Upgrading to HID

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, September 14, 2007, 09:47:58 AM

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm thinking about upgrading my low beams on the Z to a HID setup. I've been doing some minor searching for kits and they seem to be plentiful. I have no idea what is a good kit or a bad kit. I'm not looking for style here, i just want light output.

Anyone convert over to HID or know anything about it?

Champ

S204STi

Go only with a big name brand like Philips, or some other OEM supplier.  Avoid Ebay kits, and avoid the really "hot" temp range, as that blue-ish purple light is actually way less effective than yellow-ish white light, or the pure white light of good xenon HIDs.

This thread has some of the best information around, for more reading:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664361

the Teuton

Most Subaru people just steal the lights out of junked BMWs and Lexuses to convert their headlights.  It may be a little more work, but hey, it's proven.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

Hmm after reading it looks like i would have to use a different housing.
Later Z's sold in japan came with HID lights but those are going for 700 a piece. So if i wanted to do it right its looking like a 1500 dollar project. A good conversion kit runs 400 and i might not get a good light pattern.

Maybe i should try some replacement bulbs, and realign my lights(i'm sure they are fine, the pattern looks good and the height is good).

I just wanted something brighter, as of right now i'm not comfortable driving it at night very much, compared to my EVO which has light to spare.

Champ

To do HID conversion you cannot go cheap, in which case it makes it a rather expensive project and not really ever worth it.  And of course given the choice, I'd go with halogens anyways.

Look at getting new lenses, there are probably some aftermarket ones that have a better pattern.  For Saab's they are called E-codes (european).

The easy way is try a different bulb.  If you can't get a halogen bulb and good lens to work properly, something else is up.  Maybe your reflectors are dirty and/or poorly designed and scatter too much light?

FlatBlackCaddy

I think my lights are fine, the housing is like new. I could pull the headlight assembly and box it up and sell it as a new OEM piece and most people wouldn't even notice. It has no chips or scratches the lens is crystal clear and the inside is spotless. I'm used to HID's now, which is probobly the bulk of the problem.

I'm going to try a different light first and see if that helps, the lights in there may very well be original which would make them almost 12 years old. I'm sure light technology has advanced since then(i hope).

S204STi

Yeah, my halogen HIDs have spoiled me to our Focus, which seemed bright enough before, and mine aren't even Xenon.  I can only imagine what those are like.

ro51092

My TL used to have HID's, and my A4 doesn't. I adjusted well, I guess.

eThirteen

HID's aren't hard at all. It's relatively easy if you can find a HID system that uses the same bulb as your car.

SOME kits on eBay are cheap AND good.. I rmb there was this $100 that got really good reviews from it's users.

My car does have stock HID's and I've played around with the wiring before when I was upgrading my DRL`s. I helped my friend install his HID fog lights.. again very easy.
-unplug the wires from the bulb.. screw in the ballast in a proper place, run the wires properly along with the new bulbs, then ground it properly.

Of course there is always a cheaper alternative if you just like the look of HID`s, you can go with good quality PIAAs (extreme white and up can get you the colour) and they will be brighter than your current bulbs. However you still can`t compare to a true HID system...

You can also get someone to retrofit a projector-style HID system into your headlights .. could be costly though.

S204STi

The problem with just sticking HID ballasts on your existing projectors is that the light pattern isn't focused enough, resulting in wasted light and excessive glare for other drivers.  I would be very hesitant to do that.

FlatBlackCaddy

Well i personally don't give a rats ass about other drivers.

Every other idiot out here owns a mamoth SUV and non of their lights are ever aligned right, i get blinded daily by these idiots.

I do however car about having a proper light pattern and actually(effectively) gaining higher visibility during night driving.

I am hesitant to buy a kit knowing the projector housing is going to not dispurse the light properly.

sportyaccordy

Best thing to do would be to either get the '07 350Z projectors, or have your headlights retrofitted with projectors from another car with legit HIDs. Check out hidplanet.com to see what I'm talking about. Parts will cost about $250-400, labor depends on what you can do.

I think a kit *may* work but it's hard to tell what kits are legit. If the kit isn't legit the focal point will be off and your light output will be useless.

JYODER240

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 14, 2007, 04:32:50 PM
Best thing to do would be to either get the '07 350Z projectors, or have your headlights retrofitted with projectors from another car with legit HIDs. Check out hidplanet.com to see what I'm talking about. Parts will cost about $250-400, labor depends on what you can do.

I think a kit *may* work but it's hard to tell what kits are legit. If the kit isn't legit the focal point will be off and your light output will be useless.

You're going to spend atleat a grand on the 06-07 350Z projectors. I've checked. Don't get the 03-05 setup like on mine, they're junk.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

deesea

I'm curious, whats the big deal about xenons/HIDs? I mean ok yeah, sure it gives you better visibility and it looks kinda cool, but apart from that is there any other benefits to xenons/HIDs?
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

S204STi

Quote from: deesea on September 14, 2007, 06:55:49 PM
I'm curious, whats the big deal about xenons/HIDs? I mean ok yeah, sure it gives you better visibility and it looks kinda cool, but apart from that is there any other benefits to xenons/HIDs?

