First Drive: 2006 Lexus IS 350

Started by BMWDave, July 14, 2005, 07:27:33 PM

ifcar

QuoteInaccurate because I found a source that said otherwise.
Exactly, being wrong is different from lying.

And I have a source in front of me that says that a 2002 ES300 with every option, including a nav system, was still only $39,000, and does not mention that you had to choose every option to get leather, nor does it suggest that leather wasn't standard.

TBR

ifcar

I can't, it's a magazine. March 2002 Consumer Reports, detailing the specific options added to their ES300 test vehicle, and its total MSRP.

thewizard16

A bit on third party comment- I know that the last gen ES didn't have leather standard, I knew a guy who bought a stripped ES with cloth seats. I also believe that leather wasn't standard until 04, but I have never actually seen a new gen ES with cloth seats. Considering the car starts around 31,000 and leather was a 1,200-1,500 option (estimated, it used to be around there, I bleive) it was often chosen, and it certainly didn't make the ES a $40,000 car.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Catman

Holy insufferable debates Batman!  

I like this new IS.  I think it fills the role for Lexus very well and the fact that it leans a little more towards luxury than sport shouldn't surprise anyone.

ifcar

Considering that Lexus already has a luxury-only car at the same price, I wouldn't say that it's too much to expect an emphasis on sport in their second upscale model.

Catman

QuoteConsidering that Lexus already has a luxury-only car at the same price, I wouldn't say that it's too much to expect an emphasis on sport in their second upscale model.
If you're comparing the IS to the ES than the IS is a Formula 1 car!  With Lexus there's always going to be alot of emphasis on ride and noise which many people appreciate.  This car seems to strike a good balance in that regard.  Complaining about the exhaust note doesn't seem too important.  If the car was a suberb handler they'd complain about the harsh ride. <_<  

giant_mtb

I sat in a Lexus IS350 (this new one) at the London-Heathrowe airport...the only difference was that it was right-hand drive.  :lol:  

Catman

QuoteI sat in a Lexus IS350 (this new one) at the London-Heathrowe airport...the only difference was that it was right-hand drive.  :lol:
Did you like it? :mellow:  

ifcar

QuoteConsidering that Lexus already has a luxury-only car at the same price, I wouldn't say that it's too much to expect an emphasis on sport in their second upscale model.
If you're comparing the IS to the ES than the IS is a Formula 1 car!  With Lexus there's always going to be alot of emphasis on ride and noise which many people appreciate.  This car seems to strike a good balance in that regard.  Complaining about the exhaust note doesn't seem too important.  If the car was a suberb handler they'd complain about the harsh ride. <_<
There was with the previous generation. But the mags loved it, and said with more power it could be as good as the 3-Series. They didn't need to soften it that much when they've already got the ES on the lot.

Catman

Like the write up said though, the last generation sold kind of poorly.  I suspect this one will sell much better.

ifcar

It could have been sportier and still sold better. The IS300 didn't sell poorly because it had great handling at the expense of ride comfort, it was the tiny and economy-grade interior that brought it down.

Catman

QuoteIt could have been sportier and still sold better. The IS300 didn't sell poorly because it had great handling at the expense of ride comfort, it was the tiny and economy-grade interior that brought it down.
True. that was a big part of it.

giant_mtb

QuoteI sat in a Lexus IS350 (this new one) at the London-Heathrowe airport...the only difference was that it was right-hand drive.  :lol:
Of course I did.  The interior was especially nice...plenty of room in all seats and the layout was pretty nice, IMO.  Deffinitely a luxury car by my standards.

Raza

It didn't sell because it wasn't marketed well.  It was a better value than the 325i and probably better than the 328i.  It came out and, like everything Toyota that isn't an SUV or a Camry, was forgotten about and barely ever updated.  It had great looks, a cozy interior (something that this class is forgetting to put in), great handling (though not at the Bimmer's level), and adequate go (enough to trump the 325), and the interior, while aesthetically displeasing, was built to the same quality as the other Lexus vehicles.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI sat in a Lexus IS350 (this new one) at the London-Heathrowe airport...the only difference was that it was right-hand drive.? :lol:
Of course I did.  The interior was especially nice...plenty of room in all seats and the layout was pretty nice, IMO.  Deffinitely a luxury car by my standards.
I havent been in one yet, but from pictures, the interior looks extremely "busy".  What did you think?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

For some reason, the IS350 interior reminds me of the LX470's interior.  

giant_mtb

QuoteI sat in a Lexus IS350 (this new one) at the London-Heathrowe airport...the only difference was that it was right-hand drive.  :lol:
I havent been in one yet, but from pictures, the interior looks extremely "busy".  What did you think?
Ehh it was "busy" compared with my standards, yes, but it was interesting and cool nonetheless.  The one I sat in had a white/cream (not sure) leather interior.  It was nicer then that black interior in the article.  But it was a very nice interior...very nice...let me see if I can find the pics I took of it.

giant_mtb

Ehh...I apologize, the car that I saw in the airport was actually a GS 300, not an IS 350.  :ph34r:  (the pic(s) will be included in the ones Dan puts on the site...once I get them sent to him again...apparently they failed to send the first time)

Catman

QuoteEhh...I apologize, the car that I saw in the airport was actually a GS 300, not an IS 350.  :ph34r:  (the pic(s) will be included in the ones Dan puts on the site...once I get them sent to him again...apparently they failed to send the first time)
You're a disgrace! :P  

thewizard16

QuoteEhh...I apologize, the car that I saw in the airport was actually a GS 300, not an IS 350.  :ph34r:  (the pic(s) will be included in the ones Dan puts on the site...once I get them sent to him again...apparently they failed to send the first time)
Hmm... can't even tell the difference between the GS and the IS.  <_<  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

giant_mtb

QuoteEhh...I apologize, the car that I saw in the airport was actually a GS 300, not an IS 350.  :ph34r:  (the pic(s) will be included in the ones Dan puts on the site...once I get them sent to him again...apparently they failed to send the first time)
Yeah, but you see, I saw that GS over a month ago...so I had no recollection of what it was, and these pics of the IS looked very familiar, so I assumed that what I had seen was an IS.  But then I looked at the pics and found it to be different.  Sorry!  ;)  

thewizard16

QuoteEhh...I apologize, the car that I saw in the airport was actually a GS 300, not an IS 350.  :ph34r:  (the pic(s) will be included in the ones Dan puts on the site...once I get them sent to him again...apparently they failed to send the first time)
Yeah, but you see, I saw that GS over a month ago...so I had no recollection of what it was, and these pics of the IS looked very familiar, so I assumed that what I had seen was an IS.  But then I looked at the pics and found it to be different.  Sorry!  ;)
I'm sorry, but this car sin may just be unforgivable.  ;)  :lol:  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

BMWDave

QuoteEhh...I apologize, the car that I saw in the airport was actually a GS 300, not an IS 350.? :ph34r:? (the pic(s) will be included in the ones Dan puts on the site...once I get them sent to him again...apparently they failed to send the first time)
I'm sorry, but this car sin may just be unforgivable.  ;)  :lol:
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...