Official Facelifted Mercedes-Benz A- & B-Class Pictures

Started by cawimmer430, March 29, 2008, 03:35:15 AM

cawimmer430

Not bad, not bad. I know most people will flame it but when you drive it it's actually a neat experience. They're very good cars and I want an A-Class.  :praise:

A-Class

Earlier this month Mercedes-Benz took the covers off its facelited B-Class range and now we have first details about the 2009 model year update for the smaller A-Class. Due for release in the second half of the year, the new A-Class gets a slightly revised look, a revamped interior and a cleaner engine range.

New to range is fuel saving engine stop-start technology for the volume A150 and A170 models as well as the addition of an ultra-frugal A150 BlueEfficiency model, which gets by on just 5.8L of petrol per 100km (40.5mpg) yet still delivers a reasonable 95hp. Other fuel saving technology include aerodynamic enhancements, low rolling resistant tires and an extensive weight saving program. The most economic model remains the 82hp A160 CDI, which consumes just 4.5L of diesel per 100km (52mpg).

The cabin gets new material choices for the seats and door linings, plus buyers can also opt for brushed aluminum or wooden trim.

Key visual differences between the 2009 model and its predecessor include new shape headlights, wraparound taillights, and revised bumpers sporting larger air-intakes. The range also features several new grille designs depending on whether the car is equipped with either Avantgarde or Elegance specifications.

B-Class

"Better shape than ever"

Mercedes is seemingly in the middle of updating the majority of their cars. Yesterday we brought you the facelifted M-Class and today Mercedes has released official details of the refreshed B-Class. The current generation B-Class has been on the roads since 2005, reaching a sales figure of 325,000 units.

The 2008 Mercedes B-Class features a newly styled hood, grille, front bumper, high-brilliance tail lights, rear bumper and an entirely new engine choice with the B 170 NGT BlueEfficiency. Engine tweaks result in a 7% fuel economy increase while emissions are well below current EU regulations.

The new natural gas powered B 170 NGT (Natural Gas Technology) BlueEfficiency is capable of running on both natural gas and premium grade petrol while still delivering 85 kW / 116 hp of power, equal to that of the petrol powered version. A fully fueled B170 NGT can cover over 1,000 km.

The Mercedes B-Class range consists of the B150 (95 hp), B180 CDI (109 hp), B200 CDI (140 hp), B170 (116 hp), B170 NGT (116 hp), B200 (136 hp) and the range topping B200 Turbo (193 hp)."

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Colin

TThat's more like it............ a subtle facelift that does not ruin an elegant looking car, unlike the horrors perpetrated on the SL, and to a lesser extent the front of the SLK!

Not sure about the "A" class, though.......... the only one I have driven to date was an A180 CDi Auto, and it was not a pleasant experience! The engine was the real culprit, and the gearbox made a bad situation worse. rest of the car was up to the mark, though.   

Galaxy

I really like the B class since the interior space it offers compared to the size of the car is excellent. To bad Mercedes-Benz is dumping the sandwhich floor for the next generation. The A class always looked a bit akward to me, especially the rear and the usuable space is greatly diminished. How much more is the B class? There really is not any reason to buy an A over a B if the surcharge is within reason.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

2o6

Raza

I kind of like the A class 3 door, but for some reason the front end isn't doing it for me like the old one did.

I must ask.  Why would you buy one of these over a Golf?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Both of those look really nice, I love the blue color on the B class.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

nickdrinkwater

Galaxy

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2008, 09:46:59 AM

The interior packaging of these two really is quite clever (though the B more so then the A) they offer a lot more space especially trunk space then the Golf. Unfortunately the sandwhich construction requires engines that are not compatable with the C class so the sandwhich layout is being disgarded for the next generation.

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on March 29, 2008, 11:49:54 AM
The interior packaging of these two really is quite clever (though the B more so then the A) they offer a lot more space especially trunk space then the Golf. Unfortunately the sandwhich construction requires engines that are not compatable with the C class so the sandwhich layout is being disgarded for the next generation.

Sandwich layout?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on March 29, 2008, 11:55:36 AM
My typo. It has nothing to do with brooms and magic.

Now I'm even more confused.  What's a sandwich layout/construction?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Galaxy

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2008, 11:56:33 AM
Now I'm even more confused.  What's a sandwich layout/construction?

