First Drive: 2006 Lexus IS 350

Started by BMWDave, July 14, 2005, 07:27:33 PM

BMWDave

Link with Article and Pics

Bigger, Faster and Packing Electronic Heat
By John Pearley Huffman
Date posted: 07-14-2005

Since 2001, the Lexus IS 300 has taken on the BMW 3 Series with marginal success. Although it never really lit up the sales charts, the rear-wheel-drive IS 300 has earned a small but loyal following. Young, too. In fact, according to Lexus, the median age of IS buyers is just 29. That's the youngest for any car sold by any luxury maker and decades younger than the median age for buyers of most luxury cars.

In the car business, young buyers are good buyers, but so are more buyers, so when it came time to dream up the second generation of the IS, Lexus had to design a sedan with expanded appeal that wouldn't disenfranchise the kids.

A tall order, but we think Lexus may have pulled it off.

The 2006 Lexus IS sedan is bigger, more luxurious and much more powerful than the car it replaces, and for the first time several models are available. Buyers can now choose between the Lexus IS 250, Lexus IS 250 with all-wheel drive and Lexus IS 350, all which get V6 engines and six-speed transmissions.

Lexus GS Jr.
Since Lexus already had an excellent rear-drive platform in its GS, it became the starting point for the new IS. By carving out 4.7 inches of the GS' wheelbase and lopping off 4.4 inches of front and rear overhang, Lexus had the basic structure of the new IS. Its 180.1-inch length makes it 2 inches longer than a 2006 BMW 3 Series sedan, but its 107.5-inch wheelbase is 1.2 inches shorter than the BMW's. The Lexus is also a little narrower and a little taller than the Bimmer.

The GS' double-wishbone front and independent multilink rear suspension moves intact to the IS and is retuned for the new application. Even the big 13.1-inch diameter ventilated front and 12.2-inch diameter solid rear disc brakes from the V8-powered GS 430 migrate to the new IS 350. The less powerful IS 250 uses the GS 300's slightly smaller discs.

The one significant piece of GS technology that didn't make it onto the new IS is variable-ratio power steering. Instead the IS has a speed-sensitive, electric variably assisted rack and pinion system.

Two New Variations on a Familiar Engine Family
The IS 300's straight six has been replaced by two new all-aluminum members of Toyota's latest family of 60-degree, DOHC, 24-valved V6s. The engines feature VVT-i variable valve timing and are already powering everything from the GS 300 to the base Toyota Tundra pickup.

The V6 in the IS 250 displaces 2.5 liters. Lexus rates it at 204 horsepower at 6,400 rpm with the 185 pound-feet of peak torque at 4,800 rpm using the SAE's latest rating regimen. An expansion in bore and stroke turns that engine into the 3.5-liter that powers the IS 350. It's rated at an impressive 306 hp at 6,400 rpm and a chunky 277 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm. Both engines use direct gasoline injection with the IS 350's also having additional injectors in the intake ports to promote better fuel distribution when intake charge velocities are down.

Behind those engines are new six-speed transmissions. A true manual transmission, you know with a clutch pedal, is only available on the base rear-drive IS 250. If shifting isn't your thing, a six-speed automatic with a manual mode is optional. Order all-wheel drive on your IS 250, which by the way adds 216 pounds to the car's curb weight, or step up to the IS 350, and a six-speed automatic with a manual mode becomes mandatory. Lexus does supply paddle shifters just behind the steering wheel, but a real manual like you can get in a BMW 330i would be better.

The Nanny Factor
Also coming from the GS is the suite of electronic technologies ? traction control, stability control, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, BrakeAssist and the conventional antilock brakes and such ? that Lexus groups together as the "Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management" (VDIM for acronym lovers). VDIM is standard on the IS 350 while most of the technologies also come on the IS 250, the integration isn't quite so comprehensive.

With VDIM working, it's tough to see how anyone could get in trouble with a new IS 350 unless they aimed for a telephone pole. Of course, if they'd opted for the "Pre-Collision System" that integrates with the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control when they whacked that pole it would be in a car that had prepared its occupants by pre-tensioning their belts, preinitializing the BrakeAssist system, and even trying to apply the brakes itself.

During the collision the front passengers would appreciate their knee airbags and double-row curtain shield airbags, and that the front passenger's unique "twin-chamber" airbag spreads apart to reduce blunt impacts.

Driving Technology
As with the GS, there's no conventional key for the IS 350 as it senses the presence of an electronic fob that allows the car to be started with the press of a button. There's a suggestion of the original IS' trapezoidal instrument binnacle and its chronographic instrument faces, but the dash design is much more elegant and rationally planned. The seats are well shaped, the steering wheel is a neat three-spoke design, and the pedals are covered in aluminum plates. Unlike in the IS 300, the interior materials on the new IS are up to Lexus standards.

Lexus claims the IS 350 will rip to 60 mph in just 5.6 seconds and it's easy to believe because the engine produces gushers of thrust in near silence. This is an engine that delivers power seamlessly ? there's no point where the VVT-i "kicks in" or the torque drops off. The IS 250's V6 is just as creamy and only lags in terms of overall thrust.

