Van Repairs

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 11, 2008, 11:13:58 AM

AutobahnSHO

The wife just wrote me:
"Dodge just called. The van is going to cost $3000 ($200 more than anticipated, and that's not fixing the window motor but it IS fixing the brake something or other that they said was in desperate need of repair, to the point they won't let me take it without it being fixed--it's the reason there's been so much play in the brake pedal) and they DIDN'T EVEN START IT UNTIL 11 AM TODAY!!!  (even though they've had it since 8 am yesterday, and I made an appointment, so it's not like I just showed up with it and they weren't expecting it).  So, I won't get it back until Monday night which means 3 more days with a rental, which means $200 more in rental fees ( on top of the $130 we already were going to have to pay for yesterday and today).  I would have rented the economy for $29 a day, but they didn't have one where you can turn off the airbag, so Ben couldn't sit in the front and there are only 2 seatbelts in the back.  They were out of midsize, so I had to take a van.  They did give me a discount because they're run by Laurel dodge, so we're paying $45 a day.  The insurance is $20 a day on top of that.  Normally they rent the vans for $79 a day, not counting insurance.
So, we'll be carrying a small (under $400) credit card debt just until payday.

So, I'll use a small amount of tax money to get the window fixed.  I'll also ask about getting the grill fixed (they also run a body shop up the road where the rental car place is).  If it's more than $200 I won't bother.  I'll also get the remote lock done if you want.  Oh, and if I get the grill fixed, they'll steam the interior carpets and upholstery for $50.  Then we'll have a pretty nice van (until the transmission goes :| ).  I appreciate the van a little more after driving this rental (also a caravan).  It's a lot newer, but has very few extras.  I never realized how much I like the power seat, auto-down window (it has power windows, but you have to hold it down the whole time) and dual climate control.  I miss them.  Plus, it's a short bus.  I can't go anywhere with the stroller and Amelia's feet are scrunched up behind me.  Oh, and the worst part of all is that it has a bench center seat like the grey van.  I'll never, ever get a van without captains seats in the middle row."

-----------------------------------
I won't have time to work on our van when I get back- as soon as I get home we're moving to Georgia. I got a big re-enlistment bonus, so I told her to get the van all fixed up.

This figure is for
-a new evaporator and a/c recharge
-replace the heater tubes for the rear heater (they're starting to leak antifreeze)
-oil gasket on the front end (of the motor)
-I guess brake work (pads and rotors are ok, the pedal has been mushy since we bought it a year ago, I bled the brakes myself to try to fix that, I asked them to look at the brakes when I left home last May they said they were fine..)

THOUGHTS?
Will

AutobahnSHO

PS-
Here's what I replied:

Talk to the manager- tell them you had an appointment and you want the money you paid on the rental knocked off the price because they sat on it for a day.

I'm cool with getting a remote for the locks. Just get one- then we can buy another for 1/4 of the price and program it ourselves. Unless there's something broken in the system, then don't bother.  (I was quoted $35 for the keyfob, $35 to program it)

You can get interior steaming done for $50 or cheaper anyways. Or even rent one that has a handle on a hose..
Will

AutobahnSHO

PSS-
I meant just knock one day of rental car off the final repair bill.

And the "Window" issue is that the passenger side front window motor needs to be replaced.
Will

AutobahnSHOsWife

He forgot to add sway bushings and tie rods to the list of repairs being done for that price.

;)

ifcar

"I would have rented the economy for $29 a day, but they didn't have one where you can turn off the airbag, so Ben couldn't sit in the front and there are only 2 seatbelts in the back. "

I can't think of anything in the economy class without five seatbelts. What cars did they have?

Danish

All I can say is.... thanks Will  :ohyeah:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

AutobahnSHOsWife

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2008, 12:03:48 PM

I can't think of anything in the economy class without five seatbelts. What cars did they have?

I don't know.  Maybe I mean compact rather than economy. (I'm clueless about cars). When I say economy, I mean the cheapest they have. They said they had 2 cars and 2 vans available.  The two cars only had 2 seat belts in back.  It was through Enterprise, so whatever they rent...

ifcar

There wasn't even a center lap belt? Were the cars 4-doors?

