First Drive: 2006 Saab SportCombi

Started by BMWDave, July 12, 2005, 05:16:57 AM

BMWDave

Link

Sport Waggin'
By Dan Kahn
Date posted: 07-11-2005

Saab's newest wagon, the 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi, isn't going to set any sales records, and Saab knows it. Instead, the Swedish manufacturer, which is known for building fun-to-drive cars that are a little different than the typical BMW or Audi, hopes the wagon will introduce the brand to a younger demographic in California and the Northeast.

We think it will. The front-wheel-drive Saab 9-3 SportCombi packs performance, practicality and a load of safety gear in an attractive package. Plus it will cost thousands less than the Audi A4 Avant. Well-equipped four-cylinder models will start at $26,900, and a loaded 2.5 Aero will sticker at $32,900.

Not Just a 9-3 Sedan
The SportCombi is not just a 9-3 sedan with extra sheet metal. The car is all-new from the B-pillar back. The new roofline tapers down like the roof on the Dodge Magnum and the B- and C-pillars are blacked out to create a teardrop shape. We also like the way the standard Saab hockey stick swoosh is smoothly incorporated into the D-pillar.

Although the tailgate is made out of aluminum to keep weight gain to a minimum, Saab says the SportCombi is still 400 pounds heavier than its sedan counterpart. This certainly hinders the wagon's acceleration, but most of that mass is behind the rear wheels, which actually helps balance the weight distribution.

Saab also says the SportCombi's structure is 6-percent less rigid than the sedans, but it felt as tight as any sedan we've ever driven.

Gobbles Asphalt
Like the 9-3 sedan, the SportCombi rides on a MacPherson Strut front and four-link independent rear suspension. ReAxs, which is a passive rear steering system used on the 9-3 sedan, has also been carried over to the SportCombi. It allows the rear wheels to turn slightly when the car is thrown into a corner at high speed, increasing lateral grip and stability.

All SportCombis also come with traction and stability control, four-wheel antilock disc brakes, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and 225/45R17 tires. Options on the Aero model include stiffer sport suspension and an 18-inch alloy wheel upgrade with R-compound 225-series tires.

We carved up a few Swedish back roads in an Aero model with a manual transmission, and the hunkered-down wagon gobbled up asphalt. The ride is sporty, but not jarring, the steering offers excellent feedback, and the ReAxs system works transparently to give the SportCombi a glued-to-the-ground feel in high-speed sweepers.

The Saab's brakes feel good, too. The pedal is firm yet progressive, nose dive is minimal, and we didn't detect any ABS vibration or brake fade over several repeated hard stops.

Swedish Muscle
Standard and midrange SportCombis come standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged aluminum inline four that makes 210 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque.

The Aero, however, is powered by a modified version of Cadillac's all-aluminum 2.8-liter V6. If that sounds weird you've forgotten that Saab and Cadillac are both in GM's stable. Saab's engineers bolted a twin-scroll turbocharger to it, changed the pistons for added durability and revised the cylinder head design for improved heat resistance. As a result, the Saab makes 40 more horsepower than the Caddy (250 vs. 210).

The V6 also gets Saab's first dual exhaust, and the sound is pitch perfect.

While horsepower numbers impress your friends, torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants, and the V6 has lots of it. The engine pumps out 258 lb-ft from 2,000 to 4,500 rpm, which makes it a member of the flat torque curve club. Most amazing, however, is that the SportCombi puts that power to the pavement without any torque steer.

Two six-speed transmissions are available, a sport-shift automatic and a manual. Although the auto gearbox shifts were firm and precise, the manual transmission is much more entertaining despite its less-than-precise shifter.

The SportCombi feels fast. We don't doubt the company's claim of zero to 60 in the high 7s for the Aero. In comparison, we recently tested a 2005 Audi A4 Avant equipped with a 3.2-liter V6, and it ran zero to 60 in 7.9 seconds.

On the Inside
The SportCombi's interior is a study in Swedish minimalist design. Every surface is covered in leather or soft-touch material, and muted colors accented with occasional bits of brushed aluminum lend a subtle, classy look.

The Aero model has full power driver and passenger seats, as well as one-touch up and down windows on all four doors. Headroom is plentiful and the bolstered bucket seats are comfortable and supportive. There's also a full complement of front, head and side-impact airbags, which come standard.

