DISLIKES:
Grip-challenged all-seasons
Driver?s seat could be better
No satellite radio or nav
OTHERS CONSIDERED:
Audi A4
Acura TSX
Mazda 6

With an emphasis on performance, smart looks, attention to detail and good ol? functionality, the Subaru Legacy GT has a German feel to it. So it?s not surprising that in scanning the significant number of owner responses to our AutoFile survey, a marque that jumps out repeatedly as having been in the running is Audi.

In their car-buying decisions, enthusiastic Legacy owners also looked at BMWs, Volkswagens, Saabs and Volvos. Yes, they considered other brands, too, but the comparisons to European makes is striking, if only that snobbier enthusiasts believe a car must be Euro-derived to even have character.

Whatever the case, the handsome Legacy deserves to hold its head high. Consider: a $30,000 family sedan loaded with amenities that is nothing short of thrilling in the speed department. At 5.23 seconds to 60 mph, our turbocharged Legacy Limited bests a host of sports cars we tested, including, surprisingly, the Audi S4?s 5.36 seconds Aug. 30, 2004.

Braking and handling per?formance, however, is less striking. This Legacy needs 133 feet to stop from 60 mph and only manages a top speed of 43.7 mph through our tight slalom course. The S4 handily beats the Legacy in both categories, at 122 feet and 46.4 mph, respectively.

As is usually the case, numbers are numbers, and as a rather annoying radio personality might say, here?s the rest of the story.

The Legacy exhibits almost no dive on braking, though traversing the skidpad produces a fair amount of body roll. Steering feel is direct, while the responsive brakes tend to be somewhat touchy. The shifter operates easily and feels well-gated.

This Legacy represents a significant upgrade from the previous model. Where the previous turbo engine had a rougher character felt through the steering wheel, shifter and even the dead pedal, this new motor runs smoothly, with almost no turbo lag. The short-throw five-speed manual is perfect for getting a good launch.

One editor says the Legacy drives like a WRX with class, sharp handling and a sleek style that makes it look like a much more expensive car. Staffers and owners alike say the car has a grown-up, mainstream look, and everyone agrees it?s a sleeper?that?s a good thing.

The interior is particularly well-appointed and a huge improvement over the previous Legacy. We especially like the bright graphics of the instrument gauges and the rear-seat pass-through to the trunk, though utility would be better served if the rear seats folded flat. Visibility is good all around, and the giant sunroof comes standard at this trim level. A couple of knocks on the driver?s seat if you?re on the tall side: It could use more rear travel, and the seat bottom cushion feels a little short.

Owners we heard from praised the Legacy for being quiet and for its good build quality, though we heard a couple of complaints about the car?s thin sheetmetal and substandard paint job. One owner says the color is good, but the paint is soft and swirly and chips easily. This we believe, as the orange peel on the long-term WRX we had was pretty bad.

Moreover, for all its premium ambitions, the Legacy could use a more refined climate control system. We had one owner say he is surprised this one made it to production. The blower has to be at full tilt to get the windshield cleared, and having hot air smacking you in the face doesn?t make for a happy driver. Subaru also needs to offer satellite radio if it wants to play at this level.

Overall, this Legacy is a big improvement over previous models, and it has helped to boost Subaru into a whole new league. Its combination of performance, poise, premium looks and utility is the stuff of much more expensive cars, and makes the Legacy a strong player in the sporty sedan segment.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Subaru body panels could definitely stand to be a bit thicker, I could dent our Outback with my bare hands if I wanted to.

BMWDave

QuoteSubaru body panels could definitely stand to be a bit thicker, I could dent our Outback with my bare hands if I wanted to.
Yea, also, the thunk of the doors when you close them is very chintzy.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteSubaru body panels could definitely stand to be a bit thicker, I could dent our Outback with my bare hands if I wanted to.
Yea, also, the thunk of the doors when you close them is very chintzy.
That is because Subaru doesn't put frames around the windows, it has nothing to do with build quality.  

Raghavan

why were they comparing it to an S4 in handling and braking? that's a sports car, and this is a family sedan.

Secret Chimp

What "previous turbo engine" are they talking about? As far as I know, this is the first available turbo on a Legacy.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

QuoteWhat "previous turbo engine" are they talking about? As far as I know, this is the first available turbo on a Legacy.
It may just be the first one in the US.  

mazda6er

I'm flattered to see the Mazda6 among the "others considered", but quite frankly it doesn't belong in this class, unless they tested the Mazdaspeed version, in which case the TSX and A4 don't belong in this class...
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Fire It Up

Quotewhy were they comparing it to an S4 in handling and braking? that's a sports car, and this is a family sedan.
Because they compared acceleration too.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raghavan

Quotewhy were they comparing it to an S4 in handling and braking? that's a sports car, and this is a family sedan.
Because they compared acceleration too.
but it's implied that it'll handle better. everyone knows that.

