Nissan GT-R Engine Code: Not VQ

Started by ArchBishop, August 12, 2007, 11:54:06 AM

ArchBishop

Nissan GT-R Engine Code: Not VQ

Holiday Auto gives us a little more information on the upcoming GT-R?s engine code, power output characteristics, FM platform and improved head light technology.

Over the last few years, there has been so much speculation surrounding just exactly what type of engine will power the upcoming Nissan GT-R. Although Japanese Automotive magazine Holiday Auto doesn?t actually confirm that the capacity of the new engine will be 3.8L, they do explain to some extent why the new power plant won?t be a part of the VQ family of engines currently used in the V-series Skyline sedan and coupe models. Also discussed is the FM platform and how it influences the GT-R?s advertising catch-phrase and just why the new GT-R?s headlights are a step ahead of the rest.

Engine Code: VR38

Peak Power: 480ps/6,800rpm

Peak Torque: 58.0kgm/1,700 - 5,600rpm

Details: The engine powering the new GT-R will be extremely lightweight compared to engines of similar capacity and complexity. Titanium intake valves and magnesium alloy exhaust valves will be used as well as a version of the new VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) technology as used in the V36 Skyline Coupe. Red line is from 7,600rpm, with a 7,800rpm rev limit. Even after peak power has been achieved at 6,800rpm, 90% of maximum power will still be available from 6,800 - 7,500rpm with the power curve staying virtually flat from 6,800rpm to red line. The secret to the GT-R?s speed is in it?s ability to obtain peak torque at such low revs, as well as a very usable spread of power right across the rev range. There is even mention of the engine being designed for a maximum power output of 600ps, but being detuned to 480ps for production.

The engine powering the 2008 GT-R is not part of the VQ family? Holiday Auto have reportedly been told that the engine appearing in the new GT-R has a ?VR? designation, leading them to believe that it has a strong connection to the VRH35L from the Nissan R390 that contested the Le Mans 24 Hour endurance race! We?ll have more on this soon.

Wide Angle HID:

In a world first, Nissan have developed new wide angle HID head lights for the GT-R, throwing light out to the sides of the car much more effectively than current HID head lights. The new HIDs reportedly allow up to 60m visibility ahead of the vehicle which will coincide with other advanced safety features to help the driver to avoid collisions.

?Premium Midship? Platform:

Nissan have a catch phrase for the platform of the new GT-R, they call it ?Premium Midship?. Weight has been concentrated between the front and rear wheels to make it the ultimate handling package, it being the latest and greatest incarnation of Nissan?s FM platform.

Details concerning turbo boost levels (1.5kgf/cm2), lightweight engine parts (magnesium cam covers, timing chain case and oil pan, aluminium intake manifold), high response turbochargers and carbon bonnet were also mentioned briefly. There are only a few more pieces of the GT-R jigsaw puzzle to go now?

ArchBishop

omicron

350kW and 568Nm in a roadgoing Nissan? How delightful.

FlatBlackCaddy

So thats about 470HP and 430LbFt for us in the states here.

Doesn't sound to bad, if they can get the weight between 3200 and 3400lbs it should be plenty fast.

With such a broad torque curve and i believe a 7speed DSG this thing will move very well.

So there we have it, a new engine and a new platform as well.  Still I bet people are going to have post along the lines of "well the G37 weighs 3700 lbs so if the GTR adds turbos and AWD it might weigh 4000 pounds."

7600rpm redline with max torque coming at 1700-5600 rpms is incredible. 

It's a broader range than the 911's turbo's 1,950 - 5,000 rpm spread, and redline comes 1000RPMs later than the 911 turbo's 6600rpm redline.

This engine is going to be a blast.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

S204STi

Random trivia, PS is short for Pferdest?rke which is German for, "Horse strength," but is measured slightly differently.?

It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) in Braunschweig as exactly:

1 PS = 75 kp?m/s = 0.73549875 kW = 0.9863201652997627 hp (SAE)

The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut f?r Normung (DIN) and then by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe.

PS is a form of Metric horsepower, as opposed to mechanical horsepower:

"The term "horsepower" was created by the engineer James Watt in 1782. Watt (1736 to 1819) is most famous for his work on improving the performance of steam engines.

Watt was working with ponies lifting coal at a coal mine, and he wanted to define the power available from one of these animals. He found that, on average, a mine pony could do 22,000 foot-pounds (lift a bucket of coal weighing 22,000 lb. a distance of 1-foot) of work in a minute. He then increased that number by 50 percent and fixed the measurement of horsepower at 33,000-foot-pounds of work in one minute.

Under this system, one horsepower is defined as:

1 hp = 33,000 ft?pound-force?min−1 = exactly 745.69987158227022 W "

Source:Wikipedia.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on August 12, 2007, 04:11:46 PM
So there we have it, a new engine and a new platform as well.  Still I bet people are going to have post along the lines of "well the G37 weighs 3700 lbs so if the GTR adds turbos and AWD it might weigh 4000 pounds."

It is though...

