Mercury Milan

Started by ifcar, May 05, 2005, 07:28:44 PM

ifcar

In the NYAIS analyis, this car was mentioned as "boring to enthusiasts". No reviews have been released yet, but no information so far points to it being a boring car. Beneath the somewhat-conservative styling is the Mazda6's platform, also used in a car that has never been described as boring to enthusiasts.

Just wanted to point that out, and get a thread started in this section.  

Catman

Wow, so easy to post pics here.  

I think the Milan is pretty sharp.  Conservative but I think it will appeal to a good number of people.  I'm not sure it's a car intended for "Enthusiasts".  

TBR

I quite like the Milan's styling and as long as they don't tamper with the 6's suspension tuning too much I think I will like the rest of it as well.

Why?

I agree, it looks rather nice. Now lets hope they give it a good engine, instead of the usual dull V-6's.

ifcar

QuoteI agree, it looks rather nice. Now lets hope they give it a good engine, instead of the usual dull V-6's.
It has the Duratec 3.0 V6 and the Mazda 2.3-liter 4-cyl.  

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteIn the NYAIS analyis, this car was mentioned as "boring to enthusiasts". No reviews have been released yet, but no information so far points to it being a boring car. Beneath the somewhat-conservative styling is the Mazda6's platform, also used in a car that has never been described as boring to enthusiasts.

Well i think thats half the problem, the mazda 6 chassis that is.

I'd almost tend to agree, or should i say tend to come to the same conclusion of the car before it is tested. Much like the Fusion, i just don't see mercury or ford surpassing the mazda 6 in any way(from a enthusiasts perspective). Really i'm not sure that either is aiming for the same slot as the mazda. While it may be a very buttoned down all arounder with excellent dynamics it will still play second fiddle to the mazda 6 when it comes to most die hard sport sedan fans.

ifcar

QuoteIn the NYAIS analyis, this car was mentioned as "boring to enthusiasts". No reviews have been released yet, but no information so far points to it being a boring car. Beneath the somewhat-conservative styling is the Mazda6's platform, also used in a car that has never been described as boring to enthusiasts.

I'd almost tend to agree, or should i say tend to come to the same conclusion of the car before it is tested. Much like the Fusion, i just don't see mercury or ford surpassing the mazda 6 in any way(from a enthusiasts perspective). Really i'm not sure that either is aiming for the same slot as the mazda. While it may be a very buttoned down all arounder with excellent dynamics it will still play second fiddle to the mazda 6 when it comes to most die hard sport sedan fans.
Second-best is nothing to be ashamed of, especially in a vehicle class so large as midsize sedans.

BMWDave

I think that they are trying to make it a more plush car than the 6 with slightly bigger dimensions, while making it a little more sporty.  It will be aimed so be a more livable car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I think that they are trying to make it a more plush car than the 6 with slightly bigger dimensions, while making it a little more sporty.  It will be aimed so be a more livable car.
And the Mazda6 isn't?  :huh:  

FlatBlackCaddy

Second-best is nothing to be ashamed of, especially in a vehicle class so large as midsize sedans.
There's nothing wrong with it. Like i said it probobly wasn't designed to overtake the 6 as the sportiest offering on this plateform. I'm sure there are several things the mercury will do better than the 6, thereby seeking a whole different crowd.

I hope mercury uses the milan to try to position itself as a more recognized premium brand, giving a good alternative to the german cars.

BMWDave

I am not saying it isnt..of course it is.  Its about making it more livable.  Take a look at both the interiors and the Fords is the plusher environment, while the Mazda is mores sporty.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I am not saying it isnt..of course it is.  Its about making it more livable.  Take a look at both the interiors and the Fords is the plusher environment, while the Mazda is mores sporty.
Are you talking about the dash design, or what?

BMWDave

Of course its a matter of opinion, but I believe that the Fusion looks plusher.  The dash is not as sporty, and the interior as a whole looks less "austere" than the sporty interior of the 6.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Of course its a matter of opinion, but I believe that the Fusion looks plusher.  The dash is not as sporty, and the interior as a whole looks less "austere" than the sporty interior of the 6.
The only sporty aspect of the 6 interior is the dash, unless I'm forgetting something crucial.  

BMWDave

The only sporty aspect of the 6 interior is the dash, unless I'm forgetting something crucial.

Take that, and compare it to this:

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

That would be the dash.  ;)  

BMWDave

Yes it would be.  My point is that the 6 is much more sporty IMO than the Fusion.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Yes it would be.  My point is that the 6 is much more sporty IMO than the Fusion.
I never said that the 6's dash wasn't sportier. I was asking what besides the dash makes one sportier than the other, in response to "Of course its a matter of opinion, but I believe that the Fusion looks plusher. The dash is not as sporty, and the interior as a whole looks less "austere" than the sporty interior of the 6." The and implies that there's more, and I was trying to figure out what you were referring to.  