AutobahnSHOsWife

I didn't see the cars.  I said I wanted the cheapest car they had that could either seat three in the back, or that had the option of turning off the front passenger airbag. 

If I got taken, I don't even want to know at this point.  I already feel like I've been robbed.   :banghead:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: AutobahnSHOsWife on January 11, 2008, 12:11:39 PM
I don't know.  Maybe I mean compact rather than economy. (I'm clueless about cars). When I say economy, I mean the cheapest they have. They said they had 2 cars and 2 vans available.  The two cars only had 2 seat belts in back.  It was through Enterprise, so whatever they rent...

Welcome to the forum, Mrs SHO!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TBR

Quote from: AutobahnSHOsWife on January 11, 2008, 12:20:43 PM
I didn't see the cars.  I said I wanted the cheapest car they had that could either seat three in the back, or that had the option of turning off the front passenger airbag. 

If I got taken, I don't even want to know at this point.  I already feel like I've been robbed.   :banghead:

In the e-mail you mentioned the rental place was run by the dealer, does Laurel Dodge have any other brands other than Dodge? If not, then the economy model was problem a Caliber or maybe a Neon. No matter what, pretty much any car with a back seat, other than a few 2 doors, is going to have 3 back belts. I think you got taken.

AutobahnSHO

Hello All-

The issue with the rental is that we have 3 kids, two are in fullsize carseats.
Two carseats and one 8yr old (Benjamin) don't fit in ANY backseat very well.

So she wanted something in which Ben doesn't have to sit with the 2 carseats.
ie front seat (w/ airbag turned off) but ended up in the minivan..

---------------------------------------------------

I should have clarified that I'm asking about the REPAIRS, not the rental car.

Am I justified in asking for a day of rental car knocked off the repair price?
Are the rest of the charges reasonable?

Thanks!
Will

The Pirate

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 11, 2008, 09:06:58 PM
Hello All-

The issue with the rental is that we have 3 kids, two are in fullsize carseats.
Two carseats and one 8yr old (Benjamin) don't fit in ANY backseat very well.

So she wanted something in which Ben doesn't have to sit with the 2 carseats.
ie front seat (w/ airbag turned off) but ended up in the minivan..

---------------------------------------------------

I should have clarified that I'm asking about the REPAIRS, not the rental car.

Am I justified in asking for a day of rental car knocked off the repair price?
Are the rest of the charges reasonable?

Thanks!

Oh yes, definitely ask for that day to be comp'd.  Considering the dealership also does the rental, I'd have absolutely no problem demanding a kickback.  Should they balk, I'd take the car back and take it somewhere else for repairs (nicely, of course).

And what needs to be done to the brakes exactly?

Edit:  Hope all is well, AutobahnSHO.  You're going to use some of that re-enlistment money for a new mountain bike, right?  :devil: :tounge:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AutobahnSHO

----------------- (Never mind that, I missed part of the wife's post.)

And my HUGE bonus is spent already- it will pay for the van repairs, and already paid for a laptop, wii, great vacation to NC in Nov, Christmas, student loans, etc...

In other words, charged stuff.   :-(
At least we only have a tiny bit more to pay off.  (yay!)

After we get to GA I hope for a bike (maybe a road bike given the highways in that area and the lack of any good mtn bike riding?) and a car to replace the grey minivan.. 

The wife's eying renting a house somewhere instead of Army housing too..
Will

Secret Chimp

If this is costing you so much, just live in the van down by the river.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 11, 2008, 10:38:35 PM
If this is costing you so much, just live in the van down by the river.
LOL
We only paid $4500 for it Mar06- almost fully loaded with 126k miles on it. After these repairs and the mileage (140k) it will bluebook at $4455..

