SVT Focus

Started by SVT666, March 08, 2008, 10:16:07 PM

SVT666

I have it.  I flew down to San Jose yesterday morning at 6:00am.  I got there at noon and I picked up the car at 1:00pm.  I left town at 2:00pm and drove North until I got to Salem, Oregon at 12:30am where I slept (on and off) in the backseat until 6:00am in the Wal-Mart parking lot.  I left Salem at 6:45am and drove without stopping for anything more then fuel until I got pulled over for speeding 2 hours from the Canadian border.  After the cop decided to NOT give me a ticket for doing 65 mph in a 45 mph zone, I drove away and my next stop was at the Canadian border at 3:15pm.  At that point US Customs took all of 3 minutes to okay the car for export.  I headed to Canadian Customs and they spent the next 45 minutes going through everything from my checkbook, every piece of paper in my backpack, to every inch of the car itself.  They didn't believe that I only paid $9000 for the car, so I had to prove it by logging into my bank account and showing them the transactions so that they knew I was paying the correct amount of tax.  I felt like I had been strip searched.  After all of this they finally sent me on my way.  At 4:15pm I pulled away from the border and at 5:35pm I pulled into our driveway.  After 20+ hours of driving I finally got her home. 

I will post pics tomorrow and give my driving impressions then.  I'm going to bed.

REVIEW
The only other hot hatch/sports compact I have experience with in the last year or so is my parents' Cobalt SS/SC so that is the car I'm comparing it too.

Handling.  The SVT's handling is phonomenal.  It tackles corners better then my Mustang ever did even iwth the suspension mods I made to it.  The chassis and suspension are extremely well sorted and very balanced.  Only when pushed realy hard was there any kind of understeer, and the grip provided by the Contisports was impressive.  If anything, high speed cornering highlighted the cars ability to corner by providing direct and accurate steering that felt like the car was on rails.  Sometimes the car would oversteer a little and made me realize that no matter how fast I was going I could still go faster.  Steering is perfectly weighted, whereas the SS/SC's steering is too heavy and makes cornering more of an effort.  Steering feedback, body roll, and brake dive is superior in the SVT.  In the SS/SC the feedback feels a little numb.  The SVT is noticeably better in the corners then the SS/SC, though the SS/SC will kill it in a straight line. 

ADVANTAGE = SVT

Engine and Power.  That's not to say the SVT isn't powerful, it is.  The SS/SC is rated at 205 hp, though many independent dynos peg it at closer to 230hp.  The SVT has 170 hp.  Where the SS/SC is explosive off the line, the SVT is kind of weak below 2500 rpm.  Above 2500 rpm the engine rips to it's 7200 RPM redline very quickly and it begs to be revved.  It's addictive and it's what got me pulled over.  The most impressive thing about this drivetrain is how perfectly matched the gear ratios are with the engine power.  I left it in 6th gear at 70mph through the mountains and no matter how steep the hill was, the speed never dropped and I never had to downshift.  That blew my mind.  Engines in both cars are very smooth.  In a car this size, the power wasn't an issue, though the power from the SS/SC is intoxicating and I would love to put 200+ hp in the SVT.

ADVANTAGE = SS/SC

Transmission.  The SVT's 6 speed tranny is a dream.  It's beautiful.  Shifting is accurate and easy and I only missed one shift on the entire drive.  Not bad for a car I've never driven before.  It was also the first time I've ever driven a 6 speed manual for a long period of time.  I found that I forgot about 6th gear a few times and left it in 5th, and I also began skipping 5th altogether and just shifted straight into 6th from 4th.  More then 6 gears in a manual transmission would be too many.  The 5 speed in the SS/SC is a fine tranny as well, and the shifting action is on par between the two.  The shift knob in the SS/SC is too small as I've mentioned before, but the knob on the SVT is perfectly sized.

ADVANTAGE = SVT

Brakes.  I can't compare them since I haven't had to make emergency stops in either, but they both have great feedback and don't feel like they fade.

ADVANTAGE = Draw.