BMWDave

I'm not going to hit quote this time cause its getting too big.  Of course its a matter of opinion, but IMO the Fusion's dash is thicker, while the Mazda is slim and sporty.  The rest of the interior in the Mazda has an air of sportiness, while the Ford has plush seats.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI'm not going to hit quote this time cause its getting too big.  Of course its a matter of opinion, but IMO the Fusion's dash is thicker, while the Mazda is slim and sporty.  The rest of the interior in the Mazda has an air of sportiness, while the Ford has plush seats.
I'm not going to argue about the dash, as I certainly agree that the 6's is sportier. But IMO nothing else about the 6's interior has an "air of sportiness", it just feels like a somewhat-small midsize sedan. And I've never had a chance to sample the Fusion/Milan's seats, so I'll have to take your word for the fact that they're softer if you have.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not going to hit quote this time cause its getting too big.  Of course its a matter of opinion, but IMO the Fusion's dash is thicker, while the Mazda is slim and sporty.  The rest of the interior in the Mazda has an air of sportiness, while the Ford has plush seats.
I'm not going to argue about the dash, as I certainly agree that the 6's is sportier. But IMO nothing else about the 6's interior has an "air of sportiness", it just feels like a somewhat-small midsize sedan. And I've never had a chance to sample the Fusion/Milan's seats, so I'll have to take your word for the fact that they're softer if you have.
I saw it at the NYIAS.  The seats I said looked more plush, but like you, I have never sat in one so I cant say for sure.  The Fusion looks plusher IMO.  You are welcome to totally disagree.  Its just my opinion that the Fusions looks plusher.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI'm not going to hit quote this time cause its getting too big.  Of course its a matter of opinion, but IMO the Fusion's dash is thicker, while the Mazda is slim and sporty.  The rest of the interior in the Mazda has an air of sportiness, while the Ford has plush seats.
I saw it at the NYIAS.  The seats I said looked more plush, but like you, I have never sat in one so I cant say for sure.  The Fusion looks plusher IMO.  You are welcome to totally disagree.  Its just my opinion that the Fusions looks plusher.
You can't come close to judging seats by looking at them, but you've had a closer look at the interior than I have (by a few hundred miles).

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not going to hit quote this time cause its getting too big.? Of course its a matter of opinion, but IMO the Fusion's dash is thicker, while the Mazda is slim and sporty.? The rest of the interior in the Mazda has an air of sportiness, while the Ford has plush seats.
You can't come close to judging seats by looking at them, but you've had a closer look at the interior than I have (by a few hundred miles).
Remeber, I believe I orginally said that the looked plush.  I think I can judge how they look by looking at them. B)  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Remeber, I believe I orginally said that the looked plush.  I think I can judge how they look by looking at them. B)
How it drives is going to be more important than how the seats look, though. Let's hope they didn't soften it up too much.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not going to hit quote this time cause its getting too big.? Of course its a matter of opinion, but IMO the Fusion's dash is thicker, while the Mazda is slim and sporty.? The rest of the interior in the Mazda has an air of sportiness, while the Ford has plush seats.
How it drives is going to be more important than how the seats look, though. Let's hope they didn't soften it up too much.
Agreed.  Lets hope it drives as well as it looks! :)  

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

You could argue that the cloth of the Mazda6 has a 'sportier' feel/appearance to it. It's ribbed and a little coarser than some. The inside is actually very roomy.  And access is WAY better than for my dad's '02 Taurus.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

You could argue that the cloth of the Mazda6 has a 'sportier' feel/appearance to it. It's ribbed and a little coarser than some. The inside is actually very roomy.  And access is WAY better than for my dad's '02 Taurus.
I've seen that in the 3, but not in the 6. A 2005 6i that I was in recently had standard plush cloth, virtually identical to the material found in cloth Accords. It certainly felt far from sporty, instead simply like any other base-model midsize sedan.

mazda6er

I've seen that in the 3, but not in the 6. A 2005 6i that I was in recently had standard plush cloth, virtually identical to the material found in cloth Accords. It certainly felt far from sporty, instead simply like any other base-model midsize sedan.
I own one, it's not just my screen-name.  :D  I believe they made some minor changes to the 6 after 2004. One of them being the seat fabric. So I guess we're both right it just depends on what model year you're talking about.

I can't find any damn pics to show you the difference, but trust me the earlier models did have coarser fabric. Almost like corduroy.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

What a stupid argument! I never particularly cared for the exterior styling of the 6 (too boy racer for a midsizer)  so if the Milan is nothing more than a rebodied 6 I will be plenty happy.

mazda6er

QuoteWhat a stupid argument! I never particularly cared for the exterior styling of the 6 (too boy racer for a midsizer)  so if the Milan is nothing more than a rebodied 6 I will be plenty happy.
I wasn't really arguing. I was just adding information that neither Dave nor ifcar may have, since I own a Mazda6. And just for future reference, I don't mind at all when someone says they think the 6 is ugly, it's just when they imply that it has no styling at all (i.e. derivative of any Japanese sedan) that I start wondering how much crack they're smoking.  Nothing against you, just venting from a previous C&D thread.  :)  
--Mark