More "Vroom-Vroom" in my Zoom-Zoom

Started by r0tor, February 17, 2008, 10:45:54 AM

r0tor

So it all started when I saw a Racing Beat Exhaust for my RX-8 in the for sale forums at RX8 club.  Normally I would be not very enthusiastic about getting an exhaust for my car given then little hp gain (~5whp) for a pretty significant price ($700+).  It just didn't make financial sense.  But then I saw this little beauty for sale locally at the asking price of $300!

It looked a little cruddy, but I knew it was made of high quality stainless steel and hell, it was only $300.  So I took a trip down to philly and picked it up at the negotiated price.  I also then bought some English Custom Hot Metal Polish (http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/hotchrome.html).  After a few hours of elbow grease, this stuff produced some brilliant results (brilliant... get it!  :lol:).  Unfortunetly it looks like i had some dust and some polish i forgot to wipe off in the pic... but oh well in person it looks pretty much flawless.

So now armed with my like new looking kick ass exhaust, it was only a matter of doing the reinstall.  Using some of the money I saved from buying used, I had racing beat send me a new gasket (and rotary catalog) and bought all new hardware and the midpipe gasket from a discount stealership in Virginia (Rosenthal Mazda http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/home.php).  Add in some rust penetrating spray , some silicone spray for the rubber exhaust hangers (which would be a source of cursing for a few hours), some anti-seize,  and a couple hours of my time - I have a complete exhaust system for under $400....  Brilliant!

old vs new...

sexy tip...

final result...

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

r0tor

Sound quality is impressive.  At cruising it is as quiet as stock.  At idle it has a nice deep tone to it.  When getting on the gas, it combines with the high flow cat I already had installed to give a great deep scream... oh so nice.  Throttle blips on downshifts are about the best sounding aspect of the combo.

Not to mention the ability to produce on demand the nice flame producing backfire belches the rotary has made famous  :lol: :praise:

It will very soon be complimented by a Cobb Tuning Accessport ecu tuner and I'll be able to use their stage II software since its designed for a cat back, high flow cat, and upgraded intake (which i all have  :popcorn:) for hopefully an additional 15whp.  I will get this as soon as its made available to the public - hopefully in a week or two.

An upgraded ignition system putting down 5-10 whp is also in the plans for later this spring.  The goal is to have about 220whp while retaining the reliability of a naturally aspirated rotary engine (which should be about the same power/weight ratio as a new Mustang GTs).  Also in the works for later this spring are racing beat way bars and Tokico D-spec adjustable shocks.   :popcorn:

From their if i'm still not satisfied... well lets just say i'll have my car perfectly preparred to go turbo or supercharger for 300-400 rwhp.   :popcorn: :partyon:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Eye of the Tiger

*waves hand*
You don't need to see his identification.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
He can go about his business.
r0tor will put a turbo on the RX-8.
Move along.

:devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

Doesn't forced induction displease apex seals?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 17, 2008, 03:43:36 PM

x0mg, who cares what the apex seals want? we want turbo!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 17, 2008, 03:43:36 PM

All sorts of things displease apex seals.  :lol:

It's more a combination of boost and heat that causes apex seals to explode.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

so far driving my car i've found the radio volume is either of or really really low  :partyon:

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

final pic is up... i wanted to take a bunch but it started to rain while i was washing my car, so i clicked a wet pic quickly and ran for cover!

FlatBlackCaddy

what's that center hole for, is that were the cars poop comes out?

r0tor

Champ

Onslaught

I'd imagine the Racing Beat one isn't near as heavy as the stock one? I find the stock one to be rather tubby for a manufacture who prides itself on keeping the fat off.
I'm getting a Racing Beat for the MX-5 one of these days. I have Jackson Racing one that works great but sounds like a fart can. I'm too old for that shit.

r0tor

Yes, the Racing Beat exhaust is as heavy as the OEM exhaust...

personally, I'll trade 10 lbs for an exhaust I know will not rust out, not have warped flanges, and be able to take extreme heat - unlike some of the cheesier lighter exhausts that use lighter gauge materials...

FordSVT

I really do like your RX-8. It's colour, the gfx and lack of spoiler look tasteful and non-ricey.  Your new exhaust looks great!

r0tor

thank you sir... i think the car even manages to make my el-cheapo 17" snow tire wheels look good  :praise: :clap:

CALL_911

Damn, that looks great. Nice job, r0tor.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FordSVT

Quote from: r0tor on February 22, 2008, 09:48:49 AM
thank you sir... i think the car even manages to make my el-cheapo 17" snow tire wheels look good  :praise: :clap:

To be honest, my friend Rocca's all-black '05 RX-8 looks kind of mean with his black painted snow rims.

r0tor

just placed an order to become one of the first in the world to have a Cobb AccessPORT flash tuner in their RX8  :lol: :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2008, 05:17:50 PM
just placed an order to become one of the first in the world to have a Cobb AccessPORT flash tuner in their RX8  :lol: :lol:

w00t w00t!

r0tor

doing my happy dance to 220 rwhp  :rockon:
if i can reach my goal...
220rwhp in a 3015lb car = 13.7 lbs/rwhp

From some research, my target cars would be...
350Z... 235rwhp / 3212lb  = 13.7 lbs/rwhp
Mustang GT... 250rwhp / 3483lbs = 13.9 lbs/rwhp
beating either with a normally aspirated 1.3L.... priceless

not to mention retaining the huge handling and braking advantage and 9k redline fun  :popcorn: :partyon:

S204STi

Seriously, that Accessport is going to give that much of a bump in power?  Sweet jesus...

r0tor

Its looking like 15-20rwhp is pretty easy to get through a really wide rpm range (say 4000-9000 rpms).  An otherwise stock car just laid down 204rwhp on a Mustang dyno at Cobb's shop at 4,000 ft elevation on the stage I map and it baselines at 189rwhp.  Stock the RX-8 is detuned so badly the air fuel ratio is in the 11's.... as seen here http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31354&page=36

I'll have a stage 2 map with a high flow cat and exhaust (and also will be doing an ignition upgrade soon shown itself to be worth about 5rwhp :praise:)... so lets just say my results should be significantly better 

and even better yet, all those mods will be retained and beneficial to any turbo setup :popcorn:

93JC

"Vroom-Vroom" in my "Zoom-Zoom"?

Here I was thinking it was a euphemism for a sexual enhancement of some sort, and it turns out it's an exhaust system. You can imagine my surprise.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on February 28, 2008, 11:37:55 PM
"Vroom-Vroom" in my "Zoom-Zoom"?

Here I was thinking it was a euphemism for a sexual enhancement of some sort, and it turns out it's an exhaust system. You can imagine my surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxELBsKvEk

:rolleyes:

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.