Pet peaves on the road

Started by rohan, February 23, 2008, 10:59:02 PM

rohan

Self explanitory title

Mine is the fail to dim highs I'ld like to drill a golf ball into their heads and everyone of them I find gets tickets.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

#1 absolutely no question: tailgaters. It's okay if in heavy traffic, but when we're the only two cars on the road, either pass me, or stay the fuck back!  :rage:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: rohan on February 23, 2008, 10:59:02 PM
I'ld like to drill a golf ball into their heads

Or you could just flash your brights at them and they will turn them off 99% of the time.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2008, 11:02:05 PM
#1 absolutely no question: tailgaters. It's okay if in heavy traffic, but when we're the only two cars on the road, either pass me, or stay the fuck back!  :rage:

I have had it before where someone was tailgating me for a long time on a rural road so I slowed down to about 45 mph to let him pass. The road was wide open, it was dotted yellow, but he just liked reading my license plate sticker and slowed down/sped up with me.

Lazerous

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 23, 2008, 11:05:24 PM
I have had it before where someone was tailgating me for a long time on a rural road so I slowed down to about 45 mph to let him pass. The road was wide open, it was dotted yellow, but he just liked reading my license plate sticker and slowed down/sped up with me.

Did you have a radar detector at the time?
I notice people like to follow cars that have radar detectors so they will also be safe from the cops. They generally assume that just because you have a radar detector you are going to speed, so they tend to accelerate and slow down when you do.

The Pirate

People who slow down to 10 mph when they are still 500 yards away from their turn, then wait until they are halfway through the turn to signal.  There's a lot more, but that one's fresh in my memory, it happened to me earlier.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

rohan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 23, 2008, 11:03:16 PM
Or you could just flash your brights at them and they will turn them off 99% of the time.
How's that any "funner" than what I said?  I'm not talking about the guys who turn them down when you flash them I'n talking about the numbnuts who don't turn them down at all no matter how much you flash them a lot of time s they have a headlight out and they think tht's ok.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 23, 2008, 11:05:24 PM

I have had much worse encounters with tailgaters. I really like to fuck with them.

rohan

Another one of my bigger ones is when you get someone who is going either at or below the speed limit and you want to pass them and they speed up either when you are passing them or after and stay right on your ass.  Man that makes me mad.

~Chief Seattle

Cookie Monster

If I come up on someone who's going slowly in the middle lane, and I go into the left lane to pass, and they speed way up so I can't pass and end up having to accelerate to at least 80 mph to pass them at get back over into the middle lane.

I hate those people. It happened to me yesterday. Some lady in a Lexus GS400 was going 55 mph in a 65 mph zone and I came up on her doing 70 so when I pass her she automatically speeds up to 75 mph, forcing me to floor it and get up over 80 mph and pass her, and then she automatically drops back to 55 mph after I squeeze in front of her.

Those people give me road rage. :rage:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: rohan on February 23, 2008, 11:13:23 PM
Another one of my bigger ones is when you get someone who is going either at or below the speed limit and you want to pass them and they speed up either when you are passing them or after and stay right on your ass.  Man that makes me mad.

Yes. And in order to keep them off my ass, I speed up and get a speeding ticket.

Cookie Monster

Damn, you beat me. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Lazerous on February 23, 2008, 11:08:13 PM
Did you have a radar detector at the time?
I notice people like to follow cars that have radar detectors so they will also be safe from the cops. They generally assume that just because you have a radar detector you are going to speed, so they tend to accelerate and slow down when you do.

I don't need a radar detector.

Lazerous

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 23, 2008, 11:21:05 PM
I don't need a radar detector.

I wasn't suggesting you get one, just asking if you had one.
Sheesh, macho man :rolleyes:

:evildude:

Gotta-Qik-C7

+1,000,000
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hounddog

Semi drivers who pull out to pass another truck and hold in the fast lane for miles.  Either pass or get the hell out of the way.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on February 24, 2008, 08:46:04 AM
Semi drivers who pull out to pass another truck and hold in the fast lane for miles.  Either pass or get the hell out of the way.

They're probably bouncing off the governor that whole time. Of course, if the truck being passed had any sort of professionalism, he'd help them out, but drivers these days really don't care much about other drivers.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2008, 10:16:25 AM
Left-lane campers.

:hesaid:
I'd include a broader group -- people who just aren't paying attention to what's going on around them, and reacting appropriately.  This would include left lane campers, but also people on cell phones, and people who take up two lanes to make a turn.