Steering wheel and column.  The SVT has got textured leather and perforated leather, with easy to operate cruise control buttons.  The stereo controls are on a seperate stalk behind the steering wheel to the lower left and are very intuitive in their operation.  The stalks feel like they belong in a much more expensive car, and again, very intuitive in their operation.  The steering wheel has both tilt and telescope, though I believe the SS/SC has that too.  The thickness of the SS/SC steering wheel is probably the closest to perfect I have ever driven and is wrapped in smooth leather.  The controls are not as intuitive as the SVT's and that matters to me.  The less I have to take my eyes off the road the more I can concentrate on the road.  The wheel itself is slightly nicer in the SS/SC, but the wheel in the SVT is pretty good in it's own right and has better controls and the stalks have a higher quality feel and sound.

ADVANTAGE = SVT

Seats.  I've never driven the SS/SC on a long trip, but they are great seats.  The SVT's seats are fantastic.  After 1200 miles and 20 hours sitting in them, I never had to shift myself around to get comfortable or get out to stretch my back or anything.  I don't even feel like I was in a car that long.  The bolstering in the seats is great, though the seats are little on the narrow side, however wider ones would have required a wider car.  The SS/SC's seats are fully wrapped in supply leather, and the SVT's are a leather with fabric inserts.  I feel that the SVT seats breathe better because of the fabric.  Fabric stains though, but they seem to have held up very well to the first 43,000 miles.  Seats in both cars are heated.  Until I drive the SS/SC for a long period of time, I'm calling this a draw.

ADVANTAGE = Draw

Stereo.  The SVT's stereo is the Audiophile system from Ford.  The SS/SC's is the top of the line Pioneer system.  The sound quality of the Pioneer is definitely superior to that of the SVT's.  The subwoofer in the SS/SC is largely absent, but the subwoofer in the SVT is very present.  Though I do like bass, I prefer sound quality.

ADVANTAGE = SS/SC

Ergonomics and Guages.  The interior of the SVT is definitely a love it or hate it kind of thing.  personally I love the non-traditional and funky look of the SVT's dash.  The guages are great and during the day they are very clear and readable.  At night, it's a different story.  The white guages with black numbers become green guages with black numbers and are very difficult to read at a glance.  Thnkfully the green isn't the typical Ford green we're used to, but it's still hard to read them.  The stereo buttons are more intuitive then the controls on the SS/SC, and they both have great climate controls.  The SS/SC's dash and instrument pod has a more upscale feel and look then the SVT, but the stereo controls are very confusing.  The guages are easy to read, day or night, and the A-pillar mounted boost guage is cool.

ADVANTAGE = SS/SC

Exterior Styling.  Boy racer vs. Subtle and tidy.  SVT has nicer wheels as well.

ADVANTAGE = SVT

Trunk.  They are comparable in size, but the SVT's hatch is more pratical.

ADVANTAGE = SVT

Backseat.  The SVT offers back doors and more legroom.  The seats are equally comfortable, though the SVT has a headrest for a middle passenger even though you could never get 3 back there.  The superior legroom and back doors make a world of difference.

ADVANTAGE = SVT.

Headlights.  The projector style headlights int he Focus are far superior to the headlights on the SS/SC.  My dad complains about the headlights on his car a lot.

ADVANTAGE = SVT.

Sleeping accomodations.  They both suck.

ADVANTAGE = Draw

Overall, I would take the handling, 6 speed tranny, styling, and back doors of the Focus, but the power, interior, and instrument guages of the SS/SC are awesome too.  In this part of the world, handling matters more, so the SVT is the better car in this man's heart.

*EDIT:  If I was still in Calgary where handling is not a big deal, then the SS/SC with it's huge power advantage is the car I would pick.

NOT WASHED YET

Yes those black specs are all bugs.  They are not rock chips.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

CONGRATS MAN!!!
:rockon:

Should've gotten the 3 door! :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

:cheers:

HA! Already pulled over for speeding? :rockon:
Canadian customs agents suck, especially when they talk trash about you in French so you can't understand them.   :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

I feel inadequate. :cry:

That's what I get for buying the non-Superman version of a good car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 08, 2008, 10:21:11 PM

You can have all the SVT suspension goodies for what, under $400 I think. And your car is almost nearlyl as fast, except at the very top of the powerband, but you rarely use that. The only things you will never have are that sweet 6-speed gearbox, 4-wheel disc brakes, and the cosmetic stuffs.

