C&D: '08 Viper vs. '07 Z06

Started by GoCougs, August 30, 2007, 07:46:25 PM

GoCougs

Just got my issue today. The new 600 hp Viper beat the Z06 in all acceleration and handling categories save braking. In fine C&D fashion, Z06 finished 1st. Ultimately, the Viper is the better performer and much easier to drive hard, but the Z06 was more refined.

Z06:
0-60: 3.7
0-100: 7.7
0-150: 17.5
1/4 mile: 11.7 @ 125
300' skidpad: 0.99 g
Lane change: 66.2 mph
Lightning lap: 1:27.2, 82.6 mph ave
Braking 70-0: 149'

Highs: Iconic V8 at its best, an everyday drive and long hauler too, stupendously fast
Lows: Wobbly seats, frighteningly tail-happy on the track, looks plain next to the Viper

Viper:
0-60: 3.5
0-100: 7.6
0-150: 17.0
1/4 mile: 11.6 @ 126
300' skidpad: 1.00 g
Lane change: 66.4 mph
Lightning lap: 1:26.7, 83.0 mph ave
Braking 70-0: 150'

Highs: Looks like a medieval spaceship, apocalyptic power output, rock-solid brakes
Lows: Claustrophobic cabin, leg-burning exhaust, lack of refinement

EDIT: D'oh!

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

To be honest I expected the Viper to be ALOT faster, as it has a much better power to weight ratio now.  It seems in terms of acceleration the viper is just a little faster.

sandertheshark

I think its impressive enough that the Vette hangs so close with such a power disadvantage.

S204STi

Thanks for starting this thread Cougs, I got my issue yesterday and have been pretty excited about it.

Something about the vents in the new Viper hood makes me just love it.  I used to be fairly ambivalent about the Vipers, but the hood vents take the looks up a notch, for some reason.  Maybe because it reminds me of the TVR Sagaris, one of my favorite automobiles.

Also, I figure that if you're looking for a daily driver neither of these is really practical, so you might as well buy the one that's easier to track.

JYODER240

Quote from: GoCougs on August 30, 2007, 07:46:25 PM
Just got my issue today. The new 600 hp Viper beat the Z06 in all acceleration and handling categories save braking. In fine C&D fashion, Z06 finished 1st. Ultimately, the Viper is the better performer and much easier to drive hard, but the Z06 was more refined.

The better performer? The Viper was quicker to 60, 100, and the 1/4mile by .1 of a second, pulled .01 of a g more on the skidpad, was .2 quicker through the slalom, and only .5 faster around the track. Who cares? It's a drivers race and even still you'll never feel that little of a difference. The only thing that matters was that the Viper was easier to drive hard.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

FordSVT

Quote from: sandertheshark on August 30, 2007, 08:00:35 PM
I think its impressive enough that the Vette hangs so close with such a power disadvantage.

It's 250 lbs lighter for one thing.

For another, the Viper's drag coefficient of 0.39 makes it look like a brick compared to the slippery Vette's 0.34 .cd, and that's definitely going to help it past 100 mph.

You know what else has a drag coefficient of 0.39? A 1992 Ford Econoline!  :lol:

I've always liked the Viper's looks and attitude, and I might even take one (a roadster) if it was going to be a pure track-day car, but I definitely agree with C&D's assessment: the Viper's a pretty rough and ready beast.

GoCougs

I'm a bit torn between the two. I'm a Mopar muscle car fan, but I'd probably take the Z06; quieter, better ride, more everyday-ish in its features and design, safer for the non-racer (Viper hasn't traction/stability control) and a V8 exhaust note.

There's a blurb on p. 70 about the cam-in-cam design that gives the Viper a real man's VVT (varying exhaust independently of intake). I think that's pretty innovative.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

deesea

I'd take the Z06, don't like the idea of the exhaust burning my legs.. :nono:
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: deesea on August 30, 2007, 10:40:29 PM
I'd take the Z06, don't like the idea of the exhaust burning my legs.. :nono:

But exhaust burning your legs puts hair on your chest.  :devil:
(even if it burns the hair off your legs)
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

I think I'd rather have the old 405 bhp Z06.