I have experienced the people who block the road, and then speed up when you try to pass them.  They are the worst.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

James Young

My pet peeve is those drivers who interfere with the normal flow of traffic, e.g., the unaware, the distracted, the impeders, and the egocentric maniac who sees driving as a competition rather than a collaboration.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Catman

I agree, I can't stand obstructors whether its a left lane camper, someone hogging the whole lane when waiting to turn left or even people who need to run into the store at the gas station while leaving their car at the pump.  :lockedup:

TheIntrepid

Those people with electroluminescent or whatever gauges that forget to turn on their taillights. I've swerved in front of these people and flicked my tails on and off a few times trying to alert them, to no success.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

AKL

Most of you already listed the ones.

I hate people who make U-Turns at the most inappropriate moments  :banghead:
It happened a few times recently where someone would brake really hard and suddenly U-turn.

I also hate people who cut the line. When theres a long line at a left turn lane. They'd go all they way to the front and cut in.
Happens a lot on the highway to where people use merging lanes as ways to get what 5-10 cars ahead  :nutty: It's hilarious watching these people dance in and out of traffic to only save 5 minutes. 

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on February 24, 2008, 11:19:06 AM
I agree, I can't stand obstructors whether its a left lane camper, someone hogging the whole lane when waiting to turn left or even people who need to run into the store at the gas station while leaving their car at the pump.  :lockedup:

People who leave their car parked at the pump while they go into the store are a major annoyance.  Most of the gas stations around here have limited pump space, so doing that seriously inconveniences those who are waiting to use the pumps.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

75mgb

The moron last night who for 30 miles would speed up and tailgate so close I couldn't see him anymore in the rear view mirrors and would flash the lights any time I had to move to the left lane to go around slower traffic and then would fall back 1 to 200 feet when I moved back into the right lane and never attempted to pass me.

1975 Titanium Grey Metallic MGB.
1973 Red and Black MGB.
Restoration of the 75B Click here

MX793

-People who don't signal
-People who don't use their headlights when it's raining/snowing, after sunset or before sunrise
-People who leave their brights on when they are behind you
-People who don't know how a 4-way/all-way stop works
-People who think a stop-sign works like a traffic light
-People who stop over the crosswalk at a stop light when they are not making a right-on-red
-People who drive 5-10 under the limit for no good reason and then speed up whenever they get to a passing zone
-People who tailgate on the interstate when there's absolutely no way the car in front of them can move right or go faster
-People who pass you, move right, and then slow to a speed slower than what you're travelling.  It gets even more annoying when you then pass them back and no sooner do you move right, but they pass you again and again slow down once in front of you.
-The "hesitant passer".  People who will come up on you quickly (5+ mph faster than you), but as they get to your rear quarter, they slow down so they are only going maybe 1 mph faster than you.  Then, once they've cleared you, they speed up again.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 24, 2008, 11:22:00 AM
Those people with electroluminescent or whatever gauges that forget to turn on their taillights. I've swerved in front of these people and flicked my tails on and off a few times trying to alert them, to no success.

Forget to turn on their taillights? :confused:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on February 24, 2008, 12:42:29 PM
-People who don't signal
-People who don't use their headlights when it's raining/snowing, after sunset or before sunrise
-People who leave their brights on when they are behind you
-People who don't know how a 4-way/all-way stop works
-People who think a stop-sign works like a traffic light
-People who stop over the crosswalk at a stop light when they are not making a right-on-red
-People who drive 5-10 under the limit for no good reason and then speed up whenever they get to a passing zone
-People who tailgate on the interstate when there's absolutely no way the car in front of them can move right or go faster
-People who pass you, move right, and then slow to a speed slower than what you're travelling.  It gets even more annoying when you then pass them back and no sooner do you move right, but they pass you again and again slow down once in front of you.
-The "hesitant passer".  People who will come up on you quickly (5+ mph faster than you), but as they get to your rear quarter, they slow down so they are only going maybe 1 mph faster than you.  Then, once they've cleared you, they speed up again.
I had that problem for about 40 miles back in November.This girl in a Focus passed me and slowed down at least 10 times. I even ran up to about 120mph,but no sooner than I slowed down her ass was right back on my tail.  :heated:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on February 24, 2008, 12:49:46 PM
I had that problem for about 40 miles back in November.This girl in a Focus passed me and slowed down at least 10 times. I even ran up to about 120mph,but no sooner than I slowed down her ass was right back on my tail.  :heated:

I've done the same thing. They will tailgate you at 100mph, but if you slow down to 65 they won't pass. That's when I just put my hazards on and start coasting to a stop in the middle of the highway.

93JC

People who think

and

mean the same thing as

:rage: