2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed

Started by 1 BAD 7, July 31, 2007, 11:37:20 PM

1 BAD 7

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/13557/2008-bentley-continental-gt-speed-speed-heritage-page2.html

The new engine has received 50hp upgrade now the car has broken the 600hp mark and 0-60mph according to factory claims is 4.3 sec. which is always a bit conservative :rockon:.

I like the new wheels and the cars interior fit and finish as well as quality looks great in those pics the interior looks like an expensive jewel. I am really liking this car.? :ohyeah:

It comes with bigger 20" wheel and more aggressive lower profile tires. I guess the moron engineer's of Bentley ruined it by going with lower profile and bigger wheels. Obviously they didnot get the memo that taller profile tires and smaller 16" wheels would have worked wonders for performance :lol:

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 31, 2007, 11:37:20 PM
It comes with bigger 20" wheel and more aggressive lower profile tires. I guess the moron engineer's of Bentley ruined it by going with lower profile and bigger wheels. Obviously they didnot get the memo that taller profile tires and smaller 16" wheels would have worked wonders for performance

+1.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 31, 2007, 11:37:20 PM
It comes with bigger 20" wheel and more aggressive lower profile tires. I guess the moron engineer's of Bentley ruined it by going with lower profile and bigger wheels. Obviously they didnot get the memo that taller profile tires and smaller 16" wheels would have worked wonders for performance :lol:

This car doesn't help your argument.

That Bentley is the definition of Bling.

It's probably being filmed in the next LudaChris music video as we speak.

1 BAD 7

I think that bentley would be the definition of how to enhance performance as soon as you would slap some taller profile 195/65 tires on smaller 16" wheels. Why the engineers didnot do that just shows that they dont know what they are doing. It just ruins the appeal of this car for any number of enthusiasts like yourself and the one above you  :praise:

Quote from: 565 on July 31, 2007, 11:41:58 PM
This car doesn't help your argument.

That Bentley is the definition of Bling.

It's probably being filmed in the next LudaChris music video as we speak.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

omicron

1 BAD 7

www.KayaniTravel.com

heelntoe

you accelerate and then you BENTLY before you hit something!!!!!! :lol:
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

*drools* I love it.

Of course I'm aware that the likes of Yoder and Raza are going to come in and call it an overweight pig.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

When was the last time Bentley made a car that wasn't an overweight pig?

I really don't understand CarSpin's irrational hatred of the Conti GT. It's recieved nothing but universal praise from the automotive press, looks fantastic, and helps Bentley out a lot. From all acounts it's a superb effort.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ChrisV

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 09:09:19 AM
I really don't understand CarSpin's irrational hatred of the Conti GT. It's recieved nothing but universal praise from the automotive press, looks fantastic, and helps Bentley out a lot. From all acounts it's a superb effort.

Some people just don't get the concept of a gentleman's cruiser.

I like it a lot.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JYODER240

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 09:09:19 AM
When was the last time Bentley made a car that wasn't an overweight pig?

Because like the Veyron it's just bought for status and bragging rights. No one buys either because they want a fun involving drive. There are much better alternatives for that. These are bought for their image.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

All the power in the world won't make this a good car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 01, 2007, 03:17:53 AM
*drools* I love it.

Of course I'm aware that the likes of Yoder and Raza are going to come in and call it an overweight pig.

Add me to that list.

Raza

It's not an overweight pig.

It's an overweight, ugly, trendy, shit eating pig. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2007, 09:38:53 AM

It's an overweight, ugly, trendy, shit eating pig. 

Don't hold back on our account. :lol:

I heartily disagree with your stance, however, and I wouldn't kick one out of the driveway. I'd drive the snot out of it. I absolutely love the Bentley Conti GT and have since it first came out.

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 09:14:28 AM
Because like the Veyron every other Bentley it's just bought for status and bragging rights.

Fixed.

QuoteNo one buys either because they want a fun involving drive.

Is that a crime?

And how is that a criticism of the car?

And I guarantee you, the Conti is about a billion times more fun to drive than my ride.

QuoteThere are much better alternatives for that.

Such as? (and why are they better?)

QuoteThese are bought for their image.

Are you psychic or something? Have you spent your freetime polling buyers? Do tell.

But again, even if it's true, how is it an indictment against the car?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10435.msg526379#msg526379 date=1185982733

It's an overweight, ugly, trendy, shit eating pig.?

Hmmm. You're the first person I've heard call it ugly.

JYODER240

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 10:12:55 AM
Fixed.

Is that a crime?

And how is that a criticism of the car?

And I guarantee you, the Conti is about a billion times more fun to drive than my ride.

Are you psychic or something? Have you spent your freetime polling buyers? Do tell.

But again, even if it's true, how is it an indictment against the car?

If someone wants to buy one for the status and image then they can go ahead because they aren't buying it because they want a fun and involving car. There are much better choices for that. The Ford GT, F430, DB9, Gallardo, 911 Turbo, etc. are all better choices. The car is built for people who want the image of owning such a car it's not built for the driver.

Comparing a Conti GT to an Aveo is absurd. Of course its going to be more fun to drive. For 150k it should be, but at that price there are much better choices.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

I like it, but I have always liked it since its inception.  I like the Arnage and old-style Bentleys more, though.

C/D ripped the Arnage a new one in the latest mag, though.  Still, I'd take one over a Phantom or Maybach.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on August 01, 2007, 09:58:11 AM
Don't hold back on our account. :lol:

I heartily disagree with your stance, however, and I wouldn't kick one out of the driveway. I'd drive the snot out of it. I absolutely love the Bentley Conti GT and have since it first came out.