We drove an IS 250 with a six-speed manual and IS 350 with the optional performance package around Southern California and the Willow Springs Raceway road course. Although we expected the smaller-engined model with the real manual transmission to be our favorite, it was the IS 350 we liked best.

The IS 250 cruises along freeways like the luxury car it is. The ride is controlled but soft. On twisting roads it sort of wafts along never doing anything that could upset the passenger cabin extensively. Exciting? Not really. But it is comfortable, reassuring and competent. Plus, the manual transmission in the preproduction machine we sampled shifted with long throws and hazily defined gates. Lexus says it will be better in production models.

On the other hand, with 18-inch wheels and more than 300 hp, the IS 350 with the performance package is an undeniable performance car. There's no discernable exhaust note, but the IS 350 builds speed easily, the chassis is tenacious, and if there isn't going to be a manual transmission around, at least the paddles add some involvement to the driving experience. There's no real comfort penalty for the big wheels and tires either, and turn-in is noticeably quicker than in the 250.

Still, there's so much technology aboard the IS 350, the driver is too insulated from the driving. The electronic throttle's response isn't as crisp as we would like, the transmission takes too long to respond to the paddle shifters and the steering is precise and quick, but hardly communicative. It's enough to make you miss the old IS 300's nervy, adolescent edge.

The biggest downer, however, is the inability to disarm the VDIM system, which mutes the sedan's performance long before the limits of its chassis and its optional 18-inch summer-spec tires are reached (17-inch all-weather tires are standard). There's a great engine, a great chassis and spectacular brakes under all that electronic baby-sitting, but the VDIM system is so intrusive it's hard to tell. We expressed a similar complaint about the GS 430.

A VDIM "Off" button would make this a much better sport sedan.

An Intimidating Competitor
With the structural heft of a beryllium atom, spectacular engines and exquisite assembly quality, the new IS is a car even committed Bimmer-philes should test-drive. It goes on sale this fall and should be priced competitively with, if not slightly below, BMW's 3 Series. It should be quite a sales race.

Inside Line will run a full test on a 2006 IS 350 in about two weeks. Stay tuned

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

It's not on sale for another few months, right?  

BMWDave

QuoteIt's not on sale for another few months, right?
Fall 05.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

It won't make it into the upcoming IFCAR entry-lux comparo then, unforunately. I held it off for the 3-Series, but I can't wait another couple of months for the IS. :(

BMWDave

QuoteIt won't make it into the upcoming IFCAR entry-lux comparo then, unforunately. I held it off for the 3-Series, but I can't wait another couple of months for the IS. :(
Well, we know the 3er will win anyway, so it doesnt matter if you cant get in the IS :lol:  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe ride is controlled but soft. On twisting roads it sort of wafts along never doing anything that could upset the passenger cabin extensively. Exciting? Not really. But it is comfortable, reassuring and competent. Plus, the manual transmission in the preproduction machine we sampled shifted with long throws and hazily defined gates.

:(

I am a little dissappointed, but I will hold off judgements until I actually get to test drive the IS250.

Hopefully a sport package will cure some of the flaws Edmunds noted.

Its really a shame the IS350 doesn't get a manual. That engine sounds fantastic.

Tom

Despite the shortcomings pointed out above, this is good stuff:

"The V6 in the IS 250 displaces 2.5 liters. Lexus rates it at 204 horsepower at 6,400 rpm with the 185 pound-feet of peak torque at 4,800 rpm using the SAE's latest rating regimen. An expansion in bore and stroke turns that engine into the 3.5-liter that powers the IS 350. It's rated at an impressive 306 hp at 6,400 rpm and a chunky 277 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm. Both engines use direct gasoline injection with the IS 350's also having additional injectors in the intake ports to promote better fuel distribution when intake charge velocities are down."

BMWDave

QuoteDespite the shortcomings pointed out above, this is good stuff:

"The V6 in the IS 250 displaces 2.5 liters. Lexus rates it at 204 horsepower at 6,400 rpm with the 185 pound-feet of peak torque at 4,800 rpm using the SAE's latest rating regimen. An expansion in bore and stroke turns that engine into the 3.5-liter that powers the IS 350. It's rated at an impressive 306 hp at 6,400 rpm and a chunky 277 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm. Both engines use direct gasoline injection with the IS 350's also having additional injectors in the intake ports to promote better fuel distribution when intake charge velocities are down."
While hp is good, it isnt the attribute that marks a sport sedan.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

It's certainly in the top 3 :praise:  

TBR

I would disagree with that, this is my personal order:

1. A4
2. 3-series
3. G35

This comment is the problem, "Still, there's so much technology aboard the IS 350, the driver is too insulated from the driving." They managed to screw up the most sporty driving car in the class :(.  

