My first ticket - ends up being in the US

Started by SVT_Power, August 31, 2007, 11:16:02 PM

SVT_Power

So tonight I was driving to my aunt's in NJ. I'm driving on the I-90 or whatever it's called.

Limit is 65 mph, I was doing about 75-80 mph depending on amount of traffic. But as I'm passing a bunch of cars, a honda accord starts tailgating me so I sped up to 85ish to pass the line of cars so I could get out of the way. So i let the car by and I slow down to just under 80. Cop pulls me over then.

He pulls me over and asks me the usual "do you know why I pulled you over?" and I told him speeding obviously. He asks me if I know how fast I was going so I tell him i was doing about 80 when he pulled me over. Apparently I passed by him doing 86 mph. So either he was on the shoulder clocking or he was in the line of cars I passed before. But I'm pretty sure he wasn't sitting there clocking since I would have seen him.

He goes back to his cruiser with my license and registration and comes back in a few minutes with a ticket for doing 80 in a 65.

I think I'm gonna plead guilty and mail in my sheet of paper thing he gave me. They'll mail me a amount for the speeding fine right?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

WTF. He should have pulled over that Accord, since he was tailgating and speeding even faster than you.

Anyhoo, congratulations :clap:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TurboDan

Your fine will be doubled because it's a 65MPH zone.  It would've been cheaper to go 80 in a 55, believe it or not.  Jersey, ugh.

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2007, 11:22:12 PM
WTF. He should have pulled over that Accord, since he was tailgating and speeding even faster than you.

Anyhoo, congratulations :clap:

it was a she ... and she was distracted looking at her phone. wtf
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: TurboDan on August 31, 2007, 11:22:56 PM
Your fine will be doubled because it's a 65MPH zone.? It would've been cheaper to go 80 in a 55, believe it or not.? Jersey, ugh.

i think i got pulled over while I was still in NY though

TurboDan

Quote from: M_power on August 31, 2007, 11:24:08 PM
i think i got pulled over while I was still in NY though

You mean you don't know which agency pulled you over?  It's printed on the ticket...

SVT_Power

Quote from: TurboDan on August 31, 2007, 11:26:51 PM
You mean you don't know which agency pulled you over?? It's printed on the ticket...

:lol:

Yeah I got pulled over in NY. Does that make it any better for me?

SVT_Power

and I should plead guilty right? I can't even appear in court obviously

SVT_Power

Eye of the Tiger

TurboDan

I think you gotta read your ticket.  All the info, including the fine, should be on there.

SVT_Power

i read it over like 5 times and it's not there :huh:

SVT_Power

guy printed out a long sheet of paper (worth 2 pages) and there's no mention of any monetary figures on it

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on August 31, 2007, 11:40:33 PM
guy printed out a long sheet of paper (worth 2 pages) and there's no mention of any monetary figures on it

maybe you don't have to pay because you're a foreign diplomat :tounge:

SVT_Power

okay i just read over the thing and in the plea of guilty section it says "I plead guilty to the offense as charged and request that this charge be disposed of and a fine or penalty fixed by the court." So i guess i just mail in my guilty plea and hope for the best

Lazerous

Accord owners FTW. We manage to do shit and get away with it :P Just like me getting up to 105mph on a 45mph near a hospital zone in a college town infested with Mr Bob's all over  :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: M_power on August 31, 2007, 11:27:58 PM
:lol:

Yeah I got pulled over in NY. Does that make it any better for me?

New York and Ontario have reciprocity (per the NY DMV website).  Said ticket could show up on your Ontario record.  I'd write a letter to the prosecutor or town justice and state your case.  Explain the circumstances surrounding being pulled over, and acknowledge your wrongdoing.  I can't make any guarantees, but it's worked well for me.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

I guess I'll write up a little letter or something and mail it in together with my guilty plea.

(actually there's like a little space where I can additionally make a statement of explanation but it's not nearly enough to write anything)

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on August 31, 2007, 11:37:15 PM
I think you gotta read your ticket.? All the info, including the fine, should be on there.

In New York State, only tickets issued in New York City have the fine printed on them.? At least that's the way it was the last time I got a ticket in New York.

When you mail in your plea, they come back to you with the amount of your fine.

Eddie -- Congratulations on your first ticket, and may you have many more.... :ohyeah:? You've started to fulfill your destiny as a driver.... :rockon:

You might want to call the court to find out the amount of the fine before you plead guilty.