In a rare concession to the lefties of the world, the SportCombi's rear hatch has handles on either side so it's easy to open for both right- and left-handed drivers. Open the hatch and the SportCombi offers 14.8 cubic feet of storage space with the backseat up, and 45 cubic feet with the 60/40-split rear bench seat folded flat.

Those numbers fall short when compared to the BMW 3 Series wagon, but the Bimmer is without the Saab's unique rear package tray, which incorporates a twin-floor system that folds up for two-level storage behind the backseat.

The Right Combi
In 1973 Saab introduced its first hatchback and called it the CombiCoupe. According to Saab, Combi meant the car offered the right combination of style and practicality. This fun-to-drive wagon not only takes its name from that little three-door, but also pays homage to that same solid combination.

The '06 SportCombi will hit dealerships in mid-September.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThis thing looks kick ass!
I agree...its one of the best looking wagons out there.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Thats a nice interior B)

The RPM guage is very BMW-like though, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

I hate those clear taillights with a passion. They ruin an otherwise perfect car. That and the stupid name (get over yourselves Saab: it's just a wagon).

93JC

QuoteThe RPM guage
The tachometer... ?

:lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteThe RPM guage
The tachometer... ?

I went to sleep very late last night :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteI hate those clear taillights with a passion. They ruin an otherwise perfect car. That and the stupid name (get over yourselves Saab: it's just a wagon).
I read in a canadian driver review that you (canadians) might not be getting the clear taillights.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

93JC

BMWDave

QuoteThey gonna call it 'Wagon' too?
No, I think it will still be a Sport Combi ;)

Anyway, here is the canadian review:

Heres a review by Canadian Driver

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteThe RPM guage
The tachometer... ?

I went to sleep very late last night :lol:
Rev counter?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I would have liked to have seen the traditional Saab fastback, but this wagon certainly looks nice.

I love the 9-3, but for the price, there are many other better cars out there.

Raghavan

the name and the taillights looks pretty fugly, but that steering wheel is the best that i've ever seen. :praise:

Raza

QuoteI would have liked to have seen the traditional Saab fastback, but this wagon certainly looks nice.

As far as front drivers go, no one makes them better than Saab.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

do you think it's possible to steal that steering wheel?

280Z Turbo

QuoteI would have liked to have seen the traditional Saab fastback, but this wagon certainly looks nice.

As far as front drivers go, no one makes them better than Saab.
Right, but for the price of a Saab you could go ahead and get a RWD sport sedan  such as a Bimmer 3er or G35.

280Z Turbo

I'm sure they've improved since the 80's, but I wasn't impressed with my 9000 turbo. The brakes were so-so (My Z's brakes feel better), it torque steered, the acceleration was so-so, the shifter was very vague and rubbery (so rubbery that it literally squeeked), and it had a SOLID BEAM rear axle. It just felt bulky and soft. The engine leaked fluids and it had tons of electrical issues. The interior reminded me of a 80's GM car. Then of course, the transaxle died.

And yet...I miss that car. I kept the shifter ball as a keepsake. I want another Saab. :wub:  :rolleyes:

93JC

Quotethat steering wheel is the best that i've ever seen. :praise:
You have really bad taste then. ( ;) :P )

The plastic faux metal inserts on the steering wheel make it one of the tackiest steering wheels I've ever seen.

ifcar

I don't think that metal or plastic metal-look trim is a good material for a steering wheel grip either.

Raghavan

BMWDave

QuoteI don't think that metal or plastic metal-look trim is a good material for a steering wheel grip either.
Nope...you need good ol leather on the whole deal :praise:

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteI don't think that metal or plastic metal-look trim is a good material for a steering wheel grip either.
i'd like the metal over the hwole leather...

BMWDave

Try gripping a metal steering wheel with sweaty palms.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Or on a hot day.

BMWDave

Or on a hot day.
Or on a cold day for that matter...in any weather, your hands would be uncomfortable.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

Quotehow is it tacky?
It's a pithy attempt at making it seem "sporty". It looks tacked on. It's gaudy.

And, as mentioned above, it negatively affects the driver's ability to steer.  

cozmik

QuoteI hate those clear taillights with a passion. They ruin an otherwise perfect car. That and the stupid name (get over yourselves Saab: it's just a wagon).
The North American market will have red tail lights. The Saab USA web site has what they will look like.  :)  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

cozmik

Quote[IMG]

Thats a nice interior B)

The RPM guage is very BMW-like though, IMO.
Yep, those numbers with the needle in the middle that moves at points at the numbers depending on how fast the engine is spinning. Complete BMW rip off!   :P  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place