Still, a pretty cool machine. I can't wait to see how it will fare against the likes of the M3, 911 Turbo, etc.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 12, 2007, 06:01:47 PM
It is though...

Still, a pretty cool machine. I can't wait to see how it will fare against the likes of the M3, 911 Turbo, etc.

Is what though?

SVT_Power

well the G37 weighs 3700 lbs so if the GTR adds turbos and AWD it might weigh 4000 pounds
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

Quote from: M_power on August 12, 2007, 06:48:06 PM
well the G37 weighs 3700 lbs so if the GTR adds turbos and AWD it might weigh 4000 pounds

+1
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

S204STi

That's assuming a lot of things, such as common materials usage.

MX793

Quote from: M_power on August 12, 2007, 06:48:06 PM

The GT-R is now a seperate model.  It's no longer a Hi-Po Skyline with AWD and turbos added, it's on its own platform.  Being on a platform that isn't meant to underpin larger cars as the FM does means they can better optimize the weight.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT_Power

Quote from: MX793 on August 12, 2007, 07:33:21 PM
The GT-R is now a seperate model.  It's no longer a Hi-Po Skyline with AWD and turbos added, it's on its own platform.  Being on a platform that isn't meant to underpin larger cars as the FM does means they can better optimize the weight.

I just said that because of this:

7600rpm redline with max torque coming at 1700-5600 rpms is incredible. 

It's a broader range than the 911's turbo's 1,950 - 5,000 rpm spread, and redline comes 1000RPMs later than the 911 turbo's 6600rpm redline.

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FlatBlackCaddy

So there we have it, a new engine and a new platform as well.? Still I bet people are going to have post along the lines of "well the G37 weighs 3700 lbs so if the GTR adds turbos and AWD it might weigh 4000 pounds."

7600rpm redline with max torque coming at 1700-5600 rpms is incredible.?

Well we won't know the final details for awhile, so anything could happen.

I however share your thoughts, this thing will not be a heavier G with some shit slapped on it.

Nissan has come back from hard times a few years ago, they have stability and they have money. They are recreating a legend, this car is the most important redesign to them, it represents everything to them. This will be much more than a parts bin car, and certainly not a modified skyline.

The GT-R was one of(if not the) best cars to come out of japan, and thats when it was a performance trim level of a mass market sedan.

This New GTR is all GTR from the ground up, i'm sure it will employ light weight materials everywhere it can and every component will be built from the get go with perfomance in mind.

I personally can't wait, and wish i had the money to buy one(hmm, if i sell the Z and the mitsu i could have 20K down.....).

I notice you post alot of news about the GTR 565, and seem to be awaiting its arrival.

So are you in line for one to replace the Vette?

the_koof

"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Fire It Up

I want this car can the laws of physics.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

I see how the english grammar has changed

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 12, 2007, 08:23:21 PM
I notice you post alot of news about the GTR 565, and seem to be awaiting its arrival.

So are you in line for one to replace the Vette?

I'm totally excited about this car, more than any upcoming car on the market, but I'm not in line for the GTR's just yet.? I'll wait till they work out the bugs, wait till the just released lunacy dies down and see how it compares to the competition.?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on August 12, 2007, 06:05:18 PM
Is what though?
I meant to say 'it will be though'... as in it will be well above the weight of the G37

They moved away from the iron block and got all these space age materials... and yet it will still probably outweigh a Q45. W/e, I still can't wait to read the first tests on this car. Lotta pressure on Nissan this go round.

SJ_GTI

So this version of the GTR will have a dedicated engine, a dedicated transmission, and a dedicated platform?

I'm surprised they will be able to keep it as affordable as they had previously.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 13, 2007, 07:41:08 AM
So this version of the GTR will have a dedicated engine, a dedicated transmission, and a dedicated platform?

I'm surprised they will be able to keep it as affordable as they had previously.

It's an offshoot of the FM platform.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 13, 2007, 06:41:34 AM
I meant to say 'it will be though'... as in it will be well above the weight of the G37

They moved away from the iron block and got all these space age materials... and yet it will still probably outweigh a Q45. W/e, I still can't wait to read the first tests on this car. Lotta pressure on Nissan this go round.

I don't know why you are saying this, you sound so certain of yourself.

I personally think it will be lighter than the G37, or at most the same weight.

Didn't Q45's ring in at 3800 to 4000 lbs???

The GTR will NOT be that high.

This reminds me of how everyone thinks the Old TT Z's were like 4000lbs, its so far off its not even funny.

FYI, I weighed my Z32 the other day and with full fluids minus the driver it was almost 3500 on the dot.

I'm sure the GTR will have aluminum for just about every panel, if not carbon for the roof/trunk/hood. Lightweight suspension bits, forged lightweight wheels etc etc.

Raza

I'm impressed.  I just wish it weren't so damn ugly. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 13, 2007, 07:41:08 AM

The EVO is affordable for the performance it offers.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 13, 2007, 09:44:22 AM
The EVO is affordable for the performance it offers.

Yeah, but the Evo is also based on a car that costs half as much. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.