The Pirate makes a good point, though.  For some bizarre reason, the only jurisdictions with which NYS has reciprocity on moving violations are the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario (there's no reciprocity with any other US state), meaning that the ticket will show up on your driving record if you plead guilty or are convicted.

So it might be worth a letter explaining your circumstance.  I suggest you call the court and explain the situation, and ask find out the procedure for how a plea like this would be handled.  You may regret just pleading guilty, if it ends up jacking up your insurance rates.  I imagine your parents won't be too pleased when they find out about the ticket.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TheIntrepid

I have nothing to add to this thread but my note of congratulations. :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

I've gone something like 80-85 on the highway before in my car without so much as a cop problem.  Eddie, either you need a radar detector or a better awareness of where you are and who's there with you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TurboDan

That's weird that NYS doesn't put the amount of the fine on the ticket.  Why wouldn't they?  How could anyone just mail in a ticket without knowing the fine beforehand?  Can they just levy whatever fine they feel like? 

All those years living in NYS and I never got a ticket there.  Weird.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on September 01, 2007, 09:30:27 AM
That's weird that NYS doesn't put the amount of the fine on the ticket.? Why wouldn't they?? How could anyone just mail in a ticket without knowing the fine beforehand?? Can they just levy whatever fine they feel like??

All those years living in NYS and I never got a ticket there.? Weird.

NYS has an antiquated justice court system.  NYC delegated the handling of its tickets to some other agency, so they're handled through a whole different adjudication process.  They put the fine on the ticket in order to automate the process, and if you challenge the ticket, you go to an adjudication center rather than municipal court.

But outside the city (and maybe one other county), traffic tickets are handled by the local justice court at the town or village level.  The system is totally antiquated.  You mail in your ticket, they mail you back the fine, and then you have until a certain date to pay.  You can of course challenge the ticket in the local court.

There is not necessarily consistency between the courts either, for some reason.  I received two different fines for the same offense in neighboring village courts.

The other nuisance with the justice courts is that they don't take personal checks, and seem to only accept postal money orders.  What a PITA that was.  I ended up going to court a few times to pay in cash in order to avoid having to get the postal money order.  If the court is local, that is easier.

The justice courts in NYS are politically entrenched and have survived several attempts to modernize and/or do away with them.  I'm guessing a person with a ticket can call the court to find out the amount of the fine before deciding how to plead.  It seems only fair that you should know the maximum penalty before deciding how to plead.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on September 01, 2007, 09:09:38 AM
I've gone something like 80-85 on the highway before in my car without so much as a cop problem.? Eddie, either you need a radar detector or a better awareness of where you are and who's there with you.

Even the best of us slip up sometimes.  You'll get your turn....  :evildude:

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on September 01, 2007, 05:04:49 AM
So it might be worth a letter explaining your circumstance.  I suggest you call the court and explain the situation, and ask find out the procedure for how a plea like this would be handled.  You may regret just pleading guilty, if it ends up jacking up your insurance rates.  I imagine your parents won't be too pleased when they find out about the ticket.

I was driving with my mom and brother in the car. My mom laughed at me and asked me how I felt after my first ticket. She just said I had to pay for it with my money

The Pirate

Quote from: M_power on September 01, 2007, 11:09:29 AM
I was driving with my mom and brother in the car. My mom laughed at me and asked me how I felt after my first ticket. She just said I had to pay for it with my money

What town (or county) did you get pulled over in?  It should say on the ticket. 

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on September 01, 2007, 09:44:59 AM
Even the best of us slip up sometimes.  You'll get your turn....  :evildude:

Hopefully not. I've lucked out a few times so far.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on September 01, 2007, 11:58:52 AM

What town (or county) did you get pulled over in?  It should say on the ticket. 

Town of Verona, Oneida county  :huh:

The Pirate

Quote from: M_power on September 01, 2007, 01:13:36 PM
Town of Verona, Oneida county  :huh:

Alright, it's probably just a town justice or something like that.  I'd write a letter, and hope for the best.  Mention that you have no problem with a fine, since you know you were guilty of speeding.  Ask for a fine reduction, for the purpose of keeping points off of your license.  Be sure to explain the circumstances around the citation (the officer can corroborate that), and say that you don't usually speed.

SVT_Power

Should I ask them to change the charge to something that doesn't involve points but they can still fine me?