Started by MaxPower, August 13, 2007, 06:08:43 AM

MaxPower

Let me preface this by saying that no, I don't need legal advice!   :lol:

That said, do we have any lawyers here on CarSPIN?  :evildude: 

J86

MaxPower

Quote from: J86 on August 13, 2007, 06:30:34 AM
gimme a few years...

yeah, me too...i begin law school in a few weeks!  you're still an undergrad, right?

TheIntrepid

I'm entering my first year of a pre-Law program. 8 years from now I should be a full-fledged lawyer.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

J86

Quote from: MaxPower on August 13, 2007, 07:04:05 AM
yeah, me too...i begin law school in a few weeks!  you're still an undergrad, right?

I am indeed.  What type of law are you pursuing, and where are ya headed?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: J86 on August 13, 2007, 08:55:09 AM
I am indeed.  What type of law are you pursuing, and where are ya headed?

Josh, what undergrad program are you in? I'm taking "Law, Crime, and Deviance" and hoping to become a criminal prosecutor ultimately.

J86

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 13, 2007, 09:16:18 AM
Josh, what undergrad program are you in? I'm taking "Law, Crime, and Deviance" and hoping to become a criminal prosecutor ultimately.

Public Policy major (think political science....)

I can hear the groans from all the engineers on the board already!

TheIntrepid

How do you like it? I am taking a poli sci course this year.

J86

Well, if I didn't like it I would have chosen another major...(I only declared this past spring; that's what's nice about a liberal arts college.  They let you get halfway through before making a decision!)

850CSi

nickdrinkwater

Trep, you're gonna have to start being a better liar in 8 years time!

:evildude:

Sorry, but it had to be said.

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 13, 2007, 12:11:06 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 13, 2007, 12:11:06 PM

Bitch. :evildude:

:mask:

Tave

Bah! You fools need to switch your major to English. And take an internship at a county seat or land-use firm. I've been pulling Warranty and Quit Claim deeds all afternoon and can write legal descriptions for tracts or easements with my eyes closed. There's really no reason I shouldn't shoot for a law degree, other than the fact I want to graduate school before I'm thirty...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 01:30:21 PM
Bah! You fools need to switch your major to English. And take an internship at a county seat or land-use firm. I've been pulling Warranty and Quit Claim deeds all afternoon and can write legal descriptions for tracts or easements with my eyes closed. There's really no reason I shouldn't shoot for a law degree, other than the fact I want to graduate school before I'm thirty...

I would have done well with an English major, except I can't write an essay very well. Just ask Omicron, he's edited my essays before. :lol:

Tave

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 13, 2007, 01:33:19 PM
I would have done well with an English major, except I can't write an essay very well. Just ask Omicron, he's edited my essays before. :lol:

What's with the past-tense subjunctive? You haven't even started school yet.

Are you a Canadian born Canuck? My cousin is a German immigrant and he had to get help for the essays in his Master's program. His sister, who was younger when they emmigrated, didn't have the same problems.

But you may as well learn now, because you're going to have to write a shitload in law school, and the expectations aren't going to lessen.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

J86

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 01:30:21 PM

Almost did English, but I figure I'll just keep taking a few scattered classes here and there... too many English classes suck  the joy out of reading for me!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 01:37:38 PM
What's with the past-tense subjunctive? You haven't even started school yet.

Are you a Canadian born Canuck? My cousin is a German immigrant and he had to get help for the essays in his Master's program. His sister, who was younger when they emmigrated, didn't have the same problems.

But you may as well learn now, because you're going to have to write a shitload in law school, and the expectations aren't going to lessen.

He edited my essays in the last school year.

No I'm not a Canadian-born Canuck. I immigrated from India when I was 3, in 1992. All my schooling was done here.

Tave

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 13, 2007, 01:50:06 PM
He edited my essays in the last school year.

No I'm not a Canadian-born Canuck. I immigrated from India when I was 3, in 1992. All my schooling was done here.

Well you speak well on this board. If I were you, I'd focus on independent and dependent clauses, coordinating conjunctions, and conjunctive adverbs. That'll take care of 90% of editing right there. The rest is typos/style/diction.

And don't forget subject-verb agreement!

Someone once told me the best way to edit a paper is to take it sentence by sentence, backwards. That way you won't get so caught up in the content that you miss the structure. When you remove yourself from what's being said, you're in a better position to know if it's said correctly.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 01:57:48 PM
Well you speak well on this board. If I were you, I'd focus on independent and dependent clauses, coordinating conjunctions, and conjunctive adverbs. That'll take care of 90% of editing right there. The rest is typos/style/diction.

