Honda Civic Si Coupe - $22,626
3 (7.7%)
Honda Civic Si Sedan - $23,190
7 (17.9%)
Mazdaspeed3 GT - $24,700
14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Onslaught

It would be between the Speed3 and Si Coupe if I was looking for one.
Not to insult anyone but I don't trust VW very much. I've had too many
friends with too many problems out of them over the years. Even if their
cars looked nice inside and out.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Onslaught

Quote from: Submariner on August 28, 2007, 09:18:34 PM
F-15 fighter jet!
Get a Strike Eagle so you have more gas capacity or use it for more storage space.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Onslaught on August 28, 2007, 10:15:51 PM
Get a Strike Eagle so you have more gas capacity or use it for more storage space.
I would recommend the Super Hornet-F.  Better mileage and higher cruising speed.  Much better handling also.

SVT_Power

okay fuck those ideas. Just get a F-22
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Is that a 3-door or 5-door GTI?

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on August 28, 2007, 07:06:58 PM
+1. The my dears get quite annoying coming from trep..only omi can do shit like that,

To raza: I went with Si Coupe for the reason that I think it is reasonably practical and looks way better than the 4 door (IMO). I just can't stand the proportions on the 4 door. But I may be a bit biased because if you put the si coupe to my car the look pretty similiar. Have you driven the tC? It is way cheaper than the SI for the a little but less performance if I recall correctly.

If the tC is twice as good as the xB, I still wouldn't want one.  Plus, it's a Toyota made for people who can't wear their hats properly. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Civic Si Coupe.  Two words: Honda engine.  Best engines in the world.  It's a fun car, comfrotable car, great mileage, killer engine, and I'm starting to warm to the design.  I still don't think that they are lookers, but I certainly don't think they're ugly anymore.  That would be my pick of the ones you listed.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on August 28, 2007, 04:35:15 PM
Of those, I guess the Rabbit. Why not a Mazda 3s sedan or hatch?

I wouldn't choose the standard Mazda3 over the Rabbit, so it's pointless to include it.  I wasn't even considering the Speed3 until I read a few reviews talking about how easy it is to handle the power, and how special it feels when you're driving it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on August 28, 2007, 04:58:59 PM
I like the Rabbit, but if I was going to consider the GTI... well, I wouldn't because I think would rather have the Civic Si.

What do you prefer, a big flat powerband where you can just floor it and go from any gear or would you rather downshift it an feel the power build as wind it out to 8,000rpms? Do you want a VW just because it's a VW, or are you willing to put brand biases aside? NObody can answer that except for you.

The GTI has more cargo space, it can keep up with the Si in a straight line, and fuel economy is about the same, ok... but, the Si handles better, is lighter, costs less, and with it's high strung powertrain, the Si would be more involving... and I know that is your absolute favourite word to use when judging a car, so if you pick the GTI over the Si, you will never live it down.

You've driven the Si. Now go drive the GTI. Then drive the Si again. Then go drive the MS3 and see if you really care that much about fuel economy. Then drive a Suzuki Reno. Then drive the Si again and buy it.

Involving is incredibly important, but when it comes to slight degrees, other things do tend to become important as well.  Considering this is car that has to drive high miles and be responsible for a lot of cargo hauling, then a small, involving car doesn't make as much sense.

As it stands, though, the GTI might be the car I want most, but it's the I'm least likely to buy.  It's just too expensive, and the return over the Rabbit may not be enough to justify it.  The Speed3 is also pushing the "too expensive" category, and it doesn't have a sunroof, but I just assumed that I'd want the Grand Touring model.  It's possible that the standard Speed3 has everything I need, so that would lop a couple thousand off the price, bringing it back in contention with the Si. 

In order of the strongest considerations to the weakest, here they are, as it stands right now:

Rabbit
Si sedan
Si coupe
Speed3
GTI

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on August 29, 2007, 08:23:56 AM
I wouldn't choose the standard Mazda3 over the Rabbit, so it's pointless to include it.

You've driven both? What did you prefer about the Rabbit?

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on August 28, 2007, 07:25:56 PM

Give it a test drive, at least.

At 140bhp, a possible weight exceeding the Rabbit's and a similar price (the only Astra that appeals to me is the XR 3 door), the chance of me being swayed by its character is low.  I will give it a shot though.  Also, I'm one of the few people turned off by a no haggle policy.

If, as Sander hopes, a Redline version comes out within my timeframe (or near it; I'd prefer to have the car locked down by the end of my lease, but if it's something special, I see no problem using the Boxster as my only car for a short time), it would be a possibility.  Certainly, if it mirrors the Astra VXR, it would probably be my top choice (if it's priced similarly to or less than the MS3), barring the miracle of Renault selling the Megane R26 here by August 08.  And that would be a miracle indeed. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on August 29, 2007, 08:31:46 AM
You've driven both? What did you prefer about the Rabbit?

