Honda Civic Si Coupe - $22,626
3 (7.7%)
Honda Civic Si Sedan - $23,190
7 (17.9%)
Mazdaspeed3 GT - $24,700
14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Raza

Okay, so I'm running low on time here.  Less than 11 months left; I could move as early as 8-9 months from now. 

I want to know what you guys think I should look at in the new car segment.  Please consider prices when you make a decision. 

Remember, I was looking at 30mpg under old EPA, practical, and it has to handle 25-30k miles per year.  Reliability is not that big a concern, though, so don't read too much into that. 

All cars fit the bill except for the MS3, which is under the gas mileage requirement, but not so much that it would make such a huge deal; it's 28, as I recall. 

Please, please post your logic when you vote!  I need help. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

GTI, can't say that it's better or worse than the others, I just find it more appealing.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Or Si coupe. Either way, you know you want it. K20 FTW.

ifcar

Of those, I guess the Rabbit. Why not a Mazda 3s sedan or hatch?

Eye of the Tiger

I like the Rabbit, but if I was going to consider the GTI... well, I wouldn't because I think would rather have the Civic Si.

What do you prefer, a big flat powerband where you can just floor it and go from any gear or would you rather downshift it an feel the power build as wind it out to 8,000rpms? Do you want a VW just because it's a VW, or are you willing to put brand biases aside? NObody can answer that except for you.

The GTI has more cargo space, it can keep up with the Si in a straight line, and fuel economy is about the same, ok... but, the Si handles better, is lighter, costs less, and with it's high strung powertrain, the Si would be more involving... and I know that is your absolute favourite word to use when judging a car, so if you pick the GTI over the Si, you will never live it down.

You've driven the Si. Now go drive the GTI. Then drive the Si again. Then go drive the MS3 and see if you really care that much about fuel economy. Then drive a Suzuki Reno. Then drive the Si again and buy it.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

footoflead

Quote from: NACar on August 28, 2007, 04:58:59 PM
I like the Rabbit, but if I was going to consider the GTI... well, I wouldn't because I think would rather have the Civic Si.

What do you prefer, a big flat powerband where you can just floor it and go from any gear or would you rather downshift it an feel the power build as wind it out to 8,000rpms? Do you want a VW just because it's a VW, or are you willing to put brand biases aside? NObody can answer that except for you.

The GTI has more cargo space, it can keep up with the Si in a straight line, and fuel economy is about the same, ok... but, the Si handles better, is lighter, costs less, and with it's high strung powertrain, the Si would be more involving... and I know that is your absolute favourite word to use when judging a car, so if you pick the GTI over the Si, you will never live it down.

You've driven the Si. Now go drive the GTI. Then drive the Si again. Then go drive the MS3 and see if you really care that much about fuel economy. Then drive a Suzuki Reno. Then drive the Si again and buy it.

Dude, are you trying to become a troll.  :confused:
If so you are sucking hardcore at it ;)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: footoflead on August 28, 2007, 05:06:26 PM
Dude, are you trying to become a troll.  :confused:
If so you are sucking hardcore at it ;)

It's all about the V-TAK, yo!  :devil:

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

ONLY 11 months?  Jesus, dude....

Is the Mazda a hatch or sedan?  If hatch, that or the GTI, I'd hafta drive them both...  Those are by far the most appealing to me.  Two of my friends have 3s, and I love them both.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raghavan

Si Sedan...
Since it's your practical car i said sedan, but I'd probably take the coupe if i were buying...
Either way it's cheaper than the GTI and MS3, the MS3 has too much power for an FWD car, and the Rabbit with a few suspension upgrades would be a good second choice, but if you're considering a 2 door Civic i'd consider a 3 door Rabbit.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 28, 2007, 06:19:14 PM
This man speaks the truth.

And you have no good reason for it, although your obscene love of Toyota partially explains it.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on August 28, 2007, 06:20:14 PM
And you have no good reason for it, although your obscene love of Toyota partially explains it.

*nods*

Minpin

Quote from: Raghavan on August 28, 2007, 06:36:01 PM
Stop trying to copy Omi. :nono:

+1. The my dears get quite annoying coming from trep..only omi can do shit like that,

To raza: I went with Si Coupe for the reason that I think it is reasonably practical and looks way better than the 4 door (IMO). I just can't stand the proportions on the 4 door. But I may be a bit biased because if you put the si coupe to my car the look pretty similiar. Have you driven the tC? It is way cheaper than the SI for the a little but less performance if I recall correctly.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on August 28, 2007, 06:36:01 PM
Stop trying to copy Omi. :nono:

The *wave* is Omi's. :huh:

Quote from: Minpin on August 28, 2007, 07:06:58 PM
+1. The my dears get quite annoying coming from trep..only omi can do shit like that,

Sorry to disappoint you, my dear. :devil:

sandertheshark

I hate VWs and all FWD Hondas (except ITRs.)

Speed3.

93JC

Give it a test drive, at least.

sandertheshark

^^^Oh hells yeah.  Specially if they come out with a redline in the next 11 months.  (they will.)

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 28, 2007, 07:13:36 PM
The *wave* is Omi's. :huh:

Sorry to disappoint you, my dear. :devil:
Omi does the *nods* thing too.

Champ

Quote from: NACar on August 28, 2007, 04:58:59 PM
the Si would be more involving
If by involving, you mean "I have to downshift everytime I pass because there is no torque," then by definition, yes.  :devil:
Quote from: Raghavan on August 28, 2007, 05:37:13 PM
the MS3 has too much power for an FWD car
Never have I heard someone complain about too much power!  Crazy.  Well I suppose Raza complains about it too.

The cool part about having a throttle that can be at any position means that you don't need to use all the power in first and second gear, but by third when you get traction you have more than the other two.  And you win.

I'd pick MS3, then GTI then SI.  But the GTI is pretty close to the MS3, I suppose I'd need a good amount of test drives to decide.

Pancor

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550