Wife gets first ticket, upstate NY - advice?

Started by Maxxum, January 08, 2008, 05:13:31 AM

Maxxum

She was clocked going 82 in a 65 (interstate).  :devil: She has a NY license and apparently they do it a little differently there. He gave her some paperwork and said that the court will decide the amount of fine. He wrote radar speed 82mph and visual estimate 80mph. I'm not sure they do that in NJ. But whatever. I checked the website and for being 10-20mph over it says 4 points. Now these seem to be the options:
1) Pay by mail, leave the points and maybe take safe driving course that will take away the points.
2) Go to court and hope the officer does not show up. She is unlikely to do so as this is her first ticket and she won't go without me.
3) Get a lawyer and have it converted to a non-moving offense. This is the costliest option. But is it worth it? She talked to some lawyers and they scared her. Some said it will be at least 6 points, some said her license may be revoked for being 17 over the limit. Any truth to the second concern? I wouldn't think that for someone getting their first ticket in 5 yrs of driving, 4 points would lead to a license suspension/revocation. But I don't know about NY. Any residents that can comment?
4) Does writing a letter along with sending the court-decided fine saying that this was a first offense and happened while she was trying to pass someone help? On I-81 no one including me usually does less than 80 but the mice need to keep an eye out for the cat. Sometimes you just get done in...its the law of averages. Apparently everyone was going at that speed but it is not a valid argument.
I must say so far I have been lucky as on a couple of occasions I was too late to see the trooper and found myself doing 85 but they did not pursue me, so maybe they weren't clocking at that particular time. Gotta be careful. She is very upset at her first ticket. Sucks...
How much would the insurance go up in such a case...anyone know?
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

Rich

Quote from: Maxxum on January 08, 2008, 05:13:31 AM
She was clocked going 82 in a 65 (interstate).  On I-81 no one including me usually does less than 80 but the mice need to keep an eye out for the cat.

I drive I 81 a lot at 7 or 8 over and I still pass a lot of people with that speed.  It isn't hard and it isn't going to cause you bodily harm to go less than 80 :huh: :ohyeah:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

11-20 over is only a 4 point offense and you need 11 points in total to get your license suspended.  The only way speeding alone will result in a suspension on a clean license is if you are on a junior license or you are going 40+ over the limit.  Even if they added reckless driving on top of speeding she wouldn't have enough points to result in a suspension.  I wouldn't worry too much about her license being suspended.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sparkplug

It's hard to believe in a state where everybody drives 85mph bumper to bumper that they would revoke her license. More like capital punishment. Just kidding.

In fact, I would never believe anything a lawyer says. It would be better to talk to a judge .

Since I'm such a nice guy, Hehehehe. Click this link to the ny motor vehicle department.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points

Good luck.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

mazda6er

Like the guys have said, there is no way her license would be revoked for that assuming she has a relatively clean record. I just got ticketed in upstate NY (where I live) for 50 in a 35 and I can tell you the best thing to do is show up to court. Just simply show up. If it works the same way in the town she got pulled over in as it does in mine, you'll get offered the chance to plea guilty to a lesser offense (failure to obey a traffic device, 2 pts, is what I got - and took) more likely than not.

I mailed in my plea of not guilty and in about 3 - 4 months, I was told to appear in court, along with about 60 other "defendants" and we got processed rapid fire, with nearly everyone being bargained down just because we showed up, no arguing necessary. Ended up with about $150 damage in county and court fees and 2 points on my license. Then I took the "NYS Safe Driving Course" , which is 6 hours, but wipes 4 points off your license, and saves you 10% on you auto insurance.

So, overall it's not too horrible. Good luck!
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

MX793

I knew a guy who got tagged for doing 85 on I-90 and somehow got his speeding ticket turned into a parking ticket.  No points, just pay the fine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

Check in with L. Ed. Foote.  He has plenty of experience with upstate NY procedures.  :lol:

Maxxum

Quote from: mazda6er on January 08, 2008, 06:31:11 PM
I mailed in my plea of not guilty and in about 3 - 4 months,
so you need to plead not-guilty? how do you defend that? you cannot say you were not speeding! Forgive my lack of knowledge about the procedure.
(\__/)     
(")_(")

Maxxum

Quote from: HotRodPilot on January 08, 2008, 08:43:44 AM
I drive I 81 a lot at 7 or 8 over and I still pass a lot of people with that speed.  It isn't hard and it isn't going to cause you bodily harm to go less than 80 :huh: :ohyeah:
That would be 73-74, which is what I try to stick to in NJ where they are more strict. Upstate is more liberal but I still set my cruise control a tad below 80. However, on your day, you can be caught for 79, it is not like it is not a "ticketable" speed.
(\__/)     
(")_(")

The Pirate

If her driving record is clean, and you don't want the hassle of going to court, here's what you do:

Plead guilty on the ticket and send it back.  With the ticket, write a letter to the DA or town justice.  Admit guilt, state that it was a momentary lapse and you are normally very cognizant of speed limits.  State that you have no problems paying a fine, as you know you broke a law.  Ask for the fine to be reduced to a lesser charge, as you are concerned about insurance rates going up.  Reiterate your guilt and that it was a momentary lapse, and thank them for their time.