Thanks for the compliment. My problems aren't technical when it comes to writing essays. I am able to use strong vocabulary and have very few (if any) spelling and grammatical errors. My problem is the essay structure in general. As expected at this age, I'm able to flawlessly write a 5-paragraph (Intro + 3 body + Conclusion) paragraph but end up taking rubbish when the time comes to do transition paragraphs and the like. I'll see if I can find one of my essays and I'll show you.

Check your PM box. :ohyeah:

93JC

Damn immigants needs to learns to speaks the language!  :rage:

Colonel Cadillac

I'm staying away from law, but both my parents are lawyers!

Catman

I've seen a lot of lawyers here. :mask:

saxonyron

Quote from: J86 on August 13, 2007, 09:25:41 AM
Public Policy major (think political science....)

I can hear the groans from all the engineers on the board already!

:evildude:  Poli-Sci major = Party major.  Hey, at least you'll enjoy yourself more than I did in school, and then you can suffer a few years in law school.  Not a bad way to go, really.  I used to think if you weren''t in engineering or science, you were a faux-student. Believe me, that's all changed.  Friends of mine who stayed in engineering are doing "OK", but will never excel because they're in the corporate inside the box thinking.  Most of my clients with the $1 million and up houses are lawyers and finance guys.  Steenking bastages never had to do a differential equation in their lives.   :banghead:  I've told my kids to just pick any major that gets their blood pumping and do it well.  The success will follow.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

TBR

Ron, where were you in Benzboy's thread in GT? That is exactly what all of this big headed engineers/engineering students need to hear :devil:

J86

Quote from: saxonyron on August 13, 2007, 08:27:18 PM
:? Most of my clients with the $1 million and up houses are lawyers and finance guys.? Steenking bastages never had to do a differential equation in their lives.? ?

Exactly!

heelntoe

Quote from: saxonyron on August 13, 2007, 08:27:18 PM
:evildude:  Poli-Sci major = Party major.  Hey, at least you'll enjoy yourself more than I did in school, and then you can suffer a few years in law school.  Not a bad way to go, really.  I used to think if you weren''t in engineering or science, you were a faux-student. Believe me, that's all changed.  Friends of mine who stayed in engineering are doing "OK", but will never excel because they're in the corporate inside the box thinking.  Most of my clients with the $1 million and up houses are lawyers and finance guys.  Steenking bastages never had to do a differential equation in their lives.   :banghead:  I've told my kids to just pick any major that gets their blood pumping and do it well.  The success will follow.

i actually wanted to become an engineer. :huh:
but now i'm starting pharmacy.
@heelntoe

dazzleman

Quote from: MaxPower on August 13, 2007, 06:08:43 AM
Let me preface this by saying that no, I don't need legal advice!? ?:lol:

That said, do we have any lawyers here on CarSPIN?? :evildude:?

Jeff, I have to admit, when I saw the title of this thread, I assumed we had another winner of my 'next to get a ticket' thread.... :lol:

Good luck with law school.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MaxPower

Quote from: dazzleman on August 14, 2007, 06:00:42 AM
Jeff, I have to admit, when I saw the title of this thread, I assumed we had another winner of my 'next to get a ticket' thread.... :lol:

Ha!  Yeah, well, ya see, I'm going to law school so that I can fight traffic tickets on behalf of 'spinners around the world.  That's it, my one and only motivation!   :P 

In all seriousness though, I think the LEO input on ticket questions is great and I think having an attorney's input would be equally helpful.  So, after I complete the requisite coursework, I'll bring my 2 cents back to carspin.

MaxPower

Quote from: J86 on August 13, 2007, 08:55:09 AM
What type of law are you pursuing, and where are ya headed?

Without being too vague or specific, I'm headed to an ABA-approved New England school with a great local reputation.  As far as my pursuits, I'm totally open minded--I'll see what courses interest me the most.

Quote from: saxonyronSteenking bastages never had to do a differential equation in their lives.   :banghead:  I've told my kids to just pick any major that gets their blood pumping and do it well.

Good call.  I double-majored as an undergraduate in history and archaeology.  For the past two years I've worked in biomedical research.  I think if you channel yourself into a pre-law or pre-anything program too early you're missing out on a lot.

By the way, what's a differential equation? :huh: ;)