BMWDave

1. A4
2. 3-series
3. G35

This comment is the problem, "Still, there's so much technology aboard the IS 350, the driver is too insulated from the driving." They managed to screw up the most sporty driving car in the class :(.
Personal order of mine is the same as yours, just with the 3er on top :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

1. A4
2. 3-series
3. G35

Sorry, I meant speed is a top three sport car attribute.  Somewhere in the mix is handling, tranmission, and overall drivetrain(tranny+engine combo)

TBR

Thanks for the clarification.  

SJ_GTI

The 3.5 V6 does sound like a gem, but the 2.5 doesn't sound particularly special, though it certainly adequate for the class.

ifcar

QuoteI would disagree with that, this is my personal order:

1. A4
2. 3-series
3. G35
A4, eh? It's a nice enough car, but IMO not a standout in its class in any significant way.

My order (if I'm buying):

1. TSX
2. G35
3. Maxima

TBR

QuoteI would disagree with that, this is my personal order:

1. A4
2. 3-series
3. G35
A4, eh? It's a nice enough car, but IMO not a standout in its class in any significant way.

My order (if I'm buying):

1. TSX
2. G35
3. Maxima
Don't care for the TSX, the styling is bland, doesn't have much power, and is FWD only. Also, the Maxima doesn't really compete in this class, it is more of a near luxury car than an entry level luxury car.  

ifcar

Entry-lux is the same as near-lux, and it definitely competes in terms of price and power.

TBR

QuoteEntry-lux is the same as near-lux, and it definitely competes in terms of price and power.
No, they are quite different. Near lux consists of cars like the ES330 and 300. Entry level lux consists of cars like the G35, TSX, and 3-series.  

ifcar

TBR

QuoteBased on what, exactly?
That is common knowledge. Near luxury cars are typically FWD family sedans with a little dressing up and a premium badge while entry level luxury cars are typically smaller, AWD or RWD (the TL and TSX both are really near lux cars imho) that normally focus  more on sport than near lux cars.  

cozmik

The 3.5 V6 does sound like a gem, but the 2.5 doesn't sound particularly special, though it certainly adequate for the class.
I don't know. for a 2.5, it seems fairly decent. It is less powerful that the 3.0 in the 325, but it is also minus a half lieter of displacement. It does produces the same amount of torque as the 3.0 though. Seemes decent enough to me.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

ifcar

That is common knowledge. Near luxury cars are typically FWD family sedans with a little dressing up and a premium badge while entry level luxury cars are typically smaller, AWD or RWD (the TL and TSX both are really near lux cars imho) that normally focus  more on sport than near lux cars.
Sport is not a determining factor on what makes a more-luxurious car than another. Entry-lux covers midsize cars priced typically in the $30Ks, RWD or FWD, sporty or not.

TBR

Sport is not a determining factor on what makes a more-luxurious car than another. Entry-lux covers midsize cars priced typically in the $30Ks, RWD or FWD, sporty or not.
Never said it did, the simple fact is that there is a difference between near lux and entry level lux, near lux cars are spiffied up versions of cheaper cars while entery level lux cars are typically unique creations.  

SJ_GTI

I don't know. for a 2.5, it seems fairly decent. It is less powerful that the 3.0 in the 325, but it is also minus a half lieter of displacement. It does produces the same amount of torque as the 3.0 though. Seemes decent enough to me.
It is decent, and plenty of power for me personally. I just meant in this class of cars it isn't anything special.

The other Japanese brands offer much more (270 and 280) and BMW offers more 215. Audi's 2.0T  is a bit less at only 200, but it does have more torque.  I think for 06 even Saab will start using the 2.0T (210 HP) as its base engine.

For me I generally tried to stay away from HP/L as it isn't really indicative of anything useful to me. I don't get any benefit from Lexus using a 2.5L vs BMW using a (restricted) 3.0L to get its power.

ifcar

Never said it did, the simple fact is that there is a difference between near lux and entry level lux, near lux cars are spiffied up versions of cheaper cars while entery level lux cars are typically unique creations.
Like the A4, your top choice, which is in NO way related to the Passat?  :rolleyes:  

Raghavan

Can you equip Lexuses with TRD suspension?  

mazda6er

I've got to go with ifcar on this. TBR, your criteria for weither a car is "near-lux" or "entry-lux" just doesn't make sense.

examples of near-lux:
     -Buick Lacrosse
     -Chrysler 300
     -Nissan Maxima

examples of entry-lux:
     -A4
     -TSX
     -TL
     -ES330 (definitely not "near lux")
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

thewizard16

QuoteCan you equip Lexuses with TRD suspension?
No, I don't think so. There was a group called L-Tuned that did some suspension jobs on the GS a while back to give Lexus their own TRD style thing, but I don't know if it's still around. Some of their cars have multiple suspensions, but the cars that they actually give the good sports suspensions to they limit electronically to a point where they might as well have not given it that suspension.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Your "near lux" examples could be classified simply as expensive large/full-size sedans, along with the Avalon.

mazda6er

QuoteYour "near lux" examples could be classified simply as expensive large/full-size sedans, along with the Avalon.
That's what I consider near-lux to be. You don't agree?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer