Veyron vs. Eurofighter

Started by Galaxy, November 03, 2007, 10:33:27 AM

Galaxy

It is not a simply dash to the quarter mile. They have to turn and come back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhd_N01fLg

Raza

Holy hell, I need that job.

But why would he go with the regular mode for the race?  I would think the gains of Speed Mode in acceleration would offset the drag of the spoiler and whatever time you save with the airbrake.  I see what he was saying with the airbrake and the turnaround (which he did very well), but I think lowering that spoiler could have resulted in a win or a much closer race.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

"Chuck Norris would've won against those two on his Delta force dirt bike!"

That reply under the video made me laugh.

Submariner

Even If top gear knew nothing of cars, even if they thought the Veyron was powered by a V8 diesel and the Enzo cost $19,995, segments make it the best car show on earth.

BTW, to they have a top gear track time for it?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Onslaught

I like that show. I like the humor and the car reviews. I just don't know how they have the money to do some of the stuff they pull off. Some of the stuff they do in these shows mush cost some mad cash.

Lazerous

Quote from: Onslaught on November 03, 2007, 11:47:40 AM
I like that show. I like the humor and the car reviews. I just don't know how they have the money to do some of the stuff they pull off. Some of the stuff they do in these shows mush cost some mad cash.

Mad viewer ratings=mad cash yo!

Actually I too am surprised at how they pull some of this stuff off almost constantly.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lazerous

Quote from: NACar on November 03, 2007, 12:03:16 PM
cars ftl

I've always hated cars, actually. I prefer real raw horse power:

Galaxy

What I like about Top Gear is the cinematography.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Galaxy on November 03, 2007, 12:08:41 PM

Yeah it makes it different than any other car show.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on November 03, 2007, 11:42:20 AM
Even If top gear knew nothing of cars, even if they thought the Veyron was powered by a V8 diesel and the Enzo cost $19,995, segments make it the best car show on earth.

BTW, to they have a top gear track time for it?

I don't think so.  In the episode where James tops it out, he said that Bugatti won't let them run it on their track.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2007, 12:27:56 PM
I don't think so.  In the episode where James tops it out, he said that Bugatti won't let them run it on their track.

Hmmmm...I wonder why.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sandertheshark

Quote from: Submariner on November 03, 2007, 12:29:15 PM
Hmmmm...I wonder why.
The Stig has a deep-seated hatred for anything French.  They're afraid of what he may do to a Bugatti.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2007, 10:45:59 AM
Holy hell, I need that job.

But why would he go with the regular mode for the race?  I would think the gains of Speed Mode in acceleration would offset the drag of the spoiler and whatever time you save with the airbrake.  I see what he was saying with the airbrake and the turnaround (which he did very well), but I think lowering that spoiler could have resulted in a win or a much closer race.
gain a couple seconds on the acceleration, lose a couple on the braking.  Six=half-dozen, I'd say.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 03, 2007, 04:31:08 PM
gain a couple seconds on the acceleration, lose a couple on the braking.  Six=half-dozen, I'd say.

Is there a way to change the configuration while on the move?  If so, he could switch to speed mode and speed back across the finish line after braking.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2007, 04:34:06 PM
Is there a way to change the configuration while on the move?  If so, he switch to speed mode and speed back across the finish line after braking.
No, you have to come to a complete stop and put a key on the drivers footsill thingy...

SVT_Power

I thought when you turn the wheel more than a certain number of degrees, the full out speed setting disengages
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

Did you see that? After take-off the Eurofighter pilot just guns his plane into literally a 90 degree upwards angle! Wow! I thought even modern jets would stall if this was attempted. Guess not!  :mask:

Oh yeah, the Veyron got spanked!  :lol:

Richie Hammond is hilariously funny: "I'm fighting for the Germans in a battle against the RAF!"  :wtf:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 03, 2007, 08:24:39 PM
Did you see that? After take-off the Eurofighter pilot just guns his plane into literally a 90 degree upwards angle! Wow! I thought even modern jets would stall if this was attempted. Guess not!  :mask:

Oh yeah, the Veyron got spanked!  :lol:

Richie Hammond is hilariously funny: "I'm fighting for the Germans in a battle against the RAF!"  :wtf:

I think i read somewhere that the F-16 Falcon was the first fighter jet to be able to climb vertically like that without stalling
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on November 03, 2007, 12:08:41 PM

Indeed, and the shots of that fighter were extraordinary.

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on November 03, 2007, 05:25:38 PM
I thought when you turn the wheel more than a certain number of degrees, the full out speed setting disengages
If you turn the steering wheel more then a certain point and if you touch the brakes at all...the system will disengage and you have to stop, turn the car off, and stick the key in the floor again.

sandertheshark

Quote from: M_power on November 03, 2007, 08:30:58 PM
I think i read somewhere that the F-16 Falcon was the first fighter jet to be able to climb vertically like that without stalling
No, I think the English Electric Lightning could sustain a vertical climb.

sandertheshark

Galaxy

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 04, 2007, 12:14:30 PM

While it's climb rate of 15km/min is excellent even today it's thrust to weight ratio is less then one so it can not maintain a vertical climb.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 04, 2007, 12:15:02 PM
It's a pretty slick machine.

F/A 22 vs. Eurofighter.  Which machine would win?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 04, 2007, 12:14:30 PM

At the very least the F-15 could, which predates the F-16.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on November 05, 2007, 11:37:00 AM

No contest: F/A 22.

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Galaxy

Quote from: Raza  on November 05, 2007, 11:37:00 AM

In most cases likely F-22, the Eurofighter would proberly often detect the F-22 to late, although fusing infrared with radar is reportedly working quite well, with infrared telling the targeting system which radar anomaly is an aircraft, (there are to many anomalies from clouds etc to tell which anomaly is a stealth plane otherwise) in ideal conditions the Eurofighters infrared sensor range is larger then the range of a AIM-120. Of all the aircraft the F-22 has been flown against in Simulations the Eurofighter has reportedly  fared the best. There are reports that it has managed simulated F-22 kills.

From Air Power review vol 20:

Typhoon has deployed to the US for tests by the Operational Evaluation Unit (OEU), presumably from England. In skirmishes with the F-22A, the Typhoon dominated the Within Visual Range engagements and apparently this really didn't surprise anyone because Typhoon is known for having outstanding agility. When it scored a radar lock on the F-22A at Beyond Visual Range, that caused quite a stir.

The Eurofighter does have several advantages over the F-22 it is more agil at low speeds and is the most agile aircraft mankind has built at supersonic speeds pulling 9g at Mach 1.2, 6g at 1.5. The F-22 has an advantage at high subsonic speeds and does not loose as much speed at high altitude.

The Eurofighter arguable currently has the more modern weapons with the IRIS-T and the upcoming delayed METEOR, however new weapons can be integrated into an existing platform.

Note that I used proberly, perhaps, maybe etc quite often. The specs of both aircraft are mostly calssified and one has to deduce the capabilites from the tidbits the aviation press manages to obtain.

I am sure that Sandertheshark could tell us more. If he is allowed.