I mean, there's got to be a little bit of personal preference here and there, but I can't stand it.  I'd rather have so many things on the market for a similar price. 

Hell, give me an old world Bentley, like an Arnage or Azure.  The Conti GT just feels so...

Normal.

You have to look for one to see it in traffic, and they're such a cop out answer to "what unjustifiably expensive car should I buy?".  No presence on the road, either. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 10:13:52 AM
Hmmm. You're the first person I've heard call it ugly.

Apparently I don't speak loud enough.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 11:23:31 AM
If someone wants to buy one for the status and image then they can go ahead because they aren't buying it because they want a fun and involving car. There are much better choices for that. The Ford GT, F430, DB9, Gallardo, 911 Turbo, etc. are all better choices. The car is built for people who want the image of owning such a car it's not built for the driver.

Comparing a Conti GT to an Aveo is absurd. Of course its going to be more fun to drive. For 150k it should be, but at that price there are much better choices.

Some of you guys can come off sounding like real assholes sometimes.

So according to you, the only reasons anyone would buy a car is because

A: status and image

or

B: fun and involvement

Nice of you to pigeon-hole

When did "fun" become synonymous with "driving like it's trackday" on this place?

Quote from: ChrisV on August 01, 2007, 09:14:26 AM
Some people just don't get the concept of a gentleman's cruiser.

I like it a lot.

You're right. The idea is completely alien to them.

Raza

There are better gentleman's cruisers out there.  They're just not badged as Bentleys. 

Also, and I know Chris disagrees with me, but I think big coupes are just a little bit ridiculous anyway.  Not that I think the Flying Spur is any better than the GT, even if Top Gear says it is.  I mean, it might be.  But I don't know. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10435.msg526496#msg526496 date=1185990347
There are better gentleman's cruisers out there.? They're just not badged as Bentleys.? 

Is there an echo in here?

Eye of the Tiger

The only fun one could possibly have in this car is by:

1. Marveling in the ludicrous amount of luxury that surrounds you as wave at all the people
2. Run straight pipes, and listen to the sounds of the twin-turbo V12 accelerating a 3-ton boat from 0-60 in 4 seconds

And choice #1 wouldn't be much fun for me, personally, but there are people who get off on that kind of stuff.

Other than that, where is the fun? It's a freaking land yacht. Yachts are only fun on water, and only if ur t00bin across the wake of one, not if ur driving one.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 11:47:56 AM

Is there an echo in here?

What I'm thinking is that a car like the CL would be a better cruiser, and if you want to go ridiculously fast, get the 65 and you'll still save money. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2007, 11:56:31 AM
What I'm thinking is that a car like the CL would be a better cruiser, and if you want to go ridiculously fast, get the 65 and you'll still save money. 

If you're in the market for a car like this, saving money isn't a top priority anyhow.

And yeah, I love big coupes, be they British luxury yachts or '50s American cruisers. I love the style most of them have. the looks speak to me. In the case of the Bentley I love the look, the feel the smell, the detailing, etc. I realize they aren't the most practical thing out there, but few of my favorite things (especially when it comes to cars) are practical.

As far as what's better, that's rather personal, and what YOU think is better might make me angry to live with. Of course any car on yoder's list is a great car and a great choice. But you can't  (usually) have all of them, so you have to make a compromise and might give up on one that someone else thinks it "better." Will always be that way. if I wanted a GT40, then a Bentley or DB9 might be "better" because they are more practical and carry more, or are better at being street cars. If you get the DB9 or Bentley, then the GT40 is a better PERFORMANCE car, even if you can't USE that performance 99% of the time. I mean, Tave's Aveo could be considered better than ALL of our favorites given the right criteria (cost and economy). you could put a logical, intelligent argument forward on why a $100 '88 Festiva is better than a Boxter or new 350Z. Would you or Yoder trade your cars in on one?

ChrisV

Quote from: NACar on August 01, 2007, 11:53:20 AM
The only fun one could possibly have in this car is by:

1. Marveling in the ludicrous amount of luxury that surrounds you as wave at all the people
2. Run straight pipes, and listen to the sounds of the twin-turbo V12 accelerating a 3-ton boat from 0-60 in 4 seconds

And choice #1 wouldn't be much fun for me, personally, but there are people who get off on that kind of stuff.

Other than that, where is the fun? It's a freaking land yacht. Yachts are only fun on water, and only if ur t00bin across the wake of one, not if ur driving one.

Then you wouldn't have any "fun" driving my BMW. But *I* do. So don't be argumentative

about it because you cannot understand what the appeal might be for someone ELSE.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on August 01, 2007, 12:17:29 PM
Then you wouldn't have any "fun" driving my BMW. But *I* do. So don't be argumentative

about it because you cannot understand what the appeal might be for someone ELSE.

Are you related to Kayani by any chance? Read it again you incoherent buffoon. I said there are people who get off on that kind of stuff, but I'm not one of them.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10435.msg526486#msg526486 date=1185989786
Hell, give me an old world Bentley, like an Arnage or Azure.?

Hmmm, vehicles with few, if any, objective advantages over the one in question. Interesting....

Quote from: Raza on August 01, 2007, 11:56:31 AM

That still doesn't answer the "why" in my question, as I refuse to take cost into consideration when comparing two cars so expensive to begin with.

And BTW, MSRP on the CL 65 is $179,600

Conti GT is $169,990