C&D: '08 Viper vs. '07 Z06

Started by GoCougs, August 30, 2007, 07:46:25 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 02, 2007, 10:20:42 AM
Convince me of what? The Viper is the better car? I already said the Viper is the better track car and the Z06 is the better road car. What's wrong with that?
That makes sence!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on September 02, 2007, 08:59:40 AM
the new viper is impressive, but with that much hp you would think the time advantage would be larger. I would take a Corvette without a second thought.

The Viper is geared slighly higher, axle ration of 3.0X compared to 3.42(?) for teh vette, even though the share the same transmission; the Viper also has slighly taller rear tires, yet it's power peak is only 300rpm lower than the Vette. Viper is also 200lbs heavier.
And I've heard that the driveline losses are larger on the Viper than the Vette, but I'm juts speculating.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 02, 2007, 10:18:53 AM
It rides much firmer than the F-150s, Rams, etc. It jostles you around like a box truck.
Most sports cars I've ridden in ride rougher then pickup trucks.  That doesn't mean they drive like trucks.  If my truck drove like a Viper I'd be thrilled.

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 02, 2007, 05:39:05 PM
Most sports cars I've ridden in ride rougher then pickup trucks. That doesn't mean they drive like trucks. If my truck drove like a Viper I'd be thrilled.

When your truck drives like a Viper, I want a ride in your truck. :ohyeah:

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 02, 2007, 05:39:05 PM
Most sports cars I've ridden in ride rougher then pickup trucks.? That doesn't mean they drive like trucks.? If my truck drove like a Viper I'd be thrilled.

Trucks are loud, crude, uncomfortable, unrefined, have balky, vague shifters with stiff clutches, and cheap interior with little to no creature comforts. Replace "Trucks" with "Vipers" and it still makes sense.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 02, 2007, 09:58:01 PM
Trucks are loud, crude, uncomfortable, unrefined, have balky, vague shifters with stiff clutches, and cheap interior with little to no creature comforts. Replace "Trucks" with "Vipers" and it still makes sense.
You could put a lot of cars in that description.  I've talked to guys who drive their Vipers to work every day and don't complain about anything but the hot exhaust pipes.  I like unrefined.  I like loud.  I like crude.  My truck is neither loud, crude, unrefined, uncomfortable, and it has lots of creature comforts and the interior isn't cheap (in fact it's more upscale then the interior in the new Ram).

giant_mtb

That's what a viper is supposed to be.  Loud, crude, uncomfortable, unrefined, etc.

...it wouldn't be as fast as it is if it wasn't these things.  It wouldn't be an icon of recent sports car history if it wasn't these things.  It wouldn't be a Viper if it wasn't.

:huh:

the Teuton

I know a guy with a gen 1 and a gen 3 Viper.  He loves them both dearly, plastic windows and ankle-burning exhaust and all. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

I've never payed much attention to Vipers. Do they hold their value well?

giant_mtb

From C&D's comparo of the 350Z, TT, RX-8, and Mustang Shelby GT.

"There?s still some coarseness, and the thrumming engine noise inside the cabin becomes annoying on even short highway trips. Aside from the seats, which drew praise for their comfort and support, the interior doesn?t provide much comfort. The plastic has been upgraded since the 350Z?s launch in 2002, and the padded armrests are a nice touch, but it?s obvious that this car was built on a tight budget, as evidenced by headrest stakes that bulge into your back when you lean your head rearward.

At least the 350Z is still a focused driving machine, which is what really matters."

...sounds a bit like a description of a Viper, wouldn't you say?  Crude, uncomfortable, cheap interior...yet a focused driving machine.  Is that irony I smell?

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on September 02, 2007, 11:42:07 PM
I've never payed much attention to Vipers. Do they hold their value well?

I found a 1995 gen 1 with 80k miles for $25k here.  I think they hold their value very well.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Minpin

This article makes me want to buy a Mustang GT. I wonder what I could get for an 06 scion tC with 10k miles....
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 02, 2007, 11:45:30 PM
From C&D's comparo of the 350Z, TT, RX-8, and Mustang Shelby GT.

"There?s still some coarseness, and the thrumming engine noise inside the cabin becomes annoying on even short highway trips. Aside from the seats, which drew praise for their comfort and support, the interior doesn?t provide much comfort. The plastic has been upgraded since the 350Z?s launch in 2002, and the padded armrests are a nice touch, but it?s obvious that this car was built on a tight budget, as evidenced by headrest stakes that bulge into your back when you lean your head rearward.

At least the 350Z is still a focused driving machine, which is what really matters."

...sounds a bit like a description of a Viper, wouldn't you say?? Crude, uncomfortable, cheap interior...yet a focused driving machine.? Is that irony I smell?

