Urgent Help Please!

Started by AutobahnSHO, September 26, 2007, 10:45:52 AM

AutobahnSHO

The wifey just emailed me:

"There's something wrong with the van.  I noticed a huge puddle of what I thought was water under the van when I pulled out of the garage last night. 
I assumed it was from the AC, but I kept an eye on the temperature in case it was the radiator.  Everything was fine.  I went out there this morning and the puddle hadn't dried, which seemed weird, so I touched it and it's oily.  It's clear, though, like water.  I checked the oil and it's fine.  No lights have come on.  The van drives fine, but something has obviously broken and I'm afraid to drive it.  Also,whatever the liquid is, it has a fishy smell to it.  I thought the garbage was really stinky so I took it to the compactor last night, but the smell was still this morning.  Then I realized that it was that oily liquid that smelled.

The puddle originated up where the oil drips are.

Is it possible that it has something to do with the broken AC?"

------------------------------------------------------

Background:
Van has 130k-ish miles.
When I first bought it I saw a suspicious fluid leak on the garage floor, turned out to be the brake fluid had been over-filled so was leaking out a little.

The van was at the shop a few weeks ago for an a/c refill, after a leak check they said the core under the dash is broken and leaking.

Any ideas?
Would this be power steering fluid?
Is it safe to drive?

Thanks!
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

A/C refrigerant will evaporate(iirc).

Is it possibly power steering fluid?

Otherwise it has to be one of the standard things. Engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant.

Power steering fluid has a different smell to it than oil, it could be that.

Edit: didn't read the other half, thought it was part of your sig. :lol:

I think its PS fluid.

Safe to drive? kinda

If the rack dries up too much and overheats it could cause damage to it. Which would result in more money to fix. Odds are its a hose at this point which should be cheap.

Also the pump will run with no fluid in it, possibly causing failure if driven.

It would be "safe" to drive, but possibly end up costing you hundreds of dollars.

southdiver1

I would go with power steering fluid also.
From what I understand, it is flammable.
Two hoses to and from the pump and steering box.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Raza

I'm sorry, I'm generally rubbish with mechanical things.  I just got lucky with Payman's car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

PS or Brake (!) fluid is generally clearish.

Don't run the car without PS fluid since it will ruin the pump then it seizes, then you fry your belt and that's not good.

And I don't need to tell you not to drive the car if it's brake fluid on the ground.

TheIntrepid

Maybe it's the blinker fluid!

(I'm sorry, I had to)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 26, 2007, 11:16:08 AM
Maybe it's the blinker fluid!

(I'm sorry, I had to)
Were there muffler bearings near the fluid as well?

VTEC_Inside

Pretty easy to check the level of the PS fluid to see if thats it, but it certaintly sounds like it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

I had PS fluid leak out onto the pavement as well. Looks just like water but our's was a brownish color when I got some on my finger
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

AutobahnSHO

Thanks for the replies guys- I typed up a response last night but the idiot computer lockedup and lost it.

The wifey will take it to the garage today, hopefully it will make a 10-mile trip (Laurel MD Dodge).  The on-post garage is full until next Tuesday and I don't like them anyways.
Will

S204STi

Fishy smell?  That doesn't sound like PS fluid...but oh well.  We'll see what it is in the mornin'

Rupert

It's probably a fish, if there's a fishy smell. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Well, the wife HAD to make an appointment- she started putting the carseats in the grey van but someone who borrowed it last month left it on empty, so she threw them back in the Grand Caravan and drove across post to the appointment (2miles). 

CEL on and the heat went sky-high.  So it was coolant after all.

I immediately was alarmed as she told me this on the phone last night!- when the SHO blew up and I suspected rod bearing had "spun", when I drained the oil to drop the pan and look, about a quart of antifreeze came out before any oil did.  And it STUNK like nasty fish like you wounldn't believe- (and yes, the bearing had spun, snapped the end of the rod, sending shrapnel all kinds of places, but somehow the holes in the oilpan were not visible because of the internal pressure of the fluids- when I drained it the pieces fell in and there were holes in the oilpan left...)

ANYWAYS she said that the smell was only in the garage, not under the van- so the leaking antifreeze had landed on the oil leaks in the garage.

So she was smart not driving it further, the 3 year old flipped out when "MATER is going to help us!" - tow truck showed up to take them to the Dodge dealer. 

Waterpump, flush and refill was $320 after tax.

They also said the tierods look bad, the rear heater pipes look almost rusted through, and the oil leak is the crank seal. (plus it still needs the a/c core under the dash replaced.)

So then the wife's immediate reaction is to check on getting a carloan.

But it makes no sense getting $150-250/month car payment (meaning $5k or more) and only getting $2k tradein right now on the Caravan when just $1k total would get everything tip-top shape on this one.

I'll have to wait until I get time to do some of the work on the van, but at least we're good to go now..

Anyways- thanks for the help!!!!
Will

TheIntrepid

I'll sell you our 2006 GC SXT when it goes off lease.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 01, 2007, 09:44:05 AM
Ok- I'll have about $5-6k.  :-)   :-)
Will

S204STi

Who said it wasn't power steering fluid?  Oh yeah, me.  :praise:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 01, 2007, 10:26:24 AM
Ok- I'll have about $5-6k.  :-)   :-)

It goes off lease next June. We have the option of letting it go or keeping it for $4350 CAD. We're either going to let it go back or keep it and sell it for a profit.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 01, 2007, 04:52:00 PM
It goes off lease next June. We have the option of letting it go or keeping it for $4350 CAD. We're either going to let it go back or keep it and sell it for a profit.

ALRIGHT!!! That's only like... 39.97 USD.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: BimmerM3 on October 01, 2007, 09:30:28 PM
ALRIGHT!!! That's only like... 39.97 USD.

Our dollar is worth more now. :rolleyes:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 01, 2007, 09:44:05 AM
Does it have sto n go?
That is still a good deal to buy it from them- how much was the lease?
Will

TheIntrepid

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 07, 2007, 09:22:16 AM
Does it have sto n go?
That is still a good deal to buy it from them- how much was the lease?

The lease is a corporate lease, so it was $0.00

and it does have Stow'n'Go. I warn you, the 3.8 is a horribly slow engine.

S204STi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 07, 2007, 09:37:04 AM
The lease is a corporate lease, so it was $0.00

and it does have Stow'n'Go. I warn you, the 3.8 is a horribly slow engine.

It's not that bad...

TheIntrepid

TBR

His current van would have the same engine ;)

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on October 07, 2007, 04:51:58 PM
His current van would have the same engine ;)

Wrong, Timothy. The '99 models had the 3.3

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 07, 2007, 04:53:07 PM

And the 3.8 has more torque and hp.  Even assuming weight gain between the '99 and whatever your dad's is, they are going to be comparable.  Besides, they are minivans, not GT cars.  I've yet to drive a minivan that didn't at least have enough power to safely be on the road.  Fast, no.  Adequate, yes.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 07, 2007, 04:53:07 PM

Actually, you're wrong, the '99 had three V6s, including the 3.3 and 3.8, and an I4. Additionally, the ES (the Sport name was part of a package on the ES in '99, it became a trim level in '00), came standard with the 3.8.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Thanks for playing.

Raghavan

When did the Caravan get the 4.0?

TheIntrepid

TheIntrepid