Some folks cream themselves over the whole Xenon HID look, particularly ignorant ricers who think the closer to purple your lights look the better (this isn't FlatBlackCaddy, I'm talking about a different crowd :) ),   but there is an advantage in terms of visibility with good lighting.  The first thing I did with the car is get some 65 watt low beam bulbs and set the headlight aim perfectly, to make the most of my lighting.

deesea

so basically, apart from better visibility, and the "cool ricer" factor, there's nothing "oh-so-special" about HID/Xenons
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

S204STi

It's probably a matter of taste really.  The give automotive stylists more flexibility in the front end, as well.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 14, 2007, 06:42:16 PM
You're going to spend atleat a grand on the 06-07 350Z projectors. I've checked. Don't get the 03-05 setup like on mine, they're junk.

Junk? They couldn't have gotten worse since 1976, right? :lol:

The way I see it, your "upgrade" is a downgrade for the oncoming driver.

eThirteen

Quote from: deesea on September 14, 2007, 08:07:46 PM
so basically, apart from better visibility, and the "cool ricer" factor, there's nothing "oh-so-special" about HID/Xenons
very little heat too, so that means it is much more effecient than halogen bulbs.. think about it.. hid usually have output of 35W while halogens output 55W+ and HID's have up to 3500+ lumens.. which is significantly better than halogens.

As to the projector retrofitting, HIDplanet will get you some good info if you're planning to do it.. maybe DIY guides on there. I do know the admin of HIDplanet because our forum and theirs worked together to shut down a scammer.<offtopic. EBAY could be a good place to buy projectors.. I'm pretty sure that Lexus and Acura (TSX/TL) have the one of the BEST projectors around, and they can be picked up for less than $300.

FlatBlackCaddy

I wouldn't spend 800 dollars to retrofit some projectors into my housing. Also i don't understand the suggestion to buy 07 350Z lights(which would cost over a grand) when i could buy the later 300ZX HID housings that would fit my car perfectly.

Deesea, they have a huge benefit in visability. If you do alot of night driving you would feel much more comfortable with HID than ANY halogen bulb. While it may be style to many there is a huge difference in light.

Submariner

Well, lets see, your Z had projectors stock, so I don't think you would need to do any fabrication.

But the problem with after market kits, even from reputable companies, is that it's very, very difficult to aim xenons, especially when they don't have the auto level function.   In fact, I think having an after market HID kit on a road going car is illegal.  Apparently companies market them solely to track, and off-road duty (which we all know is bullshit, but they put a disclaimer on their product so it's all ok)

Have you ever encountered a car with xenons that has blinded you?  Well, that's because their high beams were on, which is not dissimilar to poorly aimed low beams (after all, xenon low and highbeamss are one in the same)

If I were you, the best way to go would be an assembly directly from another Z car.
But remember, aiming is key.  Nothing would suck harder than to drive past a police officer on a bad day and get cited for having your high beams on, then come to find out it was a non-stock retrofit.

I tried for nearly a year to help a friend fit xenons onto his 97 740iL.  They have an odd setup, where projectors are encased by reflectors.  This essentially means you don't get a sharp cutoff or the shifting light color normally associated with projectors. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: eThirteen on September 14, 2007, 08:54:44 PM
very little heat too, so that means it is much more effecient than halogen bulbs.. think about it.. hid usually have output of 35W while halogens output 55W+ and HID's have up to 3500+ lumens.. which is significantly better than halogens.

As to the projector retrofitting, HIDplanet will get you some good info if you're planning to do it.. maybe DIY guides on there. I do know the admin of HIDplanet because our forum and theirs worked together to shut down a scammer.<offtopic. EBAY could be a good place to buy projectors.. I'm pretty sure that Lexus and Acura (TSX/TL) have the one of the BEST projectors around, and they can be picked up for less than $300.

Actually (and I don't mean to troll) But the W-221 S-class has the best xenons I've ever experienced

Better than the setup in the Infiniti Q45 and the new LS 460. . 

FlatBlackCaddy

My z does have a projector type lens for the low beam light. The high and low beams aren't in the same bulb. Also Z's do come with a headlight aiming contraption(never looked at mine, but its housed in a 1x1 ft box behind the passenger). I should atleast get that out and see if my current setup is aimed properly(it should be, the lights have never been removed to my knowledge).

Raza

Quote from: deesea on September 14, 2007, 06:55:49 PM

I have xenons and I don't have xenons.  Either way doesn't matter to me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 15, 2007, 09:38:09 AM
My z does have a projector type lens for the low beam light. The high and low beams aren't in the same bulb. Also Z's do come with a headlight aiming contraption(never looked at mine, but its housed in a 1x1 ft box behind the passenger). I should atleast get that out and see if my current setup is aimed properly(it should be, the lights have never been removed to my knowledge).

I doubt your car does, seeing as auto leveling devices were not needed on halogen based cars.

I would look around for some info on the correct aiming degree for Xenons in America, and the correct method of doing that to your retrofit. 

Make sure to find out if xenon's need to have an auto level computer, too.

heelntoe

how about some more powerful bulbs(philips rallye) and a relay?
@heelntoe

Submariner

Quote from: heelntoe on September 15, 2007, 12:30:14 PM
how about some more powerful bulbs(philips rallye) and a relay?

GE nighthawks are good, and they are a direct replacement.

AKL

Quote from: Submariner on September 15, 2007, 01:56:27 PM
GE nighthawks are good, and they are a direct replacement.
I was thinking of replacing the Accord's lighting with GE nighthawks.
The Accord's lighting is not so great. I had to drive to my friends place quite far up north (no street lighting)the low beams really sucked. I had to rely on my high beams to light the way.

Will changing them to GE nighthawks make a noticeable difference? I don't want to spend money on something that will not make much of a difference.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

S204STi

You'll probably notice a little.  Another big thing is to make sure your lenses aren't hazed or pitted.