500+ hp is too much.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

I'd much rather have the Z06 though the new Viper is very impressive.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 30, 2007, 10:52:54 PM

500+ hp is too much.

Put a small wooden block under the pedal then.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 30, 2007, 08:27:51 PM
The better performer? The Viper was quicker to 60, 100, and the 1/4mile by .1 of a second, pulled .01 of a g more on the skidpad, was .2 quicker through the slalom, and only .5 faster around the track. Who cares? It's a drivers race and even still you'll never feel that little of a difference. The only thing that matters was that the Viper was easier to drive hard.

The 0.1 sec acceleration advantage is about a 0.5 - 1 car length in the 1/4 mile, and the 0.5 sec advantage on the track is more (my guess is ~3 car lengths using average speed).

No, it likely won't be felt or matter to the average driver/buyer, but it's a material advantage.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on August 30, 2007, 11:42:10 PM
The 0.1 sec acceleration advantage is about a car length in the 1/4 mile, and the 0.5 sec advantage on the track is more (my guess is ~3 car lengths using average speed).

No, it likely won't be felt or matter to the average driver/buyer, but it's a material advantage.

VIR is a three-mile long roadcourse. 0.5 seconds is within the margin of any driver's error on the planet.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 31, 2007, 12:00:25 AM
VIR is a three-mile long roadcourse. 0.5 seconds is within the margin of any driver's error on the planet.

Actually, it was at "Grattan," and was a 2.0 mile course.

Per p. 68 sidebar however, they did run this new Viper at VIR, where the lead lengthened to a full second over the Z06.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 30, 2007, 10:52:54 PM

500+ hp is too much.

Raza...?

sportyaccordy

When a car is called rough in comparison to Corvette Z06, it's basically an oxcart. Plus the performance numbers are too close to call the Viper the *better performer*, especially with a 100HP advantage.  I would take the Vette and pocket the change, maybe buy a Civic or something.

VetteZ06

SVT666

I'll take the Viper any day.  But it would be a previous generation GTS and then get Henessey to work on it a bit:

But out of these two cars, I would take the Viper.  I've just always wanted one and I don't care if the Vette with 100 less hp and whole lot less money is just about as fast:

JYODER240

Call me crazy but I'd probably take this over either.

sandertheshark

Catman

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 31, 2007, 05:03:55 PM
Call me crazy but I'd probably take this over either.

Oooo, a new sig.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2007, 12:07:58 AM
Actually, it was at "Grattan," and was a 2.0 mile course.

Per p. 68 sidebar however, they did run this new Viper at VIR, where the lead lengthened to a full second over the Z06.

Grattan is near where I live! I've driven on that track before. It's an awesome track.

Have you guys that cry for more horsepower ever driven on a real racetrack before? Even a 1980 VW Rabbit 1600 feels plenty fast on a racetrack.

JYODER240

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 31, 2007, 10:41:57 PM
Grattan is near where I live! I've driven on that track before. It's an awesome track.

Have you guys that cry for more horsepower ever driven on a real racetrack before? Even a 1980 VW Rabbit 1600 feels plenty fast on a racetrack.

+1

I know, I'd say that 95% of enthusiasts here think they're a much better driver then they really are. So many people act like they would push an Enzo around backroads when in reality none of us here can even get 90% out of a S2000 on a racetrack.

Lebowski

Quote from: R-inge on August 30, 2007, 08:27:25 PM

Also, I figure that if you're looking for a daily driver neither of these is really practical, so you might as well buy the one that's easier to track.

:confused:

I wouldn't think twice about driving a Z06 every day.

giant_mtb

So, basically, the Viper was faster in all respects, but they gave the win to the Vette because it's softer on the streets and the Viper lacks refinement and doesn't have nannies.  Seriously...it's a fucking sports car comparison.  I want the faster one, naturally.

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 01, 2007, 08:56:32 AM
So, basically, the Viper was faster in all respects, but they gave the win to the Vette because it's softer on the streets and the Viper lacks refinement and doesn't have nannies.? Seriously...it's a fucking sports car comparison.? I want the faster one, naturally.

Look at the differences in times. They're basicaly identical and the Viper was only slightly faster. Not only are the numbers so close that you wouldn't notice a difference but they're not as important as people make them out to be to begin with.