In the event of an accident the engine/transmission. gets pushed under the passenger cell. This allows them to make the front of the car shorter. They can use the space better.

Wich/which/witch  was my typo.

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on March 29, 2008, 12:01:37 PM

In the event of an accident the engine/transmission. gets pushed under the passenger cell. This allows them to make the front of the car shorter. They can use the space better.

Wich/which/witch  was my typo.

Interesting.  Is that kind of like how on some older cars, if you got into a bad accident, the engine and transmission would fall out so they don't get pushed into the cabin?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2008, 12:04:46 PM
Interesting.  Is that kind of like how on some older cars, if you got into a bad accident, the engine and transmission would fall out so they don't get pushed into the cabin?

Yep, it's like that on semi trucks too.

Cookie Monster

I really like that A-Class 3 door.
Don't care for the B-Class though. Looks crappy.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

ThunderCharger

I really like the B-class, but the A class... eh, just not my type of car.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mrs hounddog

I have a hard time finding any of these cars in this size to have any usefulness at all other than fuel economy and they provide no asthetic pleasure.  I guess if you really want the MB name but can't come up with the money for a real one otherwise what's the point?  Are these even made in Germany?
"Nothing matter so much as blood.  Everyone else are just strangers."
-Gene Hackman in Wyatt Earp.

dinkeldorf

LOL we just got back from test driving a B 200 Turbo auto. For us it's not a matter of cost but the darn thing is more spacious than you'd believe with the high H point. And with a decent size trunk too. Doesn't actually drive that well - CVT & Turbo = blech. But the space is amazing.

Raza

Quote from: mrs hounddog on March 29, 2008, 07:11:08 PM
I have a hard time finding any of these cars in this size to have any usefulness at all other than fuel economy and they provide no asthetic pleasure.  I guess if you really want the MB name but can't come up with the money for a real one otherwise what's the point?  Are these even made in Germany?

They're sold in Canada (apparently since Dink drove one), but they're mainly a European car.  Luxury in a small package is in much higher demand there, and even small cars from mainstream brands come with high end options like navigation and keyless ignition.  The A class (and I assume to a lesser extent, the B) competes with the Golf range, including the GTI.  So if someone were in the market for a GTI-like vehicle but he was badge conscious, the A class makes for a compelling argument. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on March 29, 2008, 04:29:30 AM
Not sure about the "A" class, though.......... the only one I have driven to date was an A180 CDi Auto, and it was not a pleasant experience! The engine was the real culprit, and the gearbox made a bad situation worse. rest of the car was up to the mark, though.   

I've driven the A180 CDI "Auto" as well. The A- and B-Classes are not available with an automatic transmission but with a CVT transmission which Mercedes calls Autotronic. The Autotronic is a major power sapper and harmonizes terribly with weaker engines. I found the A180 CDI "Autotronic" to be pretty zippy despite the CVT. The A150 and B170 with "Autotronic" I drove were total dogs. Slow slow slow...

The best engine the CVT harmonizes well with are the A180 CDI, A200 CDI, A200, A200 Turbo, B180 CDI, B200 CDI, B200 and B200 Turbo in my experience.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on March 29, 2008, 05:46:46 AM
How much more is the B class? There really is not any reason to buy an A over a B if the surcharge is within reason.

A-Class Price List: http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/media_library/germany/mpc_germany/de/mercedes-benz_deutschland/pkw_emb_nextgen/neufahrzeuge/a-klasse/preislisten_pdf/pkw_a-klasse_preisliste.download.pdf

B-Class Price List: http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/media_library/germany/mpc_germany/de/mercedes-benz_deutschland/pkw_emb_nextgen/neufahrzeuge/b-klasse/preislisten_pdf/pkw_b-klasse_preisliste.download.pdf

I personally would go with the A-Class because it handles sportier. The B-Class might offer a bit more space but it drives like a total grandpa car. Maybe when I am 90 I will consider one.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on March 29, 2008, 09:35:05 AM
Cool. Wimmer, why don't you get an A-class?

Maybe in the future. Depends where I live. If I live in the city an A-Class Coupe is very useful. An A170 or A160 CDI would do it.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2008, 09:46:59 AM

Versatility.  :ohyeah:

Rememeber Autobahn (Ralph)? He like regularly drives to France or Switzerland with his A-Class brining along two or three friends and a bunch of bicycles in his little A-Class.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de