The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

GoCougs

Look at this (factory stock) beauty: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1967-buick-riviera/7391480380.html

Muscle car power (7L V8, 360 hp) but with luxo touches. I might have some big changes coming (working for a startup) so I just don't think have the time right now. But man, this looks to be one nice-ass car. Not a fan of the white interior, and it would need some work, but it truly rust fre and in good working order, this is a steal:

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2021, 06:57:24 PM
Look at this (factory stock) beauty: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1967-buick-riviera/7391480380.html

Muscle car power (7L V8, 360 hp) but with luxo touches. I might have some big changes coming (working for a startup) so I just don't think have the time right now. But man, this looks to be one nice-ass car. Not a fan of the white interior, and it would need some work, but it truly rust fre and in good working order, this is a steal:

Outstanding. Good enough for a local show and shine, but not to dear to be a driver. I love it.

GoCougs

Anyway, more about the '67 MY. It has a neato drum speedo (just like the Olds Toronado of the same year) which was discontinued in '68, trick dual stall speed converter TH-400 (also discontinued in '68), F&R coils spring suspension, in-tank electric fuel pump, the "hub caps" are actually cast wheel covers - almost like a secondary wheel and weigh like 5 lbs a piece (very hard expensive to find). Only downside is 4-wheel drum brakes - front discs were optional but quite rare (conversion kits are available). Love these cars.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2021, 06:57:24 PM

Looks pretty good, also RWD. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2021, 07:12:19 PM
Anyway, more about the '67 MY. It has a neato drum speedo (just like the Olds Toronado of the same year) which was discontinued in '68, trick dual stall speed converter TH-400 (also discontinued in '68), F&R coils spring suspension, in-tank electric fuel pump, the "hub caps" are actually cast wheel covers - almost like a secondary wheel and weigh like 5 lbs a piece (very hard expensive to find). Only downside is 4-wheel drum brakes - front discs were optional but quite rare (conversion kits are available). Love these cars.

Looks really good.  Buy it!  You could always redo the interior and add disc brakes.  Not impossible to do either.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Yup, adding disc brakes is a relatively easy and acceptable mod to do. It would be my job #1.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on November 05, 2021, 08:05:55 AM
Looks really good.  Buy it!  You could always redo the interior and add disc brakes.  Not impossible to do either.

Very tempting, if it's as nice (esp. paint and body work - the hardest stuff) as it appears.

Stuff like carpet, headliner and seats is easy since that is usually a custom install - even if the exact factory replicas aren't available it will still look excellent. However, stuff like door panels, trim bezels, gauges, etc., are usually only availableor are custom made/refinished (expensive and takes forever). Luckily, pretty much all the mechanicals are readily available, including 2- and 4-WDB conversion kits.

JWC

I wonder if 3D printing would help with hard to get plastic parts.

I know there were some VW plastic pieces that dry-rotted from age that a 3D printed replacement would have worked out ideally.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on November 05, 2021, 01:37:10 PM
I wonder if 3D printing would help with hard to get plastic parts.

I know there were some VW plastic pieces that dry-rotted from age that a 3D printed replacement would have worked out ideally.

Heck yeah. Someone good at CAD could make a boatload of money selling shitty plastic parts for older cars.

GoCougs

That's the first barrier - getting CAD models.

The second is material. Printed parts tend to be brittle and the process is coarse such that the surface finish is too.

The third is soft plastics. Stuff like door panels, dash pads and arm rests, generally are not possible via 3d printing.

But in looking, I am seeing aftermarket support for interior parts for this car.

GoCougs

BaT just listed a '66! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-buick-riviera-9/

This is the rare "GS" model and '66 was the first year of the new (and best IMO) design. By this time "GS" was only some fiddly bits, though they are nice - console shifter, "bucket" seats, maybe some other niceties. The old-school "nailhead" 7L V8 carries over (dates back to the early '50s), though rated at 340 hp it's not slouch. The improved second gen Buick V8 would come till '67. There's a red GS on CL not far from me but it's a bit rusty and otherwise needs a LOT of work - no, thanks. This needs body work too, though doesn't appear rusty.

JWC

I guy I worked with at Scherba's in SSFrancisco had a 65 Riv as his daily driver.  It was white. Great car. His "weekend" car was a Pantera.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 07, 2021, 01:31:32 PM
BaT just listed a '66! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-buick-riviera-9/

This is the rare "GS" model and '66 was the first year of the new (and best IMO) design. By this time "GS" was only some fiddly bits, though they are nice - console shifter, "bucket" seats, maybe some other niceties. The old-school "nailhead" 7L V8 carries over (dates back to the early '50s), though rated at 340 hp it's not slouch. The improved second gen Buick V8 would come till '67. There's a red GS on CL not far from me but it's a bit rusty and otherwise needs a LOT of work - no, thanks. This needs body work too, though doesn't appear rusty.
Got your bid in yet?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 08, 2021, 07:18:23 AM
Got your bid in yet?

No. Looks good but my guess is this will bid out to at least $30k, and that not only a lot of $$$, I'd want to inspect it in person (2,500+ miles away).

Here's the '67 GS near me:  https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/beaverton-1967-buick-riviera-grand-sport/7397484241.html

The black '67 I posted is already gone.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 08, 2021, 04:21:59 PM
Bitches, we need to pool our monies;

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/615313039880987

Several could buy that for themselves. :thumbsup:

No guns, power seat, or cruise control? Pass :lol:
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2021, 07:05:40 PM
No. Looks good but my guess is this will bid out to at least $30k, and that not only a lot of $$$, I'd want to inspect it in person (2,500+ miles away).

Here's the '67 GS near me:  https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/beaverton-1967-buick-riviera-grand-sport/7397484241.html

The black '67 I posted is already gone.
A bit rough in spots, but its seems imminently drivable. 

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 09, 2021, 06:44:58 AM
You can drive that wherever you want to.

Okay, you got me there. But I can't afford to fill the fuel tank or grease the wheels.

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

The truck is so unbelievably awesome that it can't even stay in the frame!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

JWC

The K-car was the one Chrysler vehicle that seemed to be the most reliable when I worked at the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. Air conditioning was the only item that regularly failed. My former landlord was a rural carrier for USPS and he only drove K-cars. He did get another newer car to use---the Spirit I think---but he filed a complaint with Chrysler because it couldn't take the abuse. (I got in trouble because I told him warranty would not cover repairs for brakes since it was for "commercial" use. The dealer owner didn't back me up so that was that).

Eye of the Tiger

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 21, 2021, 08:25:41 AM
What

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1892852380898938/

He chooses a color scheme that only 4 people in the country would want and then he tries to sell it half-assembled. I hope he doesn't plan on getting much for it.