TBR

QuoteWhat "previous turbo engine" are they talking about? As far as I know, this is the first available turbo on a Legacy.
Actually, that isn't true. There was a Legacy Sports Sedan with a turboed H4 making something like 150hp in the early '90s, but there was also one for each of the two generations after that, we just never got them. And, the S4 isn't a sports car, it is a sports sedan.  

Raghavan

Actually, that isn't true. There was a Legacy Sports Sedan with a turboed H4 making something like 150hp in the early '90s, but there was also one for each of the two generations after that, we just never got them. And, the S4 isn't a sports car, it is a sports sedan.
i'm just taking what they said.
"our turbocharged Legacy Limited bests a host of sports cars we tested, including, surprisingly, the Audi S4"

TBR

"our turbocharged Legacy Limited bests a host of sports cars we tested, including, surprisingly, the Audi S4"
They were inaccurate to call the S4 a sports car, it has 4 doors and sports cars only have 2.

Raghavan

They were inaccurate to call the S4 a sports car, it has 4 doors and sports cars only have 2.
so a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ-400 isn't a sports car because it has 2 extra doors? that's sort of dumb.

TBR

It is a sports sedan, and it isn't dumb, it makes sense.  

Raghavan

QuoteIt is a sports sedan, and it isn't dumb, it makes sense.
big difference. I'd call superb handling (over 70 mph in the slalom) and a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds a supercar, and you don't even think it's a sports car.

TBR

big difference. I'd call superb handling (over 70 mph in the slalom) and a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds a supercar, and you don't even think it's a sports car.
You ask every person on this board whether or not a sports car can have 4 doors and I bet you will find that everyone else disagrees with you also.  

Raghavan

You ask every person on this board whether or not a sports car can have 4 doors and I bet you will find that everyone else disagrees with you also.
just because a car has 4 doors, it's automatically not a sports car? i don't see why not. it just sounds silly, just like you're saying that AWD makes a car automatically a GT.

TBR

just because a car has 4 doors, it's automatically not a sports car? i don't see why not. it just sounds silly, just like you're saying that AWD makes a car automatically a GT.
AWD added to a FWD car would change that cars status to sports car, but since it doesn't improve the handling of a RWD car it would make that car a GT.

By definition sports cars have two doors, look it up in an encylopedia if you want.

ifcar

"While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Raghavan

Quote"While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car
Ha! it says MOST, not ALL. i win.

TBR

No you don't,the common definition of a sports car is a coupe with a high level of performance and the common definition of a sports sedan is a sedan with a high level of performance, making the Evolution a sports sedan.

ifcar

QuoteNo you don't,the common definition of a sports car is a coupe with a high level of performance and the common definition of a sports sedan is a sedan with a high level of performance, making the Evolution a sports sedan.
I posted a quote from an encyclopedia. Obviously the definition has changed to include new sporty sedans.

Fire It Up

Wait, how many liters? 2.0, 2.2, or 2.5? Was it rare? Manual?

TBR

Wait, how many liters? 2.0, 2.2, or 2.5? Was it rare? Manual?
Very rare, a manual was available and I believe it was a 2.0l.  

Fire It Up

Secret Chimp

Oh right, I forgot about the earlier B4.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

QuoteWas it one of those ugly ones?
Yes, it was one of the blocky ones.  

TBR

Oops, it was a 2.2l:
"1991 Subaru Legacy: The Legacy Sport Sedan and the LSi luxury sedans join the L and LS models introduced last year. The Sport Sedan has exclusive use of a new 160-horsepower turbocharged version of the 130-horsepower 2.2-liter flat-4 that's standard on other Legacys. The sport sedan also comes with permanently engaged 4-wheel drive."
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/re...rreviewshowall/

Raza

so a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ-400 isn't a sports car because it has 2 extra doors? that's sort of dumb.
Are you not a woman because you have external genitalia?

Not being a sports car is not an insult...it's the definition.  A red car is not a blue car--it's red.  A car that has 4 doors is not a sports car.  A sports car has to have two doors, two seats, rear wheel drive, and be designed as a convertible or open top vehicle.  The Honda S2000 is, the Porsche 911 is not.  The MX-5 is, the Evo is not.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.