2o6

Do you have the 2.3L ZETEC?

Eye of the Tiger

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on March 08, 2008, 10:25:14 PM

Nope, he has the 3.6L TT H6 from the 993 Turbo.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 2o6 on March 08, 2008, 10:25:14 PM

AFAIK, there is no such thing.

I have a 2.0L Zetec.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 08, 2008, 10:26:48 PM
AFAIK, there is no such thing.

I have a 2.0L Zetec.

Oops. The 2.3L was a DURATEC.

Vinsanity

Take that feeling and multiply it by 10

That's how I feel whenever I see a CTS-V on the road :cry:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 08, 2008, 10:38:58 PM
Take that feeling and multiply it by 10

That's how I feel whenever I see a CTS-V on the road :cry:

can't u just get a supercharger or something?

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2008, 10:39:52 PM
can't u just get a supercharger or something?

for the price, might as well just trade up to the V

Vinsanity

congrats Hemi! :rockon:

what color is the car?

CALL_911

I'm assuming you got traveled to even further-north CA through I-280 and a switch to 101?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2008, 10:20:28 PM
Canadian customs agents suck, especially when they talk trash about you in French so you can't understand them.   :lol:

Tu est trop gros.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Oh yeah, and congratulations, Craig.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Laconian

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 08, 2008, 10:50:55 PM
Tu est trop gros.
Ton maman aussi!

Congratulations on the car! I'm shocked that it was the US guys that stamped you through and Canadian guys that gave you shit; isn't it supposed to be the other way around?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on March 08, 2008, 11:08:01 PM
Ton maman aussi!

Congratulations on the car! I'm shocked that it was the US guys that stamped you through and Canadian guys that gave you shit; isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Generally speaking, US customs doesn't have much of an issue with stuff going out of the country.  It's getting stuff into the country that becomes a PITA.  I suspect it's the same with Canada.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on March 08, 2008, 11:31:31 PM
Generally speaking, US customs doesn't have much of an issue with stuff going out of the country.  It's getting stuff into the country that becomes a PITA.  I suspect it's the same with Canada.

This is why we can't get Skylines over here.  Our customs people are a bunch bouchedags!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Grats Hemi!  I know you put a lot of time into finding this car, and it looks like it paid off.  Wish you better luck with this one than your last purchase, too.

omicron

.....You slept in the carpark of a discount department store?

JYODER240

Suggestion: After spending the money for a plane ticket, new car, and gas for 20hours worth of driving, just dish out an extra $60 for a cheap hotel.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

Quote from: omicron on March 09, 2008, 09:35:04 AM
.....You slept in the carpark of a discount department store?

Why not?  Lots of folks do.  In fact, WalMart encourages people in RVs to camp out in their parking lots.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 09, 2008, 09:44:42 AM
Suggestion: After spending the money for a plane ticket, new car, and gas for 20hours worth of driving, just dish out an extra $60 for a cheap hotel.
Plane ticket = $450 (booked it too close to the travel day)
New car = $9000
Gas for 20 hours of driving = $160
Hotel = None open at 12:30am
Tax and rape at the border = $550
Getting pulled over for speeding = $0
Driving an SVT Focus from California to Canada = PRICELESS

MX793

You only paid $550 in taxes and fees?  Damn, I'm jealous.  Would have cost roughly $900 in taxes and fees where I am.
Needs more Jiggawatts

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2008, 09:58:58 AM
Plane ticket = $450 (booked it too close to the travel day)
New car = $9000
Gas for 20 hours of driving = $160
Hotel = None open at 12:30am
Tax and rape at the border = $550
Getting pulled over for speeding = $0
Driving an SVT Focus from California to Canada = PRICELESS

:confused:

Every hotel I've ever been too has someone at the front desk 24hours a day :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

Quote from: MX793 on March 09, 2008, 09:53:13 AM
Why not?  Lots of folks do.  In fact, WalMart encourages people in RVs to camp out in their parking lots.

The very fact that you have suggested that 'folks' do so makes me even more tentative.