Sure these repairs are kinda expensive, it would have cost a quarter of that if I were home and able to do most of it though. Still works out better than buying a much more expensive vehicle-

Figuring in the repairs, purchase price, and keeping it until Mar '09, that comes out to be about $210 per month, much better than most car loans.
-Keep it another year and it's $156/month. 
-Or if we sold it for $4k right now, I'd figure that it had cost us about $145/month..
(Minus oil changes and similar minor maintenance.)

Will

MrH

Master cylinder problems perhaps?  I'd imagine that'd be an expensive brake problem that'd cause inconsistent brake feel.

I'd just like to point out Mrs. SHO's avatar.  :thumbsup:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 12, 2008, 04:07:58 PM
Master cylinder problems perhaps?  I'd imagine that'd be an expensive brake problem that'd cause inconsistent brake feel.

I'd just like to point out Mrs. SHO's avatar.  :thumbsup:
Nice!
It wasn't there yesterday.

And the brake feel has ALWAYS been Consitent-
REALLY REALLY SOFT and MUSHY.

In panic stops it feels like the pedal is on the floor.
Modulation is pretty good that way though... ?!
Will

S204STi

Sorry to hear about your repair woes, folks.  Did you get the dealer to eat some of the rental cost since they were inconsiderate enough to push your repair back a day and a half?

AutobahnSHOsWife

Yes--brake cylinder!!  I forgot about 2 seconds after he told me, but that's what it is.  They're charging $274 for parts and $250 labor for that alone.

I haven't had a chance to ask about knocking one day's rental off the price.  I figure it's better to annoy them after they finish the work.  ;)

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHOsWife on January 13, 2008, 08:38:16 PM
Yes--brake cylinder!!  I forgot about 2 seconds after he told me, but that's what it is.  They're charging $274 for parts and $250 labor for that alone.

I haven't had a chance to ask about knocking one day's rental off the price.  I figure it's better to annoy them after they finish the work.  ;)

It's probably buried under the cowl.  Plus, they have to bleed the brakes afterwards.  It should however fix your pedal issues, and make it a safer vehicle to drive.

TBR

That's steep, though I guess between dealer labor and parts prices and the small engine compartment of a minivan it makes sense. It cost me under $200 to get a rebuilt master cylinder put in by an independent mechanic.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on January 13, 2008, 08:43:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your repair woes, folks.  Did you get the dealer to eat some of the rental cost since they were inconsiderate enough to push your repair back a day and a half?
It wasn't supposed to be done before Monday.
I'm just upset that I specifically asked Dodge to look at the brakes in April before I left..

Otherwise this is what you get buying used vehicles- and I've come to expect it. After these repairs though we should be good for 2-3 years on most of this major stuff.

I changed the tranny fluid/filter last year and everything seemed ok, so I hope we're good there for a while....
Will

S204STi

If it makes you feel better, my father changed his transmission fluid religiously with Amsoil ATF, and it just asploded on him last month with 130,000 miles on his Astro...  :lol:  Stuff happens, it's part of owning a car.

AutobahnSHO

umm-   Thanks?!?

I'm hoping to NOT have to do any tranny replacements in the next year or two. The 92Van is on the original at 120k miles, but I hope to sell it by summer and get a Volvo wagon or a Subie or something. (Although I'll be in Georgia, the Subie isn't really practical for weather vs. gas mileage- most people drive RWD there...)
Will

S204STi

Get a used Focus SVT. They run pretty cheap these days IIRC, and the Focus chassis is wonderful.  Add to that the availability of superchargers in the aftermarket, and you could have a real screamer.  Plus it's good at the pump.

Raza

Or just a Focus ZXW if you need space and don't care to drive something sportier.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Is this the '93 or the '99?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

AutobahnSHOsWife

So, I picked up the van tonight. 

They did knock $300 off the price they quoted, so we paid about $2600 for the repairs.

BUT they lost both of our carseat locking clips (don't know why they were messing with the back seat seatbelts...), the brake pedal is way worse than before (I now have to stomp it all the way to the floor to stop) and the brake lights are now stuck on. 

So, the van is sitting in the garage with the battery unplugged so it doesn't die overnight, and I get to take it back in first thing tomorrow.   :cry: