that's completely respectable, but it's another to sell a piece of junk because of a blind notion that the same things will happen again.

SVT_Power

my mom said she just doesn't want to deal with anything that could go wrong after. Then i said if she gives me the explorer, anything could go wrong with that too but she said that's a different story :rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 31, 2007, 10:18:58 PM
my mom said she just doesn't want to deal with anything that could go wrong after. Then i said if she gives me the explorer, anything could go wrong with that too but she said that's a different story :rolleyes:

But it's not a different story. It's an Exploder, and it could tip over very easily. Not very safe for a new driver, or anyone for that matter.  :nono:

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2007, 10:20:30 PM
But it's not a different story. It's an Exploder, and it could tip over very easily. Not very safe for a new driver, or anyone for that matter.  :nono:

i haven't died in it...yet

the Teuton

You have any sets of Firestone Wildness or ATX tires circa 1998 laying around?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2007, 10:23:40 PM
You have any sets of Firestone Wildness or ATX tires circa 1998 laying around?

That's Firestone Wilderness AT in the 235/75/15 size. I should know, I worked at a tire place during the recall.  :praise:

the Teuton

Back on topic:  Used cars have problems.  It happens.  I don't see why she's being this discouraging.  I just don't think you're trying hard enough, Eddie.

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2007, 10:28:50 PM
Back on topic:  Used cars have problems.  It happens.  I don't see why she's being this discouraging.  I just don't think you're trying hard enough, Eddie.

See, it seems my mom can't take that anymore. She was very much against used cars to begin with (we picked up our explorer very slightly used at a good deal, but my mom nearly just said no but my dad bought it anyway :lol: ) but she let me buy the contour anyway. She nearly bought a Sonata just so that I wouldn't buy an used car. And now that the car needs a rather expensive repair job, my mom refuses to trust used cars.

the Teuton

We haven't had a new car since 1996 and it was a POS, sort of.  Used can be as good as new if you know how and where to shop.

SVT_Power

yeah me and my dad know that. But my dad's against me on this one as well. And the fact that he's only around for a few weeks during the yr means my mom gets to decide where the money goes

Eye of the Tiger

I've had many a used car, and none of them were $4600 either. The worst thing I ever needed was a $600 transmission rebuild. It was just very very bad luck, Ed, and it's not likely to happen again.

SVT_Power

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on July 31, 2007, 10:40:16 PM
:cry:

Eddie, I know how you feel.  I felt the same way for 5 months.  My car was worth just enough to justify replacing a relatively cheap engine, though.

SVT_Power

Eye of the Tiger

If it makes u feel better, I'd rebuild the 'st33m engine if it asploded.  :huh:

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2007, 10:44:03 PM
If it makes u feel better, I'd rebuild the 'st33m engine if it asploded.  :huh:

is it worth a rebuilt engine?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2007, 10:44:03 PM
If it makes u feel better, I'd rebuild the 'st33m engine if it asploded.? :huh:

Then again, hamster wheels are cheap and plentiful...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator