ZR1 = 638 hp and 604 lb-ft

Started by SVT666, April 25, 2008, 01:32:33 PM

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 03, 2008, 06:40:19 PM
:(

Have they put the F430 Scuderia around the Ring yet?

Wait a minute. Outside of bragging rights, why does it even matter???
Why do any performance numbers and benchmarks matter?  That's a dumb question.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 03, 2008, 11:06:45 PM
Why do any performance numbers and benchmarks matter?  That's a dumb question.

Not really. Atleast as far as production cars go.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

GoCougs

I have to agree with Sporty - 'Ring times won't ever be the make or break in buying a ZR-1 (but I guess that won't stop Chevy from using it in advertising - though at least 75% of ZR-1 buyers won't have a clue as to what the 'Ring is). People will buy it because of the Corvette legacy.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 04, 2008, 09:28:13 AM
Not really. Atleast as far as production cars go.
Actually they do matter.  If they didn't matter, magazines all over the world wouldn't be testing them and publishing the numbers.  Look at how people on here argue over 1 tenth of a second.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 04, 2008, 10:35:33 AM
Actually they do matter.  If they didn't matter, magazines all over the world wouldn't be testing them and publishing the numbers.  Look at how people on here argue over 1 tenth of a second.

What does it matter if a production that no body is going to race is a slightly faster than another around a track. What does is matter if a car can go 0-60 a tenth or two faster?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BimmerM3

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 04, 2008, 01:35:38 PM
What does it matter if a production that no body is going to race is a slightly faster than another around a track. What does is matter if a car can go 0-60 a tenth or two faster?

I think I agree with you if I'm understanding your argument correctly. For a car that is going to be predominantly driven on the street, or even if it's going to be tracked but not competitively, the overall feel of the car is more important than an extra tenth or two.

However, performance numbers have become important because people like to speculate, and of course it would be great for GM's marketing department if they could best the GT-R's laptime.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 27, 2008, 11:43:42 AM
The only of the above cars that I've personally seen on the road is the Murcielago and the Ford GT (and I've seen a couple of each of them). I'll be simply astonished if I EVER see the Enzo on the road.

By that logic, the Enzo, Carrera GT and SLR are more noteworthy, because despite seeing only one Ford GT on the road, I've seen two Enzos, two CGTs and several SLRs.

Personally I think the impact of a car on history/industry is often not realised until much later on (often cars that become classic in status were not the most successful or popular cars at the time they were produced).  The CGT will be remembered because it was possibly the fastest car in the world at the time and was a Porsche with the engine in the middle.  The Enzo will go down as bringing F1 tech into a road car and because it's named after Enzo Ferrari.  The SLR, maybe just for being beautiful and outrageously expensive.

The Ford GT was a modern incarnation of an old idea (a blantantly retro design) which will count against it in acheiving legendary status.  Which are people going to remember more - the GT40 and its Le Mans success, or the replica that came a few decades later?

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 15, 2008, 08:13:55 AM
The Ford GT was a modern incarnation of an old idea (a blantantly retro design) which will count against it in acheiving legendary status.  Which are people going to remember more - the GT40 and its Le Mans success, or the replica that came a few decades later?
Well, I believe it is noteworthy for these reasons:

1. It's faster then almost anything else on the road, and I believe when it was first released it was the fastest car sold in North America.
2. It's the best handling North American car ever built.
3. It's damn sexy.
4. It's considerably less expensive then it's counterparts.
5. Kids from this era will remember this car because they weren't around for the first one.
6. Jeremy Clarkson loved it so much he bought one.

Lebowski

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 15, 2008, 08:13:55 AM

The SLR, maybe just for being hideous and outrageously expensive.

Fixed it.

SVT666

GM prices king of Corvettes, the ZR1, as most expensive GM product ever
June17

The 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 is the most powerful, quickest-accelerating Corvette ever, with the fastest top speed of any previous model of ?America?s sports car.? As such, it?s a small wonder the supercar will not only be the costliest Corvette to ever roll off a showroom floor, but the highest-priced GM product as well.

The base price of the ZR1, complete with an $850 destination charge, will be $103,300. A mandatory $1,700 gas guzzler tax bring the base total to a nice, round $105,000 but we doubt any buyers will pay that little for the car, considering only 2,000 are coming in the first year. Only two options will be offered: chrome wheels for $2,000 and a $10,000 package that includes a leather-lined interior in a choice of four colors. The package also comprises of heated and leather-lined adjustable seats with side airbags, Bose sound system, navigation and Bluetooth connectivity for mobile electronics devices. The steering column is also power telescoping.

For that number of greenbacks, buyers will get other kinds of impressive numbers: a Chevrolet-supplied 0-60mph time of 3.4 seconds, 0-100mph time of 7.0 seconds, and a quarter mile ET of 11.3 seconds at 131mph. These are 0.3-, 0.9-, and 0.4-seconds and 6mph better, respectively, than the ?other? fast ?Vette, the naturally-aspirated, 505hp 2009 Z06. The top speed of 205mph likewise headily trumps the Z06?s 198mph top speed. EPA fuel economy for the ZR1 is rated at 14mpg in the city and 20mpg on the highway.

?There?s simply no other vehicle in the world that does a better job of balancing performance, price and fuel economy,? said Ed Peper, Chevrolet?s North American Vice President.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 17, 2008, 12:19:32 PM

?There?s simply no other vehicle in the world that does a better job of balancing performance, price and fuel economy,? said Ed Peper, Chevrolet?s North American Vice President.

Perhaps Mr. VP has yet to hear of the Nissan GT-R.

Per C&D's latest test, the GT-R has virtually identical acceleration numbers (0-60 in 3.3s, 1/4 mile in 11.5s), costs $30k less, and has better EPA rating of 15/22.

nickdrinkwater

That's a really quick 0-62 time.  I'm surprised it can get all that power down so quickly.

