Gallardo Superlegerra Cancelled!

Started by SVT666, March 28, 2008, 10:45:06 AM

SVT666

Lamborghini stops Gallardo Superleggera production
March27

After unveiling its newest product, the Lamborghini announced on Thursday it stopped production of the Gallardo Superleggera, a lightweight, more performance-oriented version of the Gallardo. The Italian exotic car manufacturer shipped just 172 of the cars to the U.S. in its short life span.

The Superleggera weighed 154 lbs less than the standard Gallardo thanks to a heavy diet of carbon fiber and made 10 more horsepower, for a total of 530, from its 5.0 liter V10 engine. There are 46 orange, 45 yellow, 37 black, 34 gray and 10 white Superleggeras on U.S. soil, as per Motor Trend.

FlatBlackCaddy

Why?

Was the mind blowing performance of the 70K GT-R behind this.

TheIntrepid

Was this initially a limited production vehicle?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Galaxy

I do not think this is unusual. Akin to Audi cancelling the S4 when the A4 it is based on goes out of production. I am sure there will soon be a new Superlegerra based on the new Gallardo.

Submariner

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 28, 2008, 11:20:44 AM
Why?

There have been GT-R's in the past.  They never canceled any car production.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on March 28, 2008, 12:54:54 PM
I do not think this is unusual. Akin to Audi cancelling the S4 when the A4 it is based on goes out of production. I am sure there will soon be a new Superlegerra based on the new Gallardo.
The Gallardo hasn't been cancelled.  This was unespected.

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 28, 2008, 01:09:12 PM
The Gallardo hasn't been cancelled.  This was unespected.

The Gallardo has been replaced by the Gallardo LP 560-4. The difference may be big enough, that they are no longer able to build the Superleggera on the same line.

the Teuton

This is officially odd.  Look for Superleggera prices to be through the roof sometime soon.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

From the sound of it the new Gallardo is pretty much the Superlegerra, but with Revention like styling. I imagine a new Superlegerra will come out in a couple of years.

And why can't Lamborghini come up with normal names? Safari's spell checker is throwing up red all over this post.

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on March 28, 2008, 03:41:45 PM
From the sound of it the new Gallardo is pretty much the Superlegerra, but with Revention like styling. I imagine a new Superlegerra will come out in a couple of years.

And why can't Lamborghini come up with normal names? Safari's spell checker is throwing up red all over this post.

It means "super light" which is a wrong name for the car.

giant_mtb

154 pounds less?  Gee, that sure is super light!

Not. 

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2008, 03:52:58 PM
154 pounds less?  Gee, that sure is super light!

Not. 

154 lb is a lot of weight to lose on a car, the problem is, they did it on a car that's not exactly light to begin with.  If they lost 154lb on something like a Super 7 or a Lotus 211, now that's a feat!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on March 28, 2008, 03:49:53 PM
It means "super light" which is a wrong name for the car.

It's also a traditional Italian moniker for the same sort of treatment that Porsche calls "club sport."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on March 28, 2008, 05:23:27 PM
154 lb is a lot of weight to lose on a car, the problem is, they did it on a car that's not exactly light to begin with.  If they lost 154lb on something like a Super 7 or a Lotus 211, now that's a feat!

I understand that.  I should have included a similar explanation in my original post.  Proportionately, it's not a lot of weight to lose.

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 28, 2008, 05:25:18 PM
It's also a traditional Italian moniker for the same sort of treatment that Porsche calls "club sport."

Isn't it also a specific form of bodywork construction?

'In this construction, thin steel tubes are built up from the floorpan or chassies, into the shape of the finished body. Aluminium panels are then painstakingly formed by hand (rolled between shaped wheels, or beaten over a suitable wooden former) until they fit the shape. They are then welded together over the frame. Most Ferraris and Maseratis were built this way until the end of the 1950s; the Aston Martin DB4 and 5 were Superleggera cars, too.'

JYODER240

Why?

I doubt potential Gallardo buyers backed off for a 70K Nissan.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on March 28, 2008, 09:10:34 PM
Isn't it also a specific form of bodywork construction?

'In this construction, thin steel tubes are built up from the floorpan or chassies, into the shape of the finished body. Aluminium panels are then painstakingly formed by hand (rolled between shaped wheels, or beaten over a suitable wooden former) until they fit the shape. They are then welded together over the frame. Most Ferraris and Maseratis were built this way until the end of the 1950s; the Aston Martin DB4 and 5 were Superleggera cars, too.'

Traditionally, you're spot on as usual, but as of late, it has also been modified to include carbon fiber and other composite type construction.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 28, 2008, 09:40:00 PM
Traditionally, you're spot on as usual, but as of late, it has also been modified to include carbon fiber and other composite type construction.