This usually works well (assuming her driving record is clean and she wasn't dickish to the ticketing officer), and they will probably offer a seatbelt citation or failure to obey a traffic control device (0 points on the former and 3 on the latter). 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

mazda6er

Quote from: Maxxum on January 08, 2008, 09:48:57 PM
so you need to plead not-guilty? how do you defend that? you cannot say you were not speeding! Forgive my lack of knowledge about the procedure.
Sure you can! haha, it's easy: "I was not speeding." Try it out!  :tounge:

In all seriousness, you could plead not guilty for a whole lot of reasons. I chose to plead not guilty because I felt that I was actually traveling less than 50. Still speeding, yes, but less than 50. That said, you don't really even need a reason to plead not guilty. All it says is that you'd rather take the time to try your luck in court than save yourself a random tuesday (or whatever day) morning and pay a heftier fine.

But yes, pleading not guilty is key. Plead guilty and you'll get a bill in the mail. :lol:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Quote from: The Pirate on January 08, 2008, 09:56:49 PM
If her driving record is clean, and you don't want the hassle of going to court, here's what you do:

Plead guilty on the ticket and send it back.  With the ticket, write a letter to the DA or town justice.  Admit guilt, state that it was a momentary lapse and you are normally very cognizant of speed limits.  State that you have no problems paying a fine, as you know you broke a law.  Ask for the fine to be reduced to a lesser charge, as you are concerned about insurance rates going up.  Reiterate your guilt and that it was a momentary lapse, and thank them for their time.

This usually works well (assuming her driving record is clean and she wasn't dickish to the ticketing officer), and they will probably offer a seatbelt citation or failure to obey a traffic control device (0 points on the former and 3 on the latter). 

Has that actually worked for people you know directly...or yourself?  :confused:
--Mark

The Pirate

Quote from: mazda6er on January 08, 2008, 11:03:02 PM
Has that actually worked for people you know directly...or yourself?  :confused:

It's worked for me every time I've tried it (couple of times), and I've also told my brother and one or two other people to do it when they got tickets.  It worked, everybody got a reduction.

Need to have a clean driving record though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Maxxum on January 08, 2008, 09:48:57 PM

Always plead not guilty to the original charge. You'll likely be able to bergain down to where you plead guilty to a lesser charge. In many states, 5 MPH over the limit on a limited access highway is a zero points offense, but you still pay a fine. On a good day you can even plead down to obstructing, which is an even smaller fine...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Maxxum on January 08, 2008, 05:13:31 AM
She was clocked going 82 in a 65 (interstate).  :devil: She has a NY license and apparently they do it a little differently there. He gave her some paperwork and said that the court will decide the amount of fine. He wrote radar speed 82mph and visual estimate 80mph. I'm not sure they do that in NJ. But whatever. I checked the website and for being 10-20mph over it says 4 points. Now these seem to be the options:
1) Pay by mail, leave the points and maybe take safe driving course that will take away the points.
2) Go to court and hope the officer does not show up. She is unlikely to do so as this is her first ticket and she won't go without me.
3) Get a lawyer and have it converted to a non-moving offense. This is the costliest option. But is it worth it? She talked to some lawyers and they scared her. Some said it will be at least 6 points, some said her license may be revoked for being 17 over the limit. Any truth to the second concern? I wouldn't think that for someone getting their first ticket in 5 yrs of driving, 4 points would lead to a license suspension/revocation. But I don't know about NY. Any residents that can comment?
4) Does writing a letter along with sending the court-decided fine saying that this was a first offense and happened while she was trying to pass someone help? On I-81 no one including me usually does less than 80 but the mice need to keep an eye out for the cat. Sometimes you just get done in...its the law of averages. Apparently everyone was going at that speed but it is not a valid argument.
I must say so far I have been lucky as on a couple of occasions I was too late to see the trooper and found myself doing 85 but they did not pursue me, so maybe they weren't clocking at that particular time. Gotta be careful. She is very upset at her first ticket. Sucks...
How much would the insurance go up in such a case...anyone know?

Maxxum, I don't think I can add anything the others haven't.  The Pirate (Adam) is obviously very experienced with this issue.  :lol:

Tell her not to worry too much.  This is a nothing ticket.  Whatever happens with it, life goes on.  You have to laugh at these things.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Maxxum

So she found out that she can apparently get a lawyer from their workplace and they made her feel better. They said she doesn't need to do anything and they will get it reduced to a non moving violation. So my lady is the worrying-type, especially when I am not around. So I was hoping she gets over this soon. The total cost will be around 400 bucks which IMO is a little high but I can't expect her to go to court alone and fight it. We'll find out in a few weeks if all goes well. When she moves out of NY hopefully this year, then she gets a new license so any points would not have carried over anyway right?
(\__/)     
(")_(")

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Maxxum on January 11, 2008, 01:08:22 PM
So she found out that she can apparently get a lawyer from their workplace and they made her feel better. They said she doesn't need to do anything and they will get it reduced to a non moving violation. So my lady is the worrying-type, especially when I am not around. So I was hoping she gets over this soon. The total cost will be around 400 bucks which IMO is a little high but I can't expect her to go to court alone and fight it. We'll find out in a few weeks if all goes well. When she moves out of NY hopefully this year, then she gets a new license so any points would not have carried over anyway right?

Only if she moves to Michigan or Minnesota...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Maxxum on January 11, 2008, 01:08:22 PM

That depends upon the state.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Lots of people I know, including myself, had points on their licenses for extended periods of time.  It's no big deal, as long as it's not enough points to cost you your license.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

BENZ BOY15

To me, that seems kinda odd she was pulled over for doing 80 on an interstate. In Socal, its either a parking lot or AT LEAST 80 on the 5. I was doing around 90 going to downtown L.A and I was getting PASSED! By soccer moms no less! And there was cops driving right along with everyone going 90+.

I think the east coast just has it wrong when it comes to driving quickly. The speed limits are, what, 45 or 55 at the most in CT?! What a bunch of crap. My aunt got a $150 (maybe more) for going 10MPH over the speed limit in New Haven! And this was 68MPH.

In SoCal, at 68MPH, you'll get rear ended and/or induce road rage.

TurboDan

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 13, 2008, 01:38:21 AM
To me, that seems kinda odd she was pulled over for doing 80 on an interstate. In Socal, its either a parking lot or AT LEAST 80 on the 5. I was doing around 90 going to downtown L.A and I was getting PASSED! By soccer moms no less! And there was cops driving right along with everyone going 90+.

I think the east coast just has it wrong when it comes to driving quickly. The speed limits are, what, 45 or 55 at the most in CT?! What a bunch of crap. My aunt got a $150 (maybe more) for going 10MPH over the speed limit in New Haven! And this was 68MPH.

Sounds like NJ.  You'll usually be fine going with traffic well into the 80s.

Raza

When I got my first ticket in PA, other people with speeding in excess of less than 25mph who contested were given no-points 5 over violations.  I was given a 6 over for 35 over/double the speed limit.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 13, 2008, 01:38:21 AM

Speed limits are typically lower in the east than out west, in part due to older roads that simply can't handle such high speed travel.  And, as memory serves, interstates out west very often have more than 2 lanes in each direction.  Interstates in upstate NY are primarily 4 lane (2 each way), with some perhaps having 6 for very short stretches.

As a general rule in upstate NY, if you keep it under 75, the cops won't bother you and you'll certainly be keeping up with traffic.  I run 80 miles a day on I-90 with the cruise set on ~74 and the number of cars that sail by me at 80+ are relatively few.  In fact, I'd say I pass more vehicles than there are that pass me, and typically vehicles that pass me are still going under 80.
Needs more Jiggawatts

BENZ BOY15

TheIntrepid

How does that have anything to do with upstate NY?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Soup DeVille

I think that pic is supposed to show HOV lanes being added onto an existing highway.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2008, 08:36:57 PM
I think that pic is supposed to show HOV lanes being added onto an existing highway.

......and to show how real freeways are supposed to look like, not the 2 or 3 lane bullcrap you get in new england.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 15, 2008, 04:15:37 AM
......and to show how real freeways are supposed to look like, not the 2 or 3 lane bullcrap you get in new england.

Hey there, our highways are historical! And the two-lane highways that don't allow commercial vehicles are excellent.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 15, 2008, 05:17:28 PM

Hey there, our highways are historical! And the two-lane highways that don't allow commercial vehicles are excellent.

The Merit (sp?) parkway is my favorite, a very nice drive....much more pleasant than the I95 when driving between Darien and New Haven. Except for the off ramps! The shortest off ramps in the nation, you turn so sharply to the right, it's almost impossible.

Also, what's with the semis that tailgate on the 95?! They get so close to you, it's actually scary.

James Young

For those who care, Benz Boy15's picture of the freeways is in San Diego.  I just drove down there for the SD-Tennessee game last week.  Between Temecula and the 56 (Ted Williams) on the 15, traffic was running 90+.  Life is sweet.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

the nameless one

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 15, 2008, 04:15:37 AM
All of that concrete is absolutely ugly.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*