Chris stop trolling. I never said there is anything wrong with the Viper being like that. They build it to be that way. It's supposed to be loud, crude, and unrefined. I'm just describing what it is from my time in them.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 02, 2007, 10:27:03 PM
You could put a lot of cars in that description.? I've talked to guys who drive their Vipers to work every day and don't complain about anything but the hot exhaust pipes.? I like unrefined.? I like loud.? I like crude.? My truck is neither loud, crude, unrefined, uncomfortable, and it has lots of creature comforts and the interior isn't cheap (in fact it's more upscale then the interior in the new Ram).

Do you have a point to this? Fact is the Viper is one of the most brutal cars on the road. That's all i've really been saying. It is how they built it to be for better or worse.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 03, 2007, 08:56:46 AM
Do you have a point to this? Fact is the Viper is one of the most brutal cars on the road. That's all i've really been saying. It is how they built it to be for better or worse.
Yes there is a point.  The point is the Viper drives nothing like a truck.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 03, 2007, 09:01:21 AM
Yes there is a point.? The point is the Viper drives nothing like a truck.

Yeah, you're right I forgot how many you've driven.

The Viper rides rough (far moreso than most other sports cars, is brutal, stiff clutch, vague heavy shifter, cheap plastic interior, it's engine even has truck roots, has practicaly no creature comforts, etc. The difference is it is very low to the ground, has little body roll, and is extremely fast.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Minpin on September 02, 2007, 11:59:07 PM
This article makes me want to buy a Mustang GT. I wonder what I could get for an 06 scion tC with 10k miles....

I'll offer you $5.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TheIntrepid

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 03, 2007, 11:17:04 AM
Yeah, you're right I forgot how many you've driven.
I haven't driven one but I have ridden in one and it's not as bad you make it out to be.  I always love how the haters always exagerate.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 03, 2007, 04:54:35 PM
I haven't driven one but I have ridden in one and it's not as bad you make it out to be.  I always love how the haters always exagerate.

I don't think he's hating, he's just telling it like it is. Meanwhile, you refuse to acknowledge any similarities between a Viper and a truck, which is just foolish arrogance on your part.
Maybe I've never driven a Viper, but I bet they have a lot in common with Mustangs... they feel a lot like trucks because they are relatively unrefined, don't exactly feel light on their feet, none of the controls are particularly sharp, and aren't exactly designed for comfort. It's not an insult as much as it's just the truth about those types of cars.

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 03, 2007, 12:02:47 PM
:evildude:

Camry > Scion.

Manual>CVT

Engine not burdened with electric motor>Same engine with an electric motor

Sorry, buddy.  :lol: ;)

Minpin

Quote from: ro51092 on September 03, 2007, 05:51:10 PM
Manual>CVT

:rockon: :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on September 03, 2007, 05:16:49 PM
I don't think he's hating, he's just telling it like it is. Meanwhile, you refuse to acknowledge any similarities between a Viper and a truck, which is just foolish arrogance on your part.
Maybe I've never driven a Viper, but I bet they have a lot in common with Mustangs... they feel a lot like trucks because they are relatively unrefined, don't exactly feel light on their feet, none of the controls are particularly sharp, and aren't exactly designed for comfort. It's not an insult as much as it's just the truth about those types of cars.
I've owned Mustangs, ridden in a Viper, and owned several pickups from 3 different manufacturers, and I'm telling you that neither of them feel like trucks in any way.  To say they drive like trucks or have all these similarities to trucks is a great exageration.  Sure they ride rough and have cheap interiors, but that doesn't make them "drive like trucks".

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 03, 2007, 07:40:57 PM
I've owned Mustangs, ridden in a Viper, and owned several pickups from 3 different manufacturers, and I'm telling you that neither of them feel like trucks in any way.  To say they drive like trucks or have all these similarities to trucks is a great exageration.  Sure they ride rough and have cheap interiors, but that doesn't make them "drive like trucks".

Well I've driven Mustangs, ridden in Mustangs, owned several different trucks, and I say you are just full of shit because you can't stand be wrong about anything. Trucks "ride rough and have cheap interiors". God damn it you just said it plain as day but then you turn around and say it isn't so. j00 ar3 PWN3D J0O N00B. you fAIL

^you
:rolleyes:

Onslaught

Strange, I find that most trucks have less rattles than Mustangs.

Sorry.... I just had to.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ro51092 on September 03, 2007, 05:51:10 PM
Manual>CVT

IIRC his is an auto, though I do agree that CVT is a piece of shit. :banghead:

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on September 03, 2007, 08:02:17 PM
Strange, I find that most trucks have less rattles than Mustangs.

Sorry.... I just had to.
I tried making that point earlier in the thread.

giant_mtb

I bet the almighty Ridgeline is more refined than a Viper.  :rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 03, 2007, 08:30:55 PM
IIRC his is an auto, though I do agree that CVT is a piece of shit. :banghead:

CVT is far from being a POS, it's just not the tranny of choice for enthusiasts.  CVT is great in our Freestyle and the engine feels like it has 250hp rather then 200 when trying to pass or going through the mountains.