Next they'll be telling me that sports cars have roofs!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on March 28, 2008, 09:45:56 PM
Next they'll be telling me that sports cars have roofs!

nd they'll be making Saloons and calling them Phaetons too!

omicron

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on March 28, 2008, 09:48:31 PM
:cry:

People will own Carreras and Targas and have no idea of the origin of those names!

sandertheshark

Why?

Oh, yes.  That's it.  People stopped buying Lamborghinis in favor of PS3 controllers on wheels.

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 28, 2008, 09:50:48 PM
Oh, yes.  That's it.  People stopped buying Lamborghinis in favor of PS3 controllers on wheels.

Eh, what techno performance gizmos does the GT-R have that an E-gear equipped Gallardo (like the superleggera) does not?

Launch control, check.

Automated manual, check.

Fancy computer controled AWD systems with RWD bias,  check.

Fancy ESC systems, check.

Seriously everyone is crying about the techno gizmos that the GT-R supposedly depends on to be faster and thus sap the driving experience, but in reality what does the GT-R have that the others don't?  The dual clutch manual was developed originally by Audi, and plently of cars have manual paddle shifters now (which don't have any benefit over dual clutch and will probably go the way of the dinosaur soon).  The GT-R's AWD system isn't as "techincally" advanced as the EVO X's because it can't actually actively move power from side to side (usually that ability is reserved for the Vspec GT-Rs). It doesn't have the fancy E-diff that Ferrari's do with like 6 different settings.  It doesn't have fancy ceramic brakes with automatic brake drying features.  It's shocks don't have the many settings that the BMW M cars do.  The GT-R's launch control is nothing new, as many many paddle shift cars have it.  There are plently of cars have turbocharged engines, and the GT-R did not have electric assisted turbos like rumored. Seriously, save for the AWD, you'll find just as many techno gizmos in a Ferrari F430, or a BMW M6.  A paddle shift R8 and E-gear Gallardo has nearly identical techno aid list features as the GT-R.

Raza

Fact is no one who is going to buy a Lamborghini is going to not and then buy a hideous pig like the GT-R.  The Z06 was about as quick as the Ferrari 360 and no one traded the Italian in. 

The GT-R is a fast car but it's not worrying Lamborghini.  Be realistic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on March 29, 2008, 06:13:31 AM
Eh, what techno performance gizmos does the GT-R have that an E-gear equipped Gallardo (like the superleggera) does not?

Launch control, check.

Automated manual, check.

Fancy computer controled AWD systems with RWD bias,  check.

Fancy ESC systems, check.

Seriously everyone is crying about the techno gizmos that the GT-R supposedly depends on to be faster and thus sap the driving experience, but in reality what does the GT-R have that the others don't?  The dual clutch manual was developed originally by Audi, and plently of cars have manual paddle shifters now (which don't have any benefit over dual clutch and will probably go the way of the dinosaur soon).  The GT-R's AWD system isn't as "techincally" advanced as the EVO X's because it can't actually actively move power from side to side (usually that ability is reserved for the Vspec GT-Rs). It doesn't have the fancy E-diff that Ferrari's do with like 6 different settings.  It doesn't have fancy ceramic brakes with automatic brake drying features.  It's shocks don't have the many settings that the BMW M cars do.  The GT-R's launch control is nothing new, as many many paddle shift cars have it.  There are plently of cars have turbocharged engines, and the GT-R did not have electric assisted turbos like rumored. Seriously, save for the AWD, you'll find just as many techno gizmos in a Ferrari F430, or a BMW M6.  A paddle shift R8 and E-gear Gallardo has nearly identical techno aid list features as the GT-R.

Actually, I have complained about the amount of electronics in those cars.  I know a few others have too.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 29, 2008, 09:50:20 AM
Where has Brealistic gone to?

He left because of you.

Wait, didn't he leave because the forums were too nice?  Oh, if he could see us now!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

People didn't buy a corvette over a 360 because the chevy was a piece of shit and more importantly you would see them on the road every day piloted by feeble old men on their way to denny's.

Not really the same problem the GT-R will have.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 29, 2008, 10:10:39 AM
People didn't buy a corvette over a 360 because the chevy was a piece of shit and more importantly you would see them on the road every day piloted by feeble old men on their way to denny's.

Yeah, the Corvette is a piece of shit.  :rolleyes:

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 29, 2008, 10:10:39 AM

There'd still be people put off by the Nissan badge though.  The GT-R is much superior to cars like the Corvette but it doesn't mean people will take it over a Gallardo.