I've actually driven neither; the standard 3 doesn't appeal to me as much as the Rabbit does.  I'm sure it's a fine car, I just don't want it.  I'll likely drive the Rabbit this weekend, and perhaps the GTI again; I don't know if I can squeeze in a 3.  If I'm able to find a Speed3 in the area, then I should be able to though. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10852.msg553098#msg553098 date=1188398106
I've actually driven neither; the standard 3 doesn't appeal to me as much as the Rabbit does.? I'm sure it's a fine car, I just don't want it.? I'll likely drive the Rabbit this weekend, and perhaps the GTI again; I don't know if I can squeeze in a 3.? If I'm able to find a Speed3 in the area, then I should be able to though.?
I've driven the regular 3 and it's very quick.  I would definitely consider it especially with the price advantage.

Submariner

Quote from: M_power on August 28, 2007, 11:29:05 PM

Oh now you're just being ridiculous.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: sandertheshark on August 28, 2007, 10:19:59 PM
I would recommend the Super Hornet-F.  Better mileage and higher cruising speed.  Much better handling also.

Yeah, but theres just something so cool about an F-15 E.  I would paint it crystal galactite black, as found on the SLR, and show all those punk bitches at the stop light some real horsepower.

heelntoe

if the rabbit gets 170hp, i would take that and use the saved money on some suspension upgrades.
@heelntoe

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Northlands

Quote from: Submariner on August 29, 2007, 10:36:34 AM

:lol: :lol:

I'd look at the Si Sedan and the MS3. I love the idea of the sedan simply because it now gets the power that Si's have had but now allowed to have two more doors. That and honda engineering ( perceived reliability ). I'm also a big fan of the regular Mazda 3 sports. Yet to drive the MS3, but I already know I loved the handling on the watered down version. The extra punch would make it all the more entertaining. Doesn't hurt that its a looker too.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

Quote from: heelntoe on August 29, 2007, 10:11:53 AM
if the rabbit gets 170hp, i would take that and use the saved money on some suspension upgrades.

I took a look at the 2008s, and other than the power bump, there are no obvious changes, other than a roughly $400 increase in price (that's why I have an approximate price up there; I priced an 07 and added $400). 

But the thing is that it's creeping ever so closely to the CSi's price.  Now, neither are turbocharged (which I'd rather have over NA), but the CSi is a revver, which I like.  The biggest things holding me back from the CSi are the looks, the interior, and the practicality.  I've done with a sedan for the past 5 years, but never quite so small.  As it stands, the Passat is the most practical car I (or anyone in my family) have access to on a regular basis, so the idea of replacing it with a physically smaller, yet more practical car is appealing.  I'll have to drive the CSi and Rabbit back to back to see if it's worth it.  Also, if they want me to pay a premium on the CSi, I'll promptly tell them to go fuck themselves. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Pontiac gto, you can find many in the low 20's, rape any of the cars you've listed, and my dad's friend who has an '04 consistantly ghets 28+ mpg.. and the newer ones could be even better on gas
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 29, 2007, 01:31:09 PM
Pontiac gto, you can find many in the low 20's, rape any of the cars you've listed, and my dad's friend who has an '04 consistantly ghets 28+ mpg.. and the newer ones could be even better on gas

These are specifically the new cars I'm considering.  When I suss out which used cars I want to consider, I'll make a used car for that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 03:22:02 PM
These are specifically the new cars I'm considering. When I suss out which used cars I want to consider, I'll make a used car for that.
Are you set on a new car?  I just can't imagine the best idea right after college is to buy a [brand] new car.  I think I'd get something off lease CPO or the like, then go new when you have a little better base of income.

Sorry to bring it up, but I'm sure you have thought about it anyways.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on August 29, 2007, 03:27:14 PM
Are you set on a new car?  I just can't imagine the best idea right after college is to buy a [brand] new car.  I think I'd get something off lease CPO or the like, then go new when you have a little better base of income.

Sorry to bring it up, but I'm sure you have thought about it anyways.

No, I'm not set on a new car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Onslaught

Quote from: Submariner on August 29, 2007, 10:09:52 AM
Yeah, but theres just something so cool about an F-15 E.? I would paint it crystal galactite black, as found on the SLR, and show all those punk bitches at the stop light some real horsepower.
I'd just take a RF-4 painted all black with a Playboy bunny on the tail.  if it was me. The F-4 looks like a bad ass and with the cameras on the nose I'd fly over the beach and film the hot girls who wave at me. Then smoke them out with the 2 J79's blowing smoke out the back. The lack of a gun to blow away people would suck so I'd need a F-4E too. Or just give me a A-10 for that.

sandertheshark

Quote from: M_power on August 28, 2007, 11:29:05 PM
Oh, that's definitely out of his (and his dad's) price range.  $50 mil, okay.  But $361 mil and change is just too far out there.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on August 29, 2007, 04:51:16 PM
Oh, that's definitely out of his (and his dad's) price range.  $50 mil, okay.  But $361 mil and change is just too far out there.

What's that on a 48 month lease?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10852.msg553572#msg553572 date=1188429091

What's that on a 48 month lease?
They have excellent resale value so I can't imagine it being more then about $11,000 a month.  You better buy Lease Insurance through the dealership though in case their is excessive wear and tear.