Sigma Projects

the ultra quick times are more from special launching that the GT-R can do. Otherwise on a long straight it's not as fast as the ZR-1. But if it's a stop light drag race yea the GT-R will give the ZR-1 hell.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Sigma Projects on June 18, 2008, 03:34:49 AM
the ultra quick times are more from special launching that the GT-R can do. Otherwise on a long straight it's not as fast as the ZR-1. But if it's a stop light drag race yea the GT-R will give the ZR-1 hell.
Until the GT-R's clutches explode

I'm on the fence about the ZR1. Why not just supercharge a Z06? Doesn't it amount to the same thing?

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 18, 2008, 06:41:11 AM
Until the GT-R's clutches explode

I'm on the fence about the ZR1. Why not just supercharge a Z06? Doesn't it amount to the same thing?

I think the smaller displacement engine is better suited to hold up to forced induction.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2008, 07:01:16 AM
I think the smaller displacement engine is better suited to hold up to forced induction.
Ah cool.

Well either way it is a cool car. True world class sports car.

omicron

To be perfectly honest, I'm not at all excited by the new ZR-1. A base Corvette pushes more of my buttons than the ZR1 - far better value, better-looking, and more appropriately aligned with that awful interior.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2008, 07:01:16 AM

I don't think it's the smaller displacement that makes it better suited for forced induction, but instead it's the lower compression ratio (which probably also amounts to lower displacement in the end).  I'm guessing the ZR1 has a shorter stroke than the Z06.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on June 18, 2008, 10:04:31 AM
I don't think it's the smaller displacement that makes it better suited for forced induction, but instead it's the lower compression ratio (which probably also amounts to lower displacement in the end).  I'm guessing the ZR1 has a shorter stroke than the Z06.

I didn't word it very well - the LS7 has a larger bore, so the LS3 has thicker cylinder walls.

From Wiki:

The LS9 is a 6.2 L (376 in?) supercharged engine, based on the LS3; the LS7 block was not used due to the higher cylinder pressures created by the supercharger requiring the thicker cylinder walls of the LS3. Cylinder dimensions are now 4.06 in (103.25 mm) bore with a 3.62 in (92 mm) stroke. It is equipped with an Eaton four-lobe Roots type supercharger. Power output is 638 hp (476 kW) at 6500 rpm and 604 lb?ft (819 N?m) of torque at 3800 rpm

NomisR

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Sigma Projects

Quote from: NomisR on June 18, 2008, 12:29:03 PM
Carrera GTs are too common as you can see in this video...

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/cgtdrive/index.html

lol that's only cuz we live in So Cal :lol:

NomsiR you should join us on TrueStreets.com as well =D

FlatBlackCaddy

I'll have to start checking out the local denny's parking lot for these things. Once they start hitting the streets they won't be very hard to miss.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 18, 2008, 06:41:11 AM
Why not just supercharge a Z06? Doesn't it amount to the same thing?

The LS7 wasn't meant for FI. Plus the ZR-1 gets better brakes, different vents, wheels, and I'm sure a host of other things.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Sigma Projects on June 22, 2008, 01:10:00 PM
The LS7 wasn't meant for FI. Plus the ZR-1 gets better brakes, different vents, wheels, and I'm sure a host of other things.

Atleast half of the 50K difference between a Z06 and this ZR1 will be the badge, basically the fact you own a high po factory limited edition. I'm sure(power aside) a Z06 is every bit as capable in the braking/suspension department.

Besides, some don't care about badges and like aftermarket stuff.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pacc6_zo6_660headscam.htm

The corvette is a strange car, the best model is probably the base. As you go up from there you pay alot more for very little(relative) performance gain. I don't see why anyone just doesn't buy a base car and mod it themselves. Other than those that don't work on cars and just want to be seen in them, i'm sure thats 90% of vette owners(no different than every other car out ther performance or not) then the higher trims are just there for the cruisers and weekend warriors.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 22, 2008, 05:31:37 PM
Atleast half of the 50K difference between a Z06 and this ZR1 will be the badge, basically the fact you own a high po factory limited edition. I'm sure(power aside) a Z06 is every bit as capable in the braking/suspension department.

The corvette is a strange car, the best model is probably the base. As you go up from there you pay alot more for very little(relative) performance gain. I don't see why anyone just doesn't buy a base car and mod it themselves. Other than those that don't work on cars and just want to be seen in them, i'm sure thats 90% of vette owners(no different than every other car out ther performance or not) then the higher trims are just there for the cruisers and weekend warriors.
The performance difference between the base Vette and the Z06 is pretty big.  Despite that, I would take a Z51 Vette if I had the choice.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 22, 2008, 05:31:37 PM

the C6 is far different from the way the model ranges were for the C5. This time around the Z06 gets an aluminum chassis, the C5 Z06 shared a very similar chassis to the base C5 last I remember. So you can't just swap parts on a C6 and make it a Z06, the Z06 has a different chassis. The engine sits further back than the base C6 also. The ZR-1 I guess you could buy all the parts and put them on a Z06. But buying carbon ceramic big brakes and such aren't cheap and I'm sure there are a ton of other things that it has.

nickdrinkwater

I'd have the base Corvette convertible.  I'm not attracted to the ZR-1 at all, it's a bit too tacky IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: Sigma Projects on June 23, 2008, 12:58:15 AM
The ZR-1 I guess you could buy all the parts and put them on a Z06.
The ZR-1 uses a supercharger to boost an LS3 engine whereas the Z06 uses an LS7.  Those are different engines, so you can't turn a Z06 into a ZR1 